Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your phobia?

Comments

Pigeons. Absolutely freak me out. Not any other birds, just feral rock pigeons. Those sinister eyes, the sheer neck of them, walking around without a bother. But particularly that explosion of flapping when they take off. Liviaphobia I think its called. Also I live in Galway City, where they seem to thrive, much more so than in Dublin anyway. Have to cross roads, go into shops and just turn around and walk back the way I came to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chickenwing

Spiders mainly .....I dont know why they just look so threatening and scary

Also if Im out in deep water and I cant see whats beneath me I get freaked out.

Also Fire :\

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

absolutly petrified of anything dead as in i just freeze to the spot and go into a cold sweat.
    (anyone elce get that)
    dislike stepladders and unstable hights.
    dislike water on face unless i know its coming
    the last dentist i went to has also given me a healthy fear of dentists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Afraid of some types of dogs particularly boxers, pit bull breeds, rottweilers - Even though I have dogs myself will go out of my way to avoid these types and panic if I meet them while walking.

Phobia of heights and terrified of flying.

Also not comfortable in water and will not go out on the boat with the rest of the family, even with a life jacket on.

Pretty pathetic, I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

I absolutely cant stand bananas. I know its weird but to me they are the most disgusting things. Their smell, their slimey skin uhhh. I wont touch one if its been peeled. I cant understand how someone would eat them. Uhhh:P I googled it and its called bananaphobia and there was loadsa people saying 'omg i thought i was the only one' lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 strs4glryflds9

I have a few phobias of different things but then again I also have a few extreme comforts. It's almost as if my love for some things make up for my phobia of others. Toilet paper makes me fall weak over every inch of my body! I get bone chills, skin chills, and even get angry and feel helplessand hopeless. It's not toilet paper in general; it's the feel of it when i rub it together, stick it up my nose dry, putting it onto my tongue (applies with anything not food related that will take moisture away from my mouth)if i fold toilet paper and it breaks while using it, and running my hands across it. And though the feeling of touching or running my hands across a towel or cotton socks drive me beyond insanity's cut off line, I find that i am more agile and weak to the pulling of their excess strings(especially when pulling with teeth causing the weird sound and feeling). Also the feeling and sound of towels, toilet paper, cotton socks being rubbed onto a rough surface. The sound of slopping one's food drives me bonkers and gives me a rush of chills and butterflies, and deep voices tend to make my ears sensitive to sound. Last but not least i cannot stand the
    feeling of dry skin. It's not the itching or cracking of dry skin that is associated with medical conditions but more of a need lotion type of thing. If I need lotion and can't find any, I go put water on my hands, feet, or face before touching ANYTHING!!! When I buy socks they have to be stretchy and thin with elastic and/or polyester. I cannot wear cotton socks and they have to be molded to fit each toe exactly the same. When I put shoes on, I must have them feel exactly the same. I will spend hours molding socks and shoes, re-tying laces in the morning or stretching each shoe and/or sock to fit my feet just right. Sometimes, I will sweep dirt off the porch, put water over it, and step in it with my socks after molding them just to make sure i know which sock is right or left the next time I wear them. However, I have comforts that are beyond crazy, for instance: I love the way that small plastic cubes feel and sound when I or someone else put the together, take them apart, and drop in a pile (the ones that link together up and down). It's meditative to hear chalk being used or use chalk myself when writing with it on a rough surface such as concrete, and the feeling and sound of bricks being rubbed or softly banged together makes me feel extraodinarily comfortable and serene. Also I have certain spots I can move my arms to see out a certain part of my eye that always changes that seems makes me feel calm and not so axious. And last but not least, biting on a soft-wood pencil...the way it makes my teeth feel is almost calming to the point that it will make me sleepy/relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Virgo80

DOLLS. especially broken, pieces that are detached. Barbies the worst, but crying and pissing dolls too. Manequins as well, and those legs used in shops to show women's hoisery. hate it.

Since I was 1 years of age, as long as I can remember.

Cant explain. Anyone got the same??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SiobhainD

Virgo80 wrote: »
    DOLLS. especially broken, pieces that are detached. Barbies the worst, but crying and pissing dolls too. Manequins as well, and those legs used in shops to show women's hoisery. hate it.

Since I was 1 years of age, as long as I can remember.

Cant explain. Anyone got the same??? :(
    I have a similar fear of puppets and those horrible dolls with the creepy eyes and I cant be in the same room as any wax figures! I dont remember what its called though but its actually pretty common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

i have a weird phobia, and i dont really know how to pinpoint it... its similar to a fear of blood, but blood doesnt trigger it, its more a fear of the feeling you get when you get a cut, and seeing other people be hurt,,, its weird... like once someone cut theyre finger with a knife, and i freaked out, hyperventalated and passed out.. its so odd to be honest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭flowerchild

I get very scared when I see a man wearing boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lucyfails

I'm terrified of spiders. If I see one (even if it's not moving or even if it's dead) I will freak out and have a panic attack, they reduce me to tears. Even seeing a picture of one makes me start to hyperventilate.

I'm also scared to read aloud at school. I used to stay awake for hours the night before a school day, dreading the day in case I would be asked to read aloud. I don't know how I suddenly developed this fear, it just came out of nowhere. If the teacher was going to call on someone to read I'd go numb with fear and get out of the room or pretend to be busy so they wouldn't call on me, and when I did have to read I'd go red, shaky and my voice would go wobbly, and I'd feel like I was about to burst into tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kyain

1. Lizard, hate it so much. Can't think about it. Can't look at it. But it sometimes come to my dream!!!!!
    2. Dark, make me like being pushed so hard

But my friend has fear of paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Maggots.

I feel physically ill, sweat, shake, get chills, feel faint, and wretch if I see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

gorillas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

SPIDERS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cirque Du Freak

Same:) spiders! If I see one and get some1 to get rid of it I'll still be shivering for 10mins straight after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

Heights...all because of the Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge in Antrim!!
    as a child I used to cross it every year, but one particularly windy year, a man thought it would be hilarious to sway it from side to side...and I don't just mean a few sways.....it was horrific and I guess that's where it kinda started!

Also petrified of any kinds of insects...creatures with loads of legs creep the f**k outa me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not sure that this counts as a phobia but I cringe when I touch, see, or even think about cotton wool.

Bloody hard to type because I keep squeezing my fingers into a fist just thinking about the feckin stuff.

Blood, guts, spiders, wicked dogs etc., none of this bothers me, but just thinking of cotton wool has me in a knot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Not sure that this counts as a phobia but I cringe when I touch, see, or even think about cotton wool.

I know a couple of people like that, some hate the noise of it when it's pulled apart (I guess like nails on a chalkboard to some) or the touch of it.

Suppose I should give my own phobias! :pac:

Less of a phobia but like the idea of cotton wool - I hate the feel of certain material, like really new bed sheets, that kinda thing, sets my teeth on edge.
    I have a semi-phobia of spiders, I'm not as bad as some people but they can completely freak me out.
    I have a big phobia of ants (thanks Cambodia!!), properly freak out and panic.
    I have a fear of falling (who doesn't) -- I'm fine in a plane / in a tall building etc. But if I'm near the edge of a cliff or at the top of the stairs I can really panic. If someone messes with me on the stairs I'll panic. (fell down the stairs as a child)
    Also have a fear of large bodies of water, I'm ok at the edge of the sea, on the beach, if I'm surrounded by water (if I was on a rock or something) I'd be freaking out. Lakes I can't do.
    I'm sure there's more lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Heights is the main one but I'm also not keen on deep water! I have lots of little ones but I think I could handle them better than the ones stated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

Spiders and recently mice.

Last year i returned home from the pub fairly drunk and was playing xbox in my room.when i could see a mouse plodding around my room it must not of seen me.it went in behind drawers and climbed up the radiator onto drawers then up xbox cables to the sockets which are above head height.freaked me out so much.needless to say i stayed in diff room

we caught him next day as he climbed up curtains behind my chair and my bro used lunch box to trap him

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Minyan

I have Emetophobia... Fear of Vomiting!

I know nobody likes getting sick or seeing it for that that matter but I actually have panic attacks if anyone near me gets sick. I myself haven't got sick in about 10 years could be more, I don't get them 24hr bugs and have never got sick from drinking alcohol.

I have it since I was small (I'm 28 now) and I was alot worse then and over the years I've learned to control my panic attacks but I dread the day when my lucky streak of not getting sick is up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I know exactly how you feel - exactly! I am the very same and always have been. I was so bad at one stage I kept my daughter home from school cause there was a bug going around her class:eek: I have no control over it and I get the panic attacks as well. One on occasion when my husband had a bug I slept in the guest room for three nights. It's an awful phobia and it never seems to ease.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Minyan

Yeah it really is awful... I don't have any kids (yet) and it wouldn't stop me but I don't know how I would cope with morning sickness if I got it or my child being sick :eek:

It has it's ripple affects as-well, there's a few foods/drinks I can't eat or even have near me because I associate them with getting sick when I was small, Peanut Butter is one, OMG even the sight of it gives me the sweats and Ciderette and Mushy peas... I'm getting palpitations even writing this lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

I get freaked out by Mayonnaise. I hate the colour and the smell and the texture and the fact that people keep in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 izeult

Teeth falling out (specifically mine), falling from a height.......and mushrooms. They're just wrong and gross and weirdly textured *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MsAllybear

i genuinely think i have a fear of snow at this stage.. yes everyone is dreading it this year, we havent got it bad yet (hope i dont speak too soon) but the thought of it is making me want to cry because i've been told certain area not far from where i live have snow this evening.
    the last 2 years is the reason, me being in car accident in snow last year (yeh i know i was one of hundreds!) and year before brother almost killed because of snow/ice.

