Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your phobia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I have a complete phobia about vomiting - a totally paranoid fear of it. Got so bad a one stage that I wouldn't let my kids bring home friends from school in case they had a vomiting bug! I'm really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Clowns. I hate them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MagsW

I am terrified of the thought of having a baby growing inside me :eek: It really freaks me out! Yet I know that its the most natural thing in the world which makes it even worse because I know I shouldn't fear it but I recently realised I do, having previously thought I was scared of nothing after being through a lot in my life. Does anyone else share this phobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Dogs, ever since I was 3...ironic since I used to have a huge (understatement) German Shepard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

So many things scare me but I dunno If Id call them a phobia as such, I hate the texture of jeans and cotton clothes and if they rub together!! I also cannot look at anyone touching sandpaper or sugary sweets without it driving me mad!! :mad: Phobias more as slugs (since i stood on one in my bare feet and squished it.. agh) and snakes.. HATE them! Oh one more.. cows.. bad experience with them too.. I am strange! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Adzee

Spiders and mice ugh hate mice and I am claustrophobic and I remember having to leg it out of a cabin on a car ferry to france to breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im afraid of learning how to drive. I am petrified. I cannot sit in the drivers seat of a car. is there a name for the fear of driving???

Im also terrified of bearing children like MagsW. the thought of childbirth just freaks the hell out of me. *shiver*I never want to get pregnant or have a kid. I dont really like children anyway, or maybe they just dont like me?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Flying and death (my own). The two are linked without a shadow of a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Fear of Parasites... but that's not realy irational now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I have a fear of sleep. Figure that one out. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

i have an intense dislike of beetroot. i cannot touch it or look at it.
    if its near me when i eat i feel like im going to vomit and start to gag. if someone eats it in the same room i gag and have to leave. i just dont know how anyone could eat it. its wrong.

i dont have any other food phobias which is strange, if there is a weird food (within reason) my reaction is usually, what the hell is that? can i try some?

terrified of closing my eyes in the shower, getting better at it, but still need a towel over the side to clear my eyes when i know someone is standing in the bathroom without me hearing them come in which happens daily.

its like lalala showing, close eyes to stop shampoo getting into them, lalal- "HOLY F*CK SOMEONES IN THE ROOM." trying to reason with myself, i didnt hear the door, reaction? "SOMEONE TUNNELLED THROUGH THE FLOOR OR SOMETHING". my bathrooms on the second floor. and i am very imaginative so its not always people, which i am pretty convinced i will see, which is worse because i know its impossible but at the same time i know they are there until i open my eyes and see the bathroom is empty.

going upstairs in the dark, i know someone is upstairs, just waiting.
    until i was about 16 or so i couldn't go upstairs in the house alone, someone needed to be near by. i would stay up late even if i was wrecked so i wouldn't be alone. this was only at night though.

i cant go upstairs if its dark behind me either. i have to leg it up the stairs if thats teh case so the person behind me wont catch me.

i cannot sleep with my back facing the door or in the dark.

i cant sleep in my room with the door closed and i will wake up if someone closes the door after i am asleep(any other room is fine like a hotel room, even a guest room in someone elses house is fine.)

have a phobia of meeting knew people and end up closing up and people think i dont like them.

i am afraid to answer the telephone/call someone. im getting better at answering but only if i know the number.

I'm really paranoid i have sweat marks. no matter what. i almost never leave the house without a hoodie.

i cannot stand to wear a coat. i just cant. coats are wrong.
    i'm fine with plain hoodies.

fear of being buried alive, dont like having my movement restricted by anything, i get very uncomfortable watching a movie or tv show with it (like kill bill, i have to fast forward that bit). i dont know how people can wear tight clothing of any kind.

being touched unexpectedly, even just a pat on the back makes me freeze up.

paraniod that people are looking at me/judging me even though i know they are not.

oh, when i get nervous/embarassed i get hot, like most people, however i go pale rather than red, but even knowing this i am convinced my face is cherry red and people are like wtf is wrong with him, which makes it worse, then i start to sweat, even if its just a slight persperation, then i am convinced everyone is staring at me trying to figure out why the hell he is sweating buckets, even if i'm barely sweating.

