Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compare and contrast- 2 entry level roadbikes

Options
  • 19-02-2008 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new roadbike- was going to buy my mate's but he's decided to keep it a while longer, the fecker.

He recommended Chain Reaction for a new bike, and have been looking and pretty much narrowed down to the following two. I was actually set on the BeOne Storm when I spotted the Cube Streamer. I hear the step-up from the 105 to Ultegra isn't much, but the Cube has other decent, brand-name components whereas the BeOne is mainly their own components with a few other bits, like BB and crankset.

However, the BeOne is at my upper price limit- I'd only stretch to the Cube if it was really worth it in the long run. The bike is mainly for my daily commute and longer leisure spins at the weekend. (I was originally going to go for a Giant SCR3 for 540 euro, but the Sora gear seems to get a lot of stick online, so 105 or better seems to make sense)

BeOne Storm 1.0 2007 805euro approx
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=14986
    # Frame: B1 6061
    # Forks: Carbon
    # Front Der: Shimano 105
    # Rear Der: Shimano 105
    # Shifters: Shimano 105
    # Brake Levers: Shimano 105
    # Brakes: Shimano 105
    # Crankset: FSA Gossamer
    # BB: FSA
    # Handlebar: B1 Race Alloy
    # Stem: B1 Race Alloy
    # Seatpost: B1 Race Alloy
    # Saddle: B1 Cr Mo
    # Chain: KMC
    # Cassette: Shimano 105
    # Wheels: Machine cone hubs laced to Alex DA rims
    # Tyres: CST CZAR comp

Cube Streamer 2007 940 euro approx
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24893
    Frame: Alu 7005
    • Forks: Deda Black Force
    • Headset: Ritchey Logic Integrated
    • Handlebar: Ritchey
    • Stem: Ritchey
    • Seatpost: Scape Lite
    • Saddle: Scape Active 4
    • Crankset: Shimano Ultegra
    • BB: Shimano Ultegra
    • Rear Mech: Shimano Ultegra
    • Front Mech: Shimano Ultegra
    • Brake Levers: Shimano Ultegra
    • Brakes: Shimano Ultegra
    • Shifters: Shimano Ultegra
    • Cassette: Shimano Ultegra
    • Chain: Shimano Ultegra
    • Rims: wheelset Shimano WH-R 550
    • Hubs: wheelset Shimano WH-R 550
    • Spokes: wheelset Shimano WH-R 550
    • Tyres: Schwalbe Stelvio
    • Weight: 8,80*

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're right, there wouldn't be a massive difference between 105 and Ultegra. There's also a difference in the wheels, no name wheels vs. budget Shimanos. Mind you that alone probaby isn't worth the extra €135.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Cheers. Any other opinions?

I wondered in particular if the Deda forks, Ritchey bits, Ultegra BB, etc, and any other components made it worthwhile, in the longer term?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Either do I but they look like fairly different frame setups to me.
    Sloping or not?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mmm, that Canyon's nice.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think the beone storm is reviewed in the next cycling plus if that is any good to you..

from the above the wheels and upgraded groupset make the cube much better value for the
    money, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

copacetic wrote: »
    from the above the wheels and upgraded groupset make the cube much better value for the
    money, imo.

I agree, i'd go for the more expensive one better groupset, wheels and fork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Hey luke, my bro got the storm1.0 about 6 weeks ago and I have to say it's excellent. I have a full ultegra road bike myself and I can honestly say I noticed little difference between the 105 and my own. It's a very light, very sweet looking bike and nice and stiff. The only thing I didn't like was that the drops were smaller than my own, which just felt weird, not wrong.

The frame looks deadly and the colour's nice and unusual. He stuck a matching set of Keo pedals on it and it looks quality.

He's yet to use it though, so it's just looking good down in the shed meaning I can't comment on the durability of the wheels or frame yet. For the money, it seems to be an excellent purchase.

Given that the cube's only 100 quid dearer, has a better groupset and what seems to be better wheels and frame you'd probably be better off emptying the wallet a bit more though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Cheers for all the input. On balance I agree, the Cube looks the better value pound for pound than the BeOne, and so that's what I've gone for. Cubes also get very good reviews online, they seem to be well built.
    It's funny, when I started looking I only planned to spend €600-700 max, but a combination of bike-lust and a few extra quid coming my way pushed that up. I've never spent this much on a bike before, so I feel a bit guilty but hell, that will evaporate soon enough, and anyway, you lot made me do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Good luck with the bike, it looks great.

BTW, I have bought a bike with CRC in the past & have been very happy in dealing with them :)

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    I've never spent this much on a bike before....

Before you know it, you'll be spending more on your bike than you will on your car!

Advertisement