If there's snow until march , i wouldnt leave house. even driving other day in rain/slight sleet had me in bits.

apart from that, I really do not like spiders, nightmares after even seeing one from distance. yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

IanCurtis wrote: »
    This could be the silliest yet, but I have an irrational fear of handling buttons of all things. I don't like to touch them at all. Now that doesn't mean I have zips on my shirts. :)

Funny thing is I don't think I ever choked on one as a child but I may have seen someone choking.

It's called koumpounophobia if anyone ever asks you.

Glad to see i'm not the only one with koumpounophobia!!! Can not stand the sight of buttons or to be near them, absolutely disgusting things altogether....in saying that, buttons on jeans are grand, all others make my stomach turn though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

i just really really hate cardboard! Always have always will! dunno why ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Dogs :o I could tell many stories of me running away in sheer fear when I see a dog. I once ran and jumped up onto a wall, fell off the other side and landed in a huge thorn bush :(

The second is needles. I have dodgy knees so I have to get blood tests done a bit, I always cry and shake and faint and sweat from every pore! I'm so afraid, it's horrible!!

I'd love to be able to give blood and the likes, but I really couldn't :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Heights. In fact I didn't know this site had a phobias area until I decided to ask if there was a recommended "cure". Starting to miss out on cool experiences because of this ever worsening phobia :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

getting married

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EwEw

Claustrophobia - I absolutely hate small spaces, I freak out in elevators (It's okay when they're big and modern, but small and old ones, I refuse to get into.), I feel very uncomfortable in locked rooms, I panic when someone (even playfully) throws a duvet or a blanket over my head and won't let me take it off. I feel like I'm going to suffocate :/ Grrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 benozley

i have that same phobia basically if i see someone put toilet paper on or in there mouth i will litarraly throw up and if its gets in my mouth oh my god i just puke and gag uncontrollably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 benozley

is there a name for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

cats

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EllenD

Crabs and lobsters freak me out.....the way the move is so creepy, i LOVE swimming but dont enjoy doing it in the sea in case I see one, ill go staight out of my debt just so I know they cant touch me!

Also the thought of woolen fabric in my mouth makes me want to scream!

Spiders used to freak me out but then I lived in the jungle for a month with millions of them around and they stopped bothering me!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

skeptik wrote: »
    Heights. In fact I didn't know this site had a phobias area until I decided to ask if there was a recommended "cure". Starting to miss out on cool experiences because of this ever worsening phobia :(

Hey there my boyfriend also has a fear of heights but its not as bad as what it used to be, he used to be afraid of walking over a bridge but since working on a site refurbishing old windows in houses at the 14th floor, i suppose he gradually got used to it, hope you get over your fear soon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

I have a desperate fear of clowns and painted faces, I think fear of clowns is called coulrophobia, I actually have shivers down my spine now as im typing this. I have to close my eyes if painted faces or clowns come on the telly.

Last summer i was at the circus and I sat in the back row, the clown came out of the ring and up through the crowd to bring a few people into the ring, I nearly had a panic attack that he would come over to me, my heart was racing and my palms were sweating:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 eddiejunior

Thank god someone with the same fear thunderstorms freak me out.
    On holidays in hot countries when they come pub!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ms.Horan

Balloons. . . Oh my God, I hate them with a passion :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 petercena

Swimming, i dont know how to swim and i never tried, i feel very bad when every i see swimming pools.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BoomSha

I have a phobia of exams. Not just your usual anxiety, I will lose sleep and feel physically sick over minor tests. I'm dreading my Leaving Cert.

I also have severe claustrophobia. I can't go in MRI machines or elevators, the sight of an MRI/CAT scan makes me anxious.

I also don't like swimming, bees, flies or contact sports. I am truly a fearless being. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I have two phobias, one strange and maybe one not so strange. Stickers, small ones particularly, and mannequins. Especially "nude" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lol_jk_lmfao

I have a phobia of feet! I can deal with them when they are in shoes and sometimes socks but bare feet freak me out. Also now they seem to have more and more tv ads with feet in them and i just cant watch them without feeling sick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Butterflies... I cannot be in a room with one. They just freak me out. Spiders are ok. Moths are ok. Everything else is fine...Butterflies though... seriously evil things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Spiders and needles.

Don't like outside heights either (Or staircases where you can see the floor for that matter), and although I've not flown since 2005 I don't like the idea.

And I can't stand tomatoes. Make me gag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I cant touch my bellybutton, that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Clowns, tin foil and nylon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I cant touch my bellybutton, that is all.

Me neither! And if anyone else touched it I'd porbably have to kill them!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement