Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using DHL or other courier services ?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi maybe this is the wrong place, mods please move if necessary
    but a question about couriers.
    I live in Spain and sometime I may want to move back to Ireland,
    I have a lot of stuff here that I don't plan to take back on the plane
    or take back bit by bit.
    Like a TV (37") and a sound system, anyone know a rough figure of how much it would be to safely (insured) send this back to Ireland through DHL or UPS ,

I was thinking at least €500 ?? i would pay that much since it is all worth about €3k and Ill only get f*cked if i try and sell it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

realistically, you'll need to box it up, weight it and get the dimensions.
    these are the details all shipping companies use to charge.

once you have them, ring around and get quotes. You can also get them to insure it in transit, not sure how to do this privately, so you maybe just have to bite the bullet and take the insurance charge too.

lastly, have proof you own it, I think for over a year so no customs charges apply. But you'd probably be fine and not be charged, you'd be unlucky for them to charge you if it's obvious it's a domestic goods move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You'll pay through the nose to ship it by a courier, and they'll bounce your stuff all over the place. (I used to work for a packaging firm that filled an artic every day, and the driver of a well-known courier company used to tell me that they "only bounce it once if it's marked Fragile.") You'd be better off talking to a reputable professional moving company like Nat Ross, who've been in the business for decades. They might not operate internationally, but I'd guess they'll be able to recommend someone in the industry.

(According to their website they do operate internationally, and they've been in business since 1881!)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If its not too much stuff, wrap it well, put it on a pallet, wrap this up and get a freight forwarder to organise collection & delivery by ocean / road freight. Cost will be region €200 and it will take approx. a week.

EFL Freight in Santry Hall Ind Est are one of the better ones as are Emerald Freight, also in Santry Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If going down the removals route I can recommend www.careline.ie

Very reasonable as they chuck your stuff in with other peoples in a huge truck, and then a van delivers it to your house in Ireland. I don't know if I'd fancy using a courier for a tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

hmmm .. they still won't give me a rough price ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I work for a courier company and I advise you dont use one especially if your sending your tv stereo etc. It may be ok for clothes, books etc but for stuff like that I wouldnt even think about it. Ive seen how packages are handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

hi,
    i move to spain 6 months ago and fedexed all my stuff from my home to spain. i used europlus next day (actually did mean next day to my surprise)

shipped 8 large boxes quite alot of stuff and it came to €600 - good service as it included insurance ect.... and was next day door to door

i would assume its similar on the way back also

Advertisement