Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan buy now and get new car next year.

Options
  • 19-02-2008 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, the advert is all over the radio about if you buy a new nissan they will swap it for a new one next year. They have run this offer a couple of times now. Does anyone have any experience of it. I have asked the salesman about the small print and he said you had to pay full retail for it. Thats it. Finato.

Does anyone have any input on this. What happens if someone crashes/scratches/keys the car before you get the 2009 swap? I will be going back to ask the salesman but want to do my homework first.

Any input or obervations VERY welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

There is usually a condition about the amount of mileage you can do in that 12 months. If you go outside it, there is a financial penalty. Of course, if there is any damage in your current vehicle, you'll be liable for that also.

If you treat your cars well and don't do an extraordinary amount of mileage, then it is a great offer. If you do massive mileage and batter your car around, you'll pay for it. Simple as.

Or you can check this out:

http://www.nissan.ie/about_nissan/current_ms_general.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Remember they did this a few years ago too ? I know someone who did it -twice, and I was just waiting for the catch, except..................there wasn't one.

He phoned up, ordered the (new) one, dropped off the 1yr old one, and drove away the new one. Never did figure out how they made their money.........by taking next year's buyers out of the loop for other brands, perhaps???

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It can generate massive amounts of registrations for Nissan for this year and more than likely guarantees them again for January next year. Nissan, like all motor companies, would have a quota of cars that they have to register to hit their targets. This Double Take deals ensures they've a better chance to hit targets 2 years in a row.
    It's a great scheme and works very well. I suppose the only thing is the 3 cars they are offering it with. Not exactly my cup of tea, bar (and I was surprised at this) the Note. That is a great car to drive and is very very functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It'd be nice to buy a spanky new GT-R and get another free next year :D

Stephen wrote: »
    It'd be nice to buy a spanky new GT-R and get another free next year :D

That'd be nice alright :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the catch is that you have to pay full retail. That's a huge catch for a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I was wonderin about the trade in option.Turns out you cant trade in.Makes sense..The note is the only one of those cars thats any good IMO.Wonder why that offer aint available on the qashqai???Maybe its bcos its the only one thats POPULAR

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I was wonderin about the trade in option.Turns out you cant trade in.Makes sense..The note is the only one of those cars thats any good IMO.Wonder why that offer aint available on the qashqai???Maybe its bcos its the only one thats POPULAR

Well of course! The Qashqai took Nissan by surprise and such was the popularity of this vehicle, it knocked production out of all expectations and the factory could not keep up with demand.

As for paying full retail price, how much discount are we talking here? Probably something in the region of €1,000 - €2,000 at most. So you're probably paying €2,000 at most to avail of a new car next year. Sounds like a good idea to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thats a question we already asked. The salesman told us if we bought it outright with cash, he could reduce the price by about 1500 euro. But with this offer it was only full retail. Now, it still sounds like a good deal as you are saving one years depreciation and getting a new car next year. That has to be worth double the 1500 quid at least.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I did this myself. Beware of the costs for going over allowed mileage. Its 30c per kilometre iirc. Although, the salesman told me 3c, so imagine my surprise when i thought I had to pay around €75 as oppose to €750!

Even you cause any damage, you will have to pay for it. AFAIK, you have to insure it fully comp. Plus, generally you can only pick from a few gicky colours. I had war over this with them, but got the colour I wanted :D

Other than that, theres no real catch. Make sure to ask them if there is any extra payment involved. I had to pay an extra €3k, but cant remember what it was for. Was very smoke and dagger (although I was doing it via finance at the time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You're pretty much just hireing the car for th efirst year so?

Do you have to take an identical model next year? ie if you buy petrol now do you have to buy potrol next year?

With the VRT changes in July, if you buy the car now for full list (say a diesel), then the car you are geting next year will have a lower lit price so you wont really be gaining(possibly) and might actually be worse off than if you'd bought cash with a discount then traded in next year. All speculation but just a thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

antodeco wrote: »
    I did this myself. .....Was very smoke and dagger (although I was doing it via finance at the time).
    Hiya Bertie! When didja get the licence? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Stekelly wrote: »
    You're pretty much just hireing the car for th efirst year so?

