Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jeep Running Costs

Options
  • 19-02-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey, was thinkin about gettin an old jeep maybe 92 - 93 pajero 2.5 commercial or similar (recommendations welcome) for bit of offroading and light trailer work. Any ideas of running costs, tax, servicing etc. I know diesel will prob be d greatest expense. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pajero is a Mitsubishi....not a Jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Really Smart Lex, Suppose I should say "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE". Are u really that anal about that kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

i had a 92' pajero once, did 30ish to the gallon - you'll get nothing more from them.

Servicing is ok on them too.....loads of spurious parts to be had for them to do a service.

Thanks 4 that niceirishfella, good to know servicing is ok on them. Can anyone tell me if insurance & tax are cheaper on commercials, I havent a clue wat the story is with commercials re tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Tax on commercials is €277 per year.

I ran a 2006 Pajero Sport commercial for best part of a year. Would struggle to get 550km from 70litres of diesel and that was on long (120kms a day) runs. I think the older versions are even less fuel effecient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

R.O.R wrote: »
    Tax on commercials is €277 per year.

I ran a 2006 Pajero Sport commercial for best part of a year. Would struggle to get 550km from 70litres of diesel and that was on long (120kms a day) runs. I think the older versions are even less fuel effecient.

Agreed...........
    Insurance is generally cheaper due to lower risk..only you and 1 passenger etc. They may charge more if you get tow cover etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

RedRag wrote: »
    Are u really that anal about that kind of stuff.

yip ;)

Well at least youre honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I've got a 97' Pajero 2.8 manual SWB Commercial. The tax is cheap at €277 as R.O.R. said. And the insurance is quite cheap aswell, I'm paying €1100 fully comp on a private policy with FBD and I'm only 21. Thats when the cheap factors stop though...

I get 25mpg, the 2.5s get around 28. Servicing is very expensive and they need their oil changed every 10000km. They dont go wrong very often, but when they do its BIG BUCKS!! My flywheel and clutch went in Jan '06 and it cost €1600 to repair with a 2nd hand flywheel and a new clutch! ONE of my batteries gave way last Friday and I had to replace that at a cost of €100 and I'll have to replace the other battery soon too.

If you do get one though, make sure its a 2.8, I wouldn't touch a 2.5 they are way too slow! I've driven a few and its scary how slow they are especially the autos! Is there anything else that you want to know?

Check out the Pajero owners club (www.pocuk.com/forums) for absolutely anything you need to know about Pajeros!

Thanks farva,

Think youve covered nearly everything there. I'll look into the 2.8's then anyway thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement