Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Already Converted V's DIY Conversion

• 19-02-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've my head wrecked at the moment trying to figure out if I should do a home conversion or buy an already converted van.
    I've narrowed my options down to buying a 00 Sprinter (MWB, 170,000 miles) from a friend of mine for €2600 and doing the conversion myself or buying an already converted 1994 Mercedes 410D (€4000, ~230,000 miles, registered as a camper).
    Both vans seem quite solid, but the Sprinter is a bit more comfortable/modern and has a bit more welly. On the other hand the 410D is converted pretty much as I'd like to convert the sprinter.
    I do a bit of surfing so I want the van for weekends away during the year and a European trip during the summer.
    My budget is pretty tight and I can't really afford to go over €6000 total cost, so the unknown VRT factor is a huge off-put. I don't mind doing the actual conversion and I am quite confident that I can get an equal if not better finish if I was to do the conversion myself, however I'm slightly converted with the number of unknowns involved with the Sprinter.
    So basically, now that I've finished that bit of a rant It'd be great if I could get some advice/hints/tips from people who have gone through the process before. How badly have people been stung for VRT on home conversions?
    Was the conversion process worse that you expected?
    Would you do it again?
    etc....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Take out a loan and buy the two of them, take the guts out of the older one and place them in the newer one then flog off the older one. Older campers are rediculously over priced in this country. A 00 Sprinter camper if done right would be worth a few bob. If you are converting a standard Sprinter ie the 310 model they are under 3.5 tonne. The Mercedes 410D has a heavier payload ie twin rear wheels than the standard sprinter. Most sprinter based campers seem to be based on the 410 models.

Advertisement