Do you have to take an identical model next year? ie if you buy petrol now do you have to buy potrol next year?

With the VRT changes in July, if you buy the car now for full list (say a diesel), then the car you are geting next year will have a lower lit price so you wont really be gaining(possibly) and might actually be worse off than if you'd bought cash with a discount then traded in next year. All speculation but just a thought .

No you don't have to take an identical one, This time you can swap petrol to diesel on the note or Tiida Free, Or 5dr to 4dr etc..

Yes you do have to pay full retail but you can trade in, you are just allowed the standing value of the trade in ,

Av discount on a micra is about €1500,
    Av cost to change per year on a micra is 3.5k, so its saving 2k,

Av discount on a Tiida is 1.8-2k ish.
    Av cost to change on a tiida this year was 4kish also saving 2k plus you can swap the engine, which a lot of customers have already signed up for,

If you are unsure of what engine ou want next year , you can drive away in car 1 and decide in september what car 2 , colour /engine is going to be.

Its generating showroom traffic Nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This thread had been really useful. Thanks for all the advice folks. Something interesting though, the salesman was adamant the offer finishes at end of February yet a call to another branch of the dealer says end of March while Nissan.ie says end of march aswell. My friend is also trading/selling a 5 door Nov 2005 Astra SXI with full extras. The fecking thing only has 31K kilometers. Its used as a city car and has full service history. The salesman said without seeing it, it was worth about 12 grand, then he checked the book price and it came in about 13,7. So we are unsure about the salesman or what to do next. CBG.ie is coming up with a value, private sale, of about 16k

My friend is now summing up her options. She really likes the Tiida SXE and the thought of getting a new one again next year is very attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The reason they're doing this is so that they can get rid of all the excess stock they brought in that otherwise couldn't be shifted because anyone who has done a small bit of research would know that Nissan diesels, like most others, will be a lot cheaper to buy in 5 months time.

Or am I just being too cynical;)?

I wouldn't be surprised if other makes do what Nissan are doing though, and all things consiodered, if you want a new Nissan, then it makes a lot of sense to take up their offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread had been really useful. Thanks for all the advice folks. Something interesting though, the salesman was adamant the offer finishes at end of February yet a call to another branch of the dealer says end of March while Nissan.ie says end of march aswell. My friend is also trading/selling a 5 door Nov 2005 Astra SXI with full extras. The fecking thing only has 31K kilometers. Its used as a city car and has full service history. The salesman said without seeing it, it was worth about 12 grand, then he checked the book price and it came in about 13,7. So we are unsure about the salesman or what to do next. CBG.ie is coming up with a value, private sale, of about 16k

My friend is now summing up her options. She really likes the Tiida SXE and the thought of getting a new one again next year is very attractive.

Dealer is probably trying to put a bit of presure on your friend to close the deal. A bit like "I have someone else coming to see the car after you".

Regarding the value of the trade-in, pay very little attention to "asking" prices on cbg.ie or carzone.ie. Alot of those "asking" prices are set by unrealistic dreamers. The actual sale price will be alot lower.

Also the "trade-in" price is always going to be lower than the "asking" price. Remember the dealer has to service, clean and fix any little things to your car that need doing. Also they have to offer a warranty to the next owner, these overheads are factored into the "trade-in" price. A private seller will not offer most of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The downside is while you might end up with a new Tiida twice, you won't be able to give it away when you want to trade it in, as happened with the Almera.
    Why not just get a proper car once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The downside is while you might end up with a new Tiida twice, you won't be able to give it away when you want to trade it in, as happened with the Almera.
    Why not just get a proper car once?
    Must say that I agree. Why buy one of the horrible, smiley looking things once, never mind get a second one;).

Advertisement