stairs with nothing between them. i know a hand will shoot out and grab me or i'll fall. and stairs that shake/you can see through. i think they will break.

i will intentionally keep pain hidden in order not to inconvienince others. walked on a sprained ankle until i literally couldnt stand. and various other experience i wish i had stopped to say i was in pain.

i think thats it anyway. man it seems like a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Dytalus wrote: »
    I have a fear of sleep. Figure that one out. :P
    While I don't strictly have a fear of it, I'm not much of a fan of sleep either, mainly because I see it as a waste of what little time we have in life. Fortunately I seem to be able to function pretty well on a lot less than most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

I've a fear of dogs (a dog bit me when I was younger), a fear of heights (I'm overcoming it slowly but surely :)) and a fear of big spiders (hate them with a passion) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Echizado

Like many others, I have a fear of heights - which I'm slowly trying to conquer.... luck has been none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Well, I have 3 phobias and a few dislikes.

The worst one is definately moths. The thought of one landing on me and fluttering around on my skin actually makes me shiver.

The second one is birds. I don't really have an explanation for this, but they freak the **** outta me. If I'm sitting on a bench or something an a pidgeon comes near me I seriously HAVE to leave. If I'm with all of my friends then I'll leave alone if I have to, I can't be near them. At any time.

And the last one is deep/open water. I have no problem being in a boat or anything, but if I'm swimming in the lake/beach and I can't see or feel the bottom I feel really nervous and panicky. There's a pier in my town and my friends and I jump off it from time to time... There has to be at least 4 others in the water sorta circling where I'm going to jump in before I do, otherwise I won't. And they all have to stay in the water while I get out. I mean, I'm actually a really good swimmer so I don't know where this comes from. I think it's the fact of fish being near me.

I dislike wasps and spiders that move...

Also, I HATE going to the doctor. If I have to get an injection I try my hardest to avoid it. Which is strange, cause I don't mind the dentist at all, although fillings/extractions require injections.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RP Mc murphy

Bees, wasps these kinds of things are on my radar when i'm in the garden.

Sharks, when i'm in the sea, in particular the old great white, thanks for that one speilberg (i find myself scanning the waters for the shark, even though i'm swimming in donegal for example, how crazy is that)

These are minor phobias, i am in gereral a pumped up wasp killing machine, eat those ******* for breakfast, to all appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tcullen

Hi guys,

my phobia is confined places. I travel each day on the train to work and once the train stops I start to panic. I got so upset on my way home one day I had to sit with the driver. I have done 4 sessions of hypno therapy and found it helpful. I use relaxation cd's to try and take my mind off it.

Has anyone got any other advice for me. I have contacted Barry Sinclair to see if he can help me finally get rid of this stupid fear I have. I'm pretty stressed and know that this triggers it too.

Is there anyone else out there who has the same fear as me on the trains. I travel from Kildare to Dublin every day. The trains are really comfertable but its the fact that the doors close and I cant even open a window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

Lets see the only one i have is being in a dentist's room so even an opticians or anything of the sort, even when i got my first piercing i was in a small white room and i nearly fainted. Its not claustrophobia it only small white rooms i think. It most stem most by fear of aliens when i was younger. Oh and needles I hate needles, getting piercing is not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

For me it's heights i'm terrified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I cannot cope with being near barbed wire, or prickly bushes or anything with spikes pointing towards my eyes, it makes me feel nauseus and my eyes 'cringe'. I think it started when I was a child at a cinema. There was a film about someone being caught in a room and spikes came out of the walls towards him (this was a childrens' matinee :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Keanosmagic

hahaha i have a weird thing about ice cream sticks....cant hold them....have to put wrapper over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mini88

Has to be moths! Dont mind spiders, snakes, birds or anything else only moths! Yuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Steel wool brushes or washing pads!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 drifting

I suffer from, amongst others,

Coprophobia
    Coulrophobia
    Cyprianophobia
    Dishabiliophobia
    Dysmorphophobia
    Ephebiphobia
    Gerontophobia
    Gymnophobia
    Homophobia
    Hoplophobia
    Luiphobia
    Pentheraphobia
    Phalacrophobia
    Philemaphobia
    Policophobia
    Politicophobia
    Seplophobia
    Trypanophobia

