Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your phobia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

SNOW . DENTIST. BIRDS AND VOMIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭smallgarden

im afraid of sharks even in irish waters,i know irrational!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bund

did anyone hear beat fm during the week talking about phobias they said one that i thought was funny a man with a fear of pens and hasnt touched one for ears in fear that he would sign a confession to a murder that he didnt commit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Eye Snots

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cathohara

mlettis wrote: »
    SNOW . DENTIST. BIRDS AND VOMIT

I have always suffered from emetophobia I am 41 now with 3 kids and still not over it. I went to a psychiatrist in St John of God's in Dublin who advised me to face my phobia and go to Temple Bar every Saturday night!! Yeah right! (cant believe I paid him!):mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Wasps, and bananas (only if they're unpeeled). I don't know why, but I think bananas are horrible and I can't be in the same room if anyone is eating them. My friends think it's hilarious.

God I hate bananas too. Why must they be so squishy?! I fell they mock me with their squisiness :(

Also, I've always hated wrists!:eek: Specifically the underside of wrists. They're just too delicate looking.....men's wrists aren't as bad, since they're a bit stronger looking, but I can't look at/touch my own and i can't stand anyone touching mine. Weird? Yes. Logical? .....nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kelly Madeupski

spiders, i have such a phobia. i cant even sleep in any room if theres one in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DontYaThink

I have a hugh phobia of cotton wool, wool in general and wet jumpers.
    No idea why, the noise when you rub them together makes my skin crawl.

Ughhhh they freak me out. Big Time.

Yes I am weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lugus

I have a hugh phobia of cotton wool, wool in general and wet jumpers.
    No idea why, the noise when you rub them together makes my skin crawl.

Ughhhh they freak me out. Big Time.

Yes I am weird.

Everyone's weird in some way, just some people are better at hiding it than others:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sazzo

Cats for me.always been cats.i have often broke down in tears if one is too close to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Ticklephobia. If anyone tries to tickle me, I punch them in the face, no questions asked.

Nettlephobia. Won't go near them. Unless armed with a golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Moths. Walking on surfaces that you can see through, ie wooden bridges, grates, stairs without risers, glass elevators etc
    I also have another phobia that's so strong I can't even TYPE the word, you're just going to have to believe me....eeeeeeuuuuuuw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Afraid of 2 thing:
    Dogs... normal fear
    Tongues... not so normal. The just freak me out with there absolutely disgusting grossness. *shiver* :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

snakes
    extreme fear of snakes
    i can't look at a picture of them, look at them on telly or go anywhere near a place i know has them
    i was in a friends house for the first time and i didn't know she had a snake, went up to her room and saw it, i ran out of the house and still will not go back

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Montallie

We all understand the more usual phobias, like spiders, but some phobias sound so redicous that it must make them all the harder to bear for fear people will laugh at you. I'm thinking of shoelaces or chipped teeth or someone saying oops (all phobias I know about in others and try to be kind about).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ketchup. Ugh, the smell of it makes me gag and I get freaked out if I think about it touching my skin. I sometimes move away from people who are eating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 berri_satine

People touching my knees. Uggggggh! Makes me jump a mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

Blood. I have gotten a lot better after getting CBT, like before it I have been known to faint at someone even talking about blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Terrifyied of heights, drowing and clowns.

My God, the clowns....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

i'm 24, but i still have a fear of the dark......

can't shake the fuggin thing.

i can be 30m underwater while diving, no problem.
    up in the air 35k feet, no problem.
    skydiving, easy!

just don't ask me to face the dark......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hot and heavy

i don't really have any phobias myself but a friend of mine has a wile phobia of peoples' wrists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I don't know of anyone else who has this, but I have a fear of buttons. Uugh can't stand them, thank god for zips and velcro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

germs. im brutal. spray everything with dettol. wash hands easily a hundred times a day, bring bottles of sanitisers and sprays everywhere, cannot touch door handles, wont even use someone elses mobile. im a bit of a nightmare-mostly my partner laffs at it, sometimes i really wreck him head with it though doesnt matter what i say to myself cannot talk myself out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

Novella wrote: »
    I have a phobia of butter :o

OMG! i am afraid of JAM- it is disgusting, i feel like vomiting if anyone is eating it near me.the very look of it makes me want to puke. I wouldnt even pick up a jar or anything in the shop, it is completley banned from the house. It is SICK.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

birds or just feathers - I'm getting a shiver down my spine at the thought of them.

Phobia's are so unreasonable. If you were to ask me what paralysed me when I came near a feather I could not explain it.
    And I can't imagine ever getting over it - especially if it meant coming into close contact with them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

belly buttons they freak the hell out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SnowAngel29

Cotton wool and being under water...to a certain degree- not really a fear i just get uncomfortable......

But my phobia...the one thing i can't stand, freaks me out to no end..... MUSHROOMS.

Ugh- i just dont get it...they're a fungus?? Like athletes foot. Was eating a shop made lasagne once and found a mushroom in it- I got so sick afterwards by just the thought that i ate even a tiny little bit of one. Eweee- just the thought of them now is sending a shiver down my spine...bleh..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

Fish-all types of fish terrify me.dead or alive.they are scaly and disgusting.the smell is rank.they cause me to panic.eyes.scales.wet.slimy.slithery.disgusting

BLEH

also scared of dentists {diazepam all he way for those visits}

and heights-just since i was about 15.but only heights where i can fall-like im not scared of flying just walking on platforms and things.

failure-i am petrified of failure.panic attack central at exam time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pixiegaga

i have two major ones...and i'm kinda shaking thinking about the first now...:(

first one is..cockroaches...

wow i typed the word...big step....had my first and only panic attack because of those guys...:( panic attacks are not funny btw if anyone suffers from them i feel for you...i only had one once and almost have a fear of having another...:(

second one may sound odd but it freaks me out...not so much terrifies me to the point of a panic attack but sometimes close..:P
    its getting my own hair actually cut and seeing my hair on the ground...or else watching someone get their hair cut and seeing their hair on the ground...:o i have to book a hairdresser appt 3 weeks in advance and calm myself down before the big day :cool:
    i started crying one night watching the makeovers on americas next top model because they cut this girls hair off and she had the most beautiful hair...:'(
    i also freaked last week watching my friend get her hair cut at the hairdressers (havnt beeen at hairdressers in over year..stil get hair trimmed /fringe by studet hairdresser= they realise a bit means mabey 1 cm not 3 inches...:mad:) and all her hair was on the ground with a huge pile in the corner...no joke i felt sick...
    my mom made me keep my hair at shoulder length til i was 10 and its taken 16 years but I now have rapunzel long brown hair that people comment on wheras before i had scraggy bangs....:O i resent her for it sometimes because now i find comfort in plating my hair or even just playing with it ....its like my saftey blanket and its mine...it dosnt freak me out as much when i see people who have cut their hair..(its more the process) but i always look at them lik how?...why?...
    i think it scares me also as i watched the grudge whan i was like 11....and hair in the shower creeps me too...:O

if anyone else has this fear of cutting hair phobia can u pm me saying there are others because my friends think im mad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pixiegaga

also have one of taking my pulse or others pulses and of feeling your head pulse after exercise.....day 1 of bio this is what we we doing i just copied my friends pulse and pretended i couldnt find mine....until she tried to take it for me...:(...i went all pale felt sick she was like does blood creep you out thats ok .....but it dosnt..i dissected a sheeps heart fine!!! i watched all the saw movies and can give detailed descriptions of all traps and what they involve and how to get out of them and the top of my finger got cut off..(it grew back!!) with blood everywhere i was fine...just cant stick pulses even watching doctor programes have to look away when they are checking someones pulse...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Moocawn

I've a desperate fear of being buried alive! Hate small spaces, took years to get over my fear of lifts! Can travel in them now without a bother though!

I know someone who is terrified of inside labels on clothes and has to get someone to cut them all off, random or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Blood makes me wizzy and heights send me packing!!!
    Honestly if I am more than 6ft off the ground I go gagagagagagaagg.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Falling from any great height.

Although i sometimes wonder if its the height, the falling or the preempting of pain that i fear.

I mean i have done bungee jumps and jumped from the tops of waterfalls no problem. But before i do i almost freak out. And dont even ask me to walk along the top of a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Wow, it took me so long to get through all those. There's a lot and its so fascinating. I didn't realise other people shared my phobia in man holes and any other type of metal doors to the underground. I can't step on them at all.
    i'm terrified of balloons, elastic bands, non-vinyl erasers, rubber gloves, in fact anything made of rubber (no jokes please). they raise my heart rate considerably and cause my palms to sweat.

I have had many a panic attack over these items. My 18th birthday everyone tried to make me sit on a balloon, not a hope!

Then for another birthday someone gave me a dvd but it was wrapped up in about 200 elastic bands. Lets just say I never watched that present!

I also have a fear of slipping in the rain, I thread so lightly when it rains or has been raining, I'm terrified of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bambi86

Im soooo scared of slugs and snails! Everyone I know thinks im a weirdo.... am i? or is there anyone else that has this fear!?!?!?!? Please say u do!!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Flying, even booking a flight sets my heart racing. Tis a pain I endure for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 n_dowling

Wrists, veins, and touching my neck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sarahpop

Scared of wasps and bees!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    My friend is terrified of eyeballs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

woodlice

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Hi, i am terrified of rats. I can't look at them on TV they are horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Dark, enclosed spaces and mobile phones. I really, really hate getting phone calls and texts. Sounds weird, but I don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

Balloons, popping the corks from champagne bottles and metal scraping against metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I'm terrified of most dogs. My sister has 2 Jack Russul dogs and I'm grand with them, but if I see dogs in my terrace I try to keep well away from them. If a dog barked near me I would get a big fright :(. People tell me that dogs sence fear, but its so hard 2 combat this fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Heights,even though I want to be a pilot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Don't mind Butterflies

... but

Moths freak me out big time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

Batteries and Bleach! They are everyone and its an extreme phobia!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭cizolin

I think I'm scared of studying, I can't open a book without fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Spiders (any insect).... Horses... ewe.

Leg hair?

Is that a phobia or just weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Is it leg hair on men or women (or both!)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

watna wrote: »
    Is it leg hair on men or women (or both!)?

Both. Eww.

Advertisement