Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby Bible Bashers

• 19-02-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this, and what's their opinion on it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Saw the last fifteen minutes of this last week -- was it Thursday evening on Channel Four?

On the basis of what I saw -- utterly sick-making; the children should be taken into care, and the emotionally and intellectually bankrupt "parents" should be imprisoned for their revolting, unapologetic, arrogant child-abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

robindch wrote: »
    Saw the last fifteen minutes of this last week -- was it Thursday evening on Channel Four?

On the basis of what I saw -- utterly sick-making; the children should be taken into care, and the emotionally and intellectually bankrupt "parents" should be imprisoned for their revolting, unapologetic, arrogant child-abuse.
    I saw the first half and turnt off the seond half. Yes I know there are freaks out there, so what did this program teach me or how did it challenge me? I can't say much to either.

I only like these programs when someone like Louie Thieroux does them. He adds a few extra angles so you get a value add. Sadly, I can't say the same for this program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »

For once Robin and I are in complete agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I saw this! I was going to post a thread about but then remembered I'm lazy. There were three kids, two of whom were entirely uninteresting, should have focused on the southern white kid. Not a very well made documentary, it wandered around without really saying anything. Interesting to watch but not all that involving. Jesus Camp was much better directed. I loved seeing how horrible New Yorkers were to them. It was also nice to see that boy cry, because it meant deep down there was still a sane human child who was scared of angry adults. He seemed a little on the psycho side while preaching.

Feckin' born agains.

• Advertisement

This is available free to download / watch on channel 4 on demand. (in both Ireland and the UK as far as I am aware)

350 mb so it could take a few minutes. Once downloaded you have about a month to watch before it expires.

Also all Father Ted episodes are there for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

This is available free to download / watch on channel 4 on demand. (in both Ireland and the UK as far as I am aware)

350 mb so it could take a few minutes. Once downloaded you have about a month to watch before it expires.

Also all Father Ted episodes are there for free!

Or watch it here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DP-s3AV9Kzs&feature=PlayList&p=38D7709329F922B2&index=0&playnext=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Xhristy wrote: »
    Must admit I found that part hard to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I watched the fist 15mins then got sleepy.
    I find it horrible that kids as young as 3 get that crap drilled down their throats. The parents should be ashamed of themselves.
    A seven year old boy shouldn't know what abortion is, let alone be used to campaign for/against such a complex subject.
    Ditto, a nine year old shouldn't be told he is the freaking messiah! that wont end well at all..

Galvasean wrote: »
    I watched the fist 15mins then got sleepy.
    I find it horrible that kids as young as 3 get that crap drilled down their throats. The parents should be ashamed of themselves.
    A seven year old boy shouldn't know what abortion is, let alone be used to campaign for/against such a complex subject.

But God wills it and has chosen this boy to be the messenger of His divine word.
    Ditto, a nine year old shouldn't be told he is the freaking messiah! that wont end well at all..

What if he is the Messiah? Should we not then sing it as loud as we can?

Playing Devil's Advocate,
    Zillah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Just watched it.

*shudders*

Poor kids don't no any difference. The parents are scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

For any one who reads Chuck Palahniuk this is disturbingly reminiscent of "Survivor".

Edit: If I were being horrible I would say that there is an upside. It does prove (or at least evidence substantially) the religion = child abuse angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

One common thread was each of the childrens dads admitted being horrible people before "finding God". Even admitting to beating their wife and drug taking.

So, I wonder is there a link between people needing forgiveness for their previous sins and religion. These men are so filled with guilt they are pushing it onto their kids. Very disturbing stuff indeed.

But if you have ever been to a Muslim class where they teach the kids to recite quran, not much different IMO

It does prove (or at least evidence substantially) the religion = child abuse angle.

No it doesn't, that was never what Dawkins was talking about. His argument was that labeling someone that is incapable of understanding the meaning of the label was a form of abuse. That is to say, calling a child a Muslim Child or a Catholic Child. You either agree with the proposition or you don't, there's no supporting it or disproving it.

The fact that religious parents such as these can abuse their children is another matter entirely.

Zillah wrote: »
    But God wills it and has chosen this boy to be the messenger of His divine word.
    I think God would chose someone who doesn't slur his words as his advocate.

What if he is the Messiah? Should we not then sing it as loud as we can?

Playing Devil's Advocate,
    Zillah

If he's the messiah he should use his powers (properly)

Thanks for playing:)

No it doesn't, that was never what Dawkins was talking about. His argument was that labeling someone that is incapable of understanding the meaning of the label was a form of abuse. That is to say, calling a child a Muslim Child or a Catholic Child. You either agree with the proposition or you don't, there's no supporting it or disproving it.

The fact that religious parents such as these can abuse their children is another matter entirely.

And the clear, religiously motivated brain washing and eventual damage caused to the child doesnt constitute abuse?

I am well aware of Dawkins' position on labeling. I'm referring to the sentiment regarding this kind of deliberate damage to a child ("Hell house" was his speicifc example I believe iirc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

I think God would chose someone who doesn't slur his words as his advocate.

Well He chose Moses and he had a stutter :D

Exodus 6:12
    But Moses said to the LORD, "If the Israelites will not listen to me, why would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips?"

Well He chose Moses and he had a stutter :D

Exodus 6:12
    But Moses said to the LORD, "If the Israelites will not listen to me, why would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips?"

Is that actually what 'faltering lips' means?

Is that actually what 'faltering lips' means?

My bet is that he had a stutter or a serious kind of speech impediment.

This will give you other translations of another verse in Exodus pertaining to the same thing.

Exodus 4:10

DHB - And Moses said to Jehovah, Ah Lord! I am not eloquent, neither heretofore nor since thou hast spoken to thy servant, for I am slow of speech and of a slow tongue.

EVD - But Moses said to the Lord, "But Lord, I am telling you the truth, I am not a skilled speaker. I have never been able to speak well. And now, even after talking to you, I am still not a good speaker. You know that I talk slowly and don't use the best words."

GW - Moses said to the LORD, "Please, Lord, I'm not a good speaker. I've never been a good speaker, and I'm not now, even though you've spoken to me. I speak slowly, and I become tongue-tied easily."

HBME - Moses, however, replied to the EVER-LIVING; "But yet, LORD, I am not an eloquent man, I have not been so in the past, nor in this speaking between You and Your servant, for I am slow of mouth and heavy of tongue."

LB - But Moses pleaded, "O Lord, I'm just not a good speaker. I never have been, and I'm not now, even after you have spoken to me, for I have a speech impediment."

LBP - And Moses said to the LORD, I beseech thee, O my LORD, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore nor since thou hast spoken to thy servant; for I am a stutterer and slow of speech.

NLT - But Moses pleaded with the LORD, "O Lord, I'm just not a good speaker, I never have been, and I'm not now, even after you have spoken to me. I'm clumsy with words."

WMF - "All this sounds fine, O Lord," replied Moses, "but I am not a public speaker. When I get up before a crowd my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth."

More here: http://www.innvista.com/culture/religion/bible/compare/speech.htm

Thats pretty helpful man. Thanks a lot SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

DinoBot wrote: »
    One common thread was each of the childrens dads admitted being horrible people before "finding God".
    Noticed that myself - seems to be very common among "born-again's".
    DinoBot wrote: »
    But if you have ever been to a Muslim class where they teach the kids to recite quran, not much different IMO
    In fairness, anyone who grew up in Catholic Ireland would have had to recite prayers in school. While I didn't appreciate it, it's a far cry from being forced into the streets to preach the "good word".

Thats pretty helpful man. Thanks a lot SW.

Anytime M8

I'm referring to the sentiment regarding this kind of deliberate damage to a child ("Hell house" was his speicifc example I believe iirc).

Of course, you're right, I had forgotten that part. The whole "If you don't do x,y and z you're going to be set on fire and a big worm will eat you" stuff really could be taken as abuse.

I specifically remember that poor kid focusing on the fact that there would be horrible worms in Hell, he sounded really damaged there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I specifically remember that poor kid focusing on the fact that there would be horrible worms in Hell, he sounded really damaged there.
    Absolutely - the poor little guy had been totally brainwashed and was being tormented with his image of Hell. How he was not taken from his parents and put into foster care is a mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The girls father seems to be a right creepy ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

That Brazilian girl slept in bed with her dad, very odd people. And the black guys were just in it for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

Xhristy wrote: »

Jesus never signed autographs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Press start

I watched it and was pretty disappointed with it. If you all found it quite disturbing, then watch Jesus Camp on youtube. It's quite incredible what is actually happening in the US today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pretty sure everyone here would have seen jesus camp alright, and afaik that particular camp has been shut down.

You know the way child actors tend to crash and burn. Can you imagine what it will be like when these kids take that fall?

I put this up there as a slightly more disturbing version of kiddy beauty pagents. Nasty stuff all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I wish there was a law that said that all people should be untainted with particular religeous views in their youth, and allowed to make their own, educated descisions when they're old enough to know a thing or two about the world.

Advertisement