Strangely, some of my worst phobias don't even have a name attached to them: i.e. fear of castration.

drifting wrote: »
    I suffer from, amongst others,

Coprophobia
    Coulrophobia
    Cyprianophobia
    Dishabiliophobia
    Dysmorphophobia
    Ephebiphobia
    Gerontophobia
    Gymnophobia
    Homophobia
    Hoplophobia
    Luiphobia
    Pentheraphobia
    Phalacrophobia
    Philemaphobia
    Policophobia
    Politicophobia
    Seplophobia
    Trypanophobia

Strangely, some of my worst phobias don't even have a name attached to them: i.e. fear of castration.

Suddenly I'm suffering from drifting-o-phobia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Spiders, heights and open water.
    Silverfish wrote: »
    Spiders, flying, deep enclosed water (wells and canals and stuff) , zombies (I'm serious) and fires :/

i can definately relate to the water phobia,
    i cant swim in water deeper than 1.5m cos my feet cant touch the bottom and i panic. cant even go in the water at the beach deeper then my knee.
    i cant cross bridges even in town if i do have to i run across and dont look around.
    so i thought id overcome my fear and take lessons but when it came to going in the deep end i totally froze and started crying like a baby. the fear is just so overwhelming. the worst time ever was when i visited the alwee caves in the burren we were half way through the cave coming to the waterfall and we had to cross a metal bridge which i could see all the way down (im not afraid of heights at all) and i froze it took my boyfriend almost half hour to pull me across it was awful.
    so glad im not the only one afraid of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

It may sound weird but i have such a phobia of veins.....I can hardly type or say the word. I can't look at my hands when they're all popping out and if i had to get a blood test i don't know if i could. The idea of a band being wrapped around your arm to pop them out(oh God i can hardly even type this!) makes me feel physically sick. People think i'm weird but it's such a fear and it's only really after starting up in the last few years. I hate wrists as well which again make me feel sick just thinking about them.
    More normaly i hate spiders haha. I also have this weird thing of checking the whole house before going to bed....mainly because i probably watch too much criminal minds haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Mainly moths and spiders for me. Don't mind small ones really but the big ones freak me the hell out. Especially the moths that are so big they buzz!:(
    Also I don't exactly have a phobia of them, bit I'm quite unsettled by wooden puppets, any other type is fine. I can never watch the thunderbirds series:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

Ive a phobia of baked beans. Seeing one, i cant breathe and shake out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

WASPS.....................god I'm so scared of them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vemrob

spiders but most of all flying daddy long legs(aka crane flies). yuk yuk yuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

My fears are of most insects and spiders and the River Suir in Waterford city. I have nightmares about that river on a regular basis. The thought of whats down there, what woulds happen if I fell in and just how it would be in there. I dont know its kind of hard to explain really, uggh it makes me want to throw up when I think about falling in there. How deep is it does anyone know?
    Im not afraid of most other rivers/water, only the Suir from Waterford city out.
    I also have a small fear of being a passenger in a car, but thats pretty much going away now. icon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

I have a fear of speaking in front of a large group of people. I have plenty of class presentations this semester aswell :(

kildare9 wrote: »
    I have a fear of speaking in front of a large group of people. I have plenty of class presentations this semester aswell :(

Did you ever hear of the old trick of picturing all those people sitting on the toilet?? Generally helps to stop them intimidating you and it's a good distraction for you!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dgrump1

Getting up in the morning and hearing more and more lousy talk about the state of the country from politicians and rent a mouths on the radio. Nothing changing just more and more ranting. Why will they not stop and realise the country is bust, the people are bust bring on nuclear energy so we can make a bags of that and destroy the country and its people for ever. Have a good day...Goodbye

• Advertisement

dgrump1 wrote: »
    Getting up in the morning and hearing more and more lousy talk about the state of the country from politicians and rent a mouths on the radio. Nothing changing just more and more ranting. Why will they not stop and realise the country is bust, the people are bust bring on nuclear energy so we can make a bags of that and destroy the country and its people for ever. Have a good day...Goodbye

