Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the cup on gear wheel side right or left thread?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

A friend has asked me to ask this, so if you need any further info just let me know and I'll try to find out...

They want to know if the cup on the gear wheel side of a bicycle is left hand or right hand threaded?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It depends on whether it is an English or Italian bottom bracket. If it's English, then the drive side (gear side) is left hand threaded. If Italian, both sides are right hand threaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

is it a sealed BB??
    if its the non-sealed(which im guessing it is)
    there should be no reason to remove the cup on the right side unless it is fecked:D:D
    its a whore to get out:):eek:

and if you do get it out tell him to put in a sealed type, saves ALOT of hassle further down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thanks guys!
    el tonto wrote: »
    It depends on whether it is an English or Italian bottom bracket. If it's English, then the drive side (gear side) is left hand threaded. If Italian, both sides are right hand threaded.
    I've just asked, and apparently it's English.

kona wrote: »
    is it a sealed BB??
    if its the non-sealed(which im guessing it is)
    there should be no reason to remove the cup on the right side unless it is fecked:D:D
    its a whore to get out:):eek:

and if you do get it out tell him to put in a sealed type, saves ALOT of hassle further down the road
    It's non-sealed.

Yes, I think he's just discovered it's difficult to remove the bracket! :D

Advertisement