Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds Fries and Chipper Chips

• 19-02-2008 4:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

.....so there I was wondering - why do chips from the Chipper generally taste different (and nicer) then those frozen ones you put in your own deep fat fryer?:confused: Same thing with McDonalds food - generally tastes different (and nicer) as well,....

in the case of Mc D's its probrably some evil corporate conspiracy but what about the Chipper food?

Does anyone know for certain why this is?

Comments

Your sober at home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cause the Chipper ones are Fresh & actually contain potato not full of E Numbers like the Mc Donalds & Frozen Counterparts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

McDonalds doesn't even qualify as food really, it doesn't decompose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The-Rigger wrote: »

not even made from real potato i thought,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I have listed a few reasons below

Bigger hotter deep fat fryers.
    Different oil.
    7 billion bags of chips/batter burgers/fillet fish cooked in the oil before yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Its the oil chippers use.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Chippers use different a kind of spud apparently, one's grown just to provide the Italian chippers with their chips. I have no idea if this is actually true, but I knew loads of Italian kids from chipper owning families in Dublin growing up and this is what they told me. They may well have just been taking the pi$$.

I was also told that Leo Burdocks (greatest chipper in Dublin and possibly the world) still use actual lard to fry their grub instead of oil