You really do live up to your name!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 milkybar kid wk

spiders, but as a child i wasnt scared of them, its when i seen the film Arachnophobia that was it, i was paranoid all that night and i first seen that fairly young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Rice Puddin'

*Barf*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

i have a fear of eggshells, which seriously freaks me out! and im also afraid of being in water when i cant see the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Petek1

i have an unusual fear of heights, I'm fine of any high structure, but I am really REALLY, terrified of falling off of them... like, i have trouble bungee jumping and such...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I have an irrational fear of tomato ketchup, I hate having it near me and I freak out if it gets on my skin the smell is rotten bleugh! :(

I also have the common fear of heights and small spaces :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Lolnouska

spiders, all things creepy crawly.

recently i've found it really hard to sleep alone without a light on, i never used to be like this, i just don't sleep well if im on my own.
    but if my cat is there it helps!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Petek1

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I have an irrational fear of tomato ketchup, I hate having it near me and I freak out if it gets on my skin the smell is rotten bleugh! :(

I also have the common fear of heights and small spaces :eek:

what about tomato paste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 theanonymous

I don't know whats the name of my phobia, but got few of them. on starters im constantly afraid of failure almost as much of success. Im afraid of not having any friends, but i also enjoy spending time by myself. Im afraid that all effort im putting to my work will not mean nothing on the end.Im afraid of getting old too fast and loosing the best times of my live although im only 20. I wish i have more friends ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gracyj

I have fear for exams.. What is the name of the phobia of this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I dont know if anyone else has mentioned this one, but I have a serious, completly unfounded and irrational fear of SHARKS!

Of all things, I know! It all began when I saw Jaws years ago and it has never abated.

I am hardly likely to ever encounter one, but I am terrified all the same.

I was put off going into the sea while on holidays for years after I developed this, but I will now venture in a certain distance.

But you will NEVER find me anywhere near a "proper" aquarium, I will never seadive, and I will never go on one of those bottomless boats. Just the other day my OH went on to the discovery channel by mistake and I saw one for a second. I was freaked out for ages :eek:

Thankfully I am unlikely to ever see/meet one!
    *shivers*

I also hate wasps, but thats more irritation than actual fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Im terrified Im going to catch HIV/AIDS. Even picking up a petrol pump is enough to make me terrified. Just incase some sick bastard has stuck a needle, dirty needle onto it where i cant see.

Im unbelieveably grossed out about public places, buses, handrails, toilets, sinks, seats on planes, seats in pubs, seats in the doctors, beds in the hospital, nurses touching me. basically - anything i havent disinfected myself.

I clean everything each day before college, skirting boards, doors, door handles, windows, floors, work spaces, toilets. I need to come home to a clean envirnoment.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Not sure if it's a phobia but I have a fear of dogs! I have a dog, Vinci, that's the friendliest thing ever! I'm even ok walking past dogs on the street but if a dog growls at me or snarls or acts vicious in any way I freeze! Even with Vinci! I always make some sort of noise before going towards his house in case he would growl before I get there!

Also claustrophobia! If there's a clear entrance/exit I'm fine! Something like a crawl-space where you have to inch backwards to get out is not for me!

Other stuff like, height, being chased etc. would just give me an adrenaline rush! Kinda odd but hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Princessdizzy

Worst phobia is vomit. Not just the usual reaction of 'ugh'. It scares me sooooooo much. I hate being near children in case they're sick, I hate being in crowded places in case someone's sick, definitely avoid drunk people. Hate it hate it. Even if its already there on the pavement I'd have to run past in case it came after me!!!! And then the picture of it would be in my head and not go away. It's on my mind way too much. Sorry if anyone's snacking while reading this!

Plus the usual spider stuff - it's a toss up between what's worse, being locked in a room with a tarantula or a pile of sick. I might take my chances with the spider actually.

Social situations are bad too and bring on panic attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

Driving. I never had a panic attack until i had to drive. I started learning and gave up. just can't handle it :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement