Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political Correctness

• 19-02-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Do you think that this country has become too politically correct?

Im not going to use any examples from my own personal experiences so as to make this thread about what you people think and going by your own personal experiences???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

No shut the fluck up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Im not going to use any examples from my own personal experiences so as to make this thread about what you people think and going by your own personal experiences???
    Frankly, why the **** should we bother if you don't? If you want to start a discussion, its generally a good idea to, you know, start something discussable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No shut the fluck up :mad:
    Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How do you mean "this country"? Are you talking about in general, at institutional/official level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Frankly, why the **** should we bother if you don't? If you want to start a discussion, its generally a good idea to, you know, start something discussable.

Q - why i dont want to use any examples from my personal life? because i dont want to.

Have i asked for other people to use examples from their lives on this thread...NO.

I have asked do people think this country is become to politically correct goiing by thier own personell experiences. I am interested to see if people think it has become too politically correct in this country of if they think it hasnt.

does that clarify that for you aidan. If you dont like the fact that im not using any examples of my life in this thread, grand, dont bother posting on it then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Dudess wrote: »
    How do you mean "this country"? Are you talking about in general, at institutional/official level?

I mean in general Dudess. Im just interested in what people think about this.
    Although i would be interested if people do think that life has changed in a institutional?official level in the last few years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

[quote=

I have asked do people think this country is become to politically correct goiing by thier own personell experiences. I am interested to see if people think it has become too politically correct in this country of if they think it hasnt.

I think it's rather presumptious for you to assume that anybody who can respond to your thread has 'personnell' and not only that but are keeping an eye on them and there political sensitivities.
    And in a world of political correctness gone awry shouldn't it be politically correct to describe political correctness as 'socially correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Yes it definitely has becometo sensitive,
    Not sure is this this honestly true.. but apparently teachers cant call blackboards 'blackboards' anymore.. must be called 'chalkboards'.. so as not to offend any black pupils..???

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

PC ftw
    that is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Not sure is this this honestly true.. but apparently teachers cant call blackboards 'blackboards' anymore.. must be called 'chalkboards'.. so as not to offend any black pupils..???

the board... is BLACK :eek:

I'd understand if it was something more along the lines of (forgive me) "Niggerboard" but its not. So thats just silly. If its a white board, we call it a Whiteboard. I might be offended (though likely not) if they called it a Crackerboard.

Now lets talk about renaming Man-holes into Person-Holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

If we want to take the piss out of our friends I think we should be able to use whatever makes them different. If theyre short, skinny, black, goofy looking, male/female, have large ears, gay, fat, wear funny clothes, religion, too normal it doesnt matter we should be able to use it as long as its lighthearted and in good humour and we know when to stop. I think its a good thing as it helps break down taboos. The risk is if someone overhears you and gets offended.

If someone takes offence in this instance its their problem IMHO. Loads of people have suffered because of how they are different but the last thing we need is more taboos. People should wake up and distinguish between a couple of friends having a harmless pop at each other and people using stigma to be cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

what was that movie where hanibal lector got fired for calling absent students "ghouls"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There have always been people out there more than happy to feel wronged on the behalf of others who aren't overly bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

that is bullsh*t... this is stuff made up by right-wing groups and media to stir the sh*t and increase animosity towards minorities. my brother's a teacher and he laughed when i read that to him.

nesf wrote: »
    There have always been people out there more than happy to feel wronged on the behalf of others who aren't overly bothered.
    Usually middle class white women who are extremely bored and have nothing else to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Terry wrote: »
    Usually middle class white women who are extremely bored and have nothing else to do.

Or older working class women with "aspirations".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Overheal wrote: »
    the board... is BLACK :eek:

I'd understand if it was something more along the lines of (forgive me) "Niggerboard" but its not. So thats just silly. If its a white board, we call it a Whiteboard. I might be offended (though likely not) if they called it a Crackerboard.

Now lets talk about renaming Man-holes into Person-Holes.

No no no. Person-gaps. Hole has too many connotations with sexual references of the word. :mad: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

We can't even say 'that went out with the Indians' anymore as err, there's an Indian in our workplace :D
    That ain't offensive is it ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I have yet to see any real examples of this pc madness the usual examples turn out to have little or no truth behind them.
    I don't think people should say whatever they want, people need to relies that words can be extremely powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

stevoman wrote: »
    I mean in general Dudess.

General Dudess?

When did this happen? That was bloody quick! It took me my entire career to make corporal and you make general in a few months!

Congrats, sir. :D

I mean ma'am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Slow coach wrote: »
    General Dudess?

When did this happen? That was bloody quick! It took me my entire career to make corporal and you make general in a few months!

Congrats, sir. :D

I mean ma'am.

Didn't you hear she's taking over Cuba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

yup ireland has gone PC crazy and boards.ie as well for that matter

someuser90 wrote: »
    what was that movie where hanibal lector got fired for calling absent students "ghouls"?
    The Human Stain. He was getting frustrated at the way a certain group of students never showed up and he finally asked "do they really exist or are they perhaps... spooks?" - meaning ghosts but of course, just his luck, they were black.

Bummer.

magick wrote: »
    yup ireland has gone PC crazy and boards.ie as well for that matter
    Can you give an example of either?

Slow coach wrote: »
    General Dudess
    gerky wrote: »
    Didn't you hear she's taking over Cuba.
    :D

I'm finding it really hard to answer the question posed by the OP. I mean, I'm not sure how one could tell whether Irish society has become more politically correct. And as opposed to when? Is it that we feel we have to be more careful about what we say or what?
    Maybe the media might be a gauge. Certainly there are terms that wouldn't have batted an eyelid in the 60s which we wouldn't use now. Is that a conscious decision though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yep. We're not allowed bring up the subject of Shakespeare's famous play on PC grounds. i.e. we're not allowed mention it on our PCs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Here's a pretty good example:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239805

Poster complains about poor levels of English in call centers which service English-speaking countries and everyone jumps on him with accusations of racism. I don't know whether this is actually political correctness or just brain dead mob mentality to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

who here did letterland? i didnt, but i remember my brother and sister doing it...

wicked water witch is no more (at least in nz...)... she's not PC cos she's a witch. it's some walrus now. personally, i thought that was taking things too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Political Correctness is certainly making inroads on Irish society, but thankfully not to the degree that can be seen in Britain. It'll be a cold day in hell before I teach my kids "Baa, Baa, Rainbow Sheep".

That said, on the subject of nursery rhymes, I have changed one line in my rendition of "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo" to be "Catch a baby by the toe."

Anyway, the whole PC-thing is a paradox. Political Correctness is intolerant of perceived intolerance.

When I order a 'black coffee' or ask my son what he wrote on the 'blackboard' in school today - I am not being disrespectful to 'black' people. If someone takes me to task on using such a term they are being disrespectful to me as they are wrongly assuming that I have been disrespectful in the first instance.

Those lefty, happy-clappy, sandal-wearing, tree-hugging, PC-loving twats should fu¢k off back to whatever all-inclusive 'black hole' they crawled out of in the first place. Now that's calling a spade a spade.
    Bummer.
    'Gay person' surely? ;)

oh yes, rainbow sheep. and i dont think it's three blind mice anymore... getting their tails cut off was offensive to blind people i think... heard 5 blind octopus today...they get washed off a rock when a wave comes along. you get to make funny motions while singing along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

oh yes, rainbow sheep. and i dont think it's three blind mice anymore... getting their tails cut off was offensive to blind people i think... heard 5 blind octopus today...they get washed off a rock when a wave comes along. you get to make funny motions while singing along.

wtf? Bit offensive if you ask me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its no harm for people to be respectful to other cultures etc but sometimes its annoying when someone accuses a person of rascism over making a comment that is most likely true. Some people just don't get that race related isn't necessarily racist.

I don't understand people who get offended by proxy about things like the angelus and cribs at Christmas, its no real offence to people of other cultures. Its right to stand up to someone when they make a truely racist comment but to make a big deal out of something from our culture that is doing no harm bugs me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Aye its gone way over the top if you ask Pighead. For instance, just found out that 6th drives a moped. Now a few years ago Pighead would have been able to put up this picture without any fear of incriminations: http://static.flickr.com/113/303543410_f3b2200577_m.jpg

but now people would be chirping "But thats not fair to the fat people, what if 6th thinks you're calling him fat and he gets really upset?" Ya see to Pighead that would have been just a slightly amusing picture of a large man on a moped. But the chirpers have turned it into a "Pighead hates fat people" extravaganza.

These days Pigheads forced to put up this picture when talking about 6th on a moped.
    http://lh3.google.com/_BmS5LkJRyqA/RoDCFzr3D_I/AAAAAAAAABM/-1GN77vfZjs/s800/IMG_1345.JPG
    Wouldn't mind but yer man look snothing like 6th. He's not even european! And thats probably not even really a moped. But thats PC'ness for ya.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    wtf? Bit offensive if you ask me!

she's not blind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Schools still use chalk? :confused:

Terry- you yourself banned at least two people from a thread for calling someone a racist when it was uncalled for.

I dont think Ireland itself has gone too PC. I think alot of people on boards just give off the impression that we have. Case in point, the thread Terry banned two people from. A load of people were saying the OP shouldnt have mentioned the race of people who he had some type of bother with. People describe people as something all the time. Blonde, ginger, small, fat, skinny, muscled, long haired etc etc. Grow up ffs.

Lets put it in perspective. A mate of yours tells you they were with a taxi driver who didnt know the location of a well known place in town, say, Busaras for example. Straight away you are going to assume the driver is foreign. And you are probably right. If you read that a man was badly wounded in a machete attack at a wedding or a funeral, you will assume it was a traveller event. Again, probably right. Similiarly, if you read that a man was shot dead in Finglas last night, the chances are he probably wasnt Chinese or Spanish.

It is as much a measure of the level of utter suptidity of some seemingly sane people as anything.

edit- just read the call centre thread.

Can an AH mod be banned by another AH mod out of curiousity?

Can anyone tell me exactly what is wrong with generalisations that apply to a majority, or a massive minority at least?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

it seems to be the media that flags PC issues when there isnt one in the first palce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

The Human Stain. He was getting frustrated at the way a certain group of students never showed up and he finally asked "do they really exist or are they perhaps... spooks?" - meaning ghosts but of course, just his luck, they were black.

Bummer.
    What's the difference between Philip Roth and a Pizza?
    A Pizza doesn't scream when you shove it in the oven.

He really is a talentless pr1ck. On his own he demonstrates that the German's should have won the war because though they weren't perfect they would at least have murdered Philip Roth.

Yes they would have murdered alot of other people who did not deserve to die, but if they'd killed Philip Roth that would have gone some way to justifying the holocaust.

MM

Well that's your opinion. I personally consider American Pastoral to be one of the best books I've ever read.

As for your comments in the context of the Holocaust: uncalled for. Tone it down.

(Yes, I'm aware of the irony of the above).

Anyway, back on topic...

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Terry- you yourself banned at least two people from a thread for calling someone a racist when it was uncalled for.
    And I'd do it again.
    I dont think Ireland itself has gone too PC. I think alot of people on boards just give off the impression that we have. Case in point, the thread Terry banned two people from. A load of people were saying the OP shouldnt have mentioned the race of people who he had some type of bother with. People describe people as something all the time. Blonde, ginger, small, fat, skinny, muscled, long haired etc etc. Grow up ffs.
    I completely agree.
    A simple analogy would be when you see a bunch of girls walking down the road.
    one of them is black.
    YOu turn to your friend and say that you think the black girl is hot.
    This does not make you a racist.
    Saying the black girl is ugly does not make you a racist either.
    You're just using the first recognisable thing which distinguishes her from the other girls to describe who you are talking about.
    The same works for a brunette among and bunch of blondes.

Lets put it in perspective. A mate of yours tells you they were with a taxi driver who didnt know the location of a well known place in town, say, Busaras for example. Straight away you are going to assume the driver is foreign. And you are probably right. If you read that a man was badly wounded in a machete attack at a wedding or a funeral, you will assume it was a traveller event. Again, probably right. Similiarly, if you read that a man was shot dead in Finglas last night, the chances are he probably wasnt Chinese or Spanish.
    Got a cab the other night.
    The guy was Irish and didn't know where my estate was.
    He told me that he was justt filling in for a friend. :)
    edit- just read the call centre thread.

Can an AH mod be banned by another AH mod out of curiousity?

Can anyone tell me exactly what is wrong with generalisations that apply to a majority, or a massive minority at least?

No, we can't ban another AH mod.
    WhiteWashMan can tell them to stop posting (as has happened before), but we can't ban each other. They system won't allow us. I've tried. :)

I closed that thread because it went off the rails really quickly and I didn't agree with the comments being made towards the OP.

I didn't ban anyone because it really would have meant banning at least five people and then having a dispute with other AH mods, something which is generally done in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Pighead wrote: »
    Aye its gone way over the top if you ask Pighead. For instance, just found out that 6th drives a moped. Now a few years ago Pighead would have been able to put up this picture without any fear of incriminations: http://static.flickr.com/113/303543410_f3b2200577_m.jpg

but now people would be chirping "But thats not fair to the fat people, what if 6th thinks you're calling him fat and he gets really upset?" Ya see to Pighead that would have been just a slightly amusing picture of a large man on a moped. But the chirpers have turned it into a "Pighead hates fat people" extravaganza.

These days Pigheads forced to put up this picture when talking about 6th on a moped.
    http://lh3.google.com/_BmS5LkJRyqA/RoDCFzr3D_I/AAAAAAAAABM/-1GN77vfZjs/s800/IMG_1345.JPG
    Wouldn't mind but yer man look snothing like 6th. He's not even european! And thats probably not even really a moped. But thats PC'ness for ya.

6th is crying now, Paul is such a meany!

Advertisement