Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter Start up

Options
  • 19-02-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

This morning I started up my Primera and the Wife's Mondeo diesel and let them both idle outside the house. After 10 mins the cabin in my petrol Primera was warm and temp gauge was at normal reading. The Mondeo's cabin was still cold and temp gauge had not moved from cold. I have noted this before on the Mondeo the temp gague only moves once the car is moving and not idle tick over. Is this normal? do any other Diesel drivers have similar experiences.
    At least the Mondeo has the heated front windscreen otherwise you would need deicer or the kettle to clear the ice of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Modern high pressure tdi's are thermally so effective that there is very little excess heat, especially when just idling.
    On the other hand they do produce a fair amount of heat when at full roar, so some have larger coolant circuits, making the initial warm-up even longer.

Some modern diesels even have additional heaters to counter this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

My 1.9tdi can often take 10 minutes of driving before the needle starts to move. Very annoying on these cold mornings.

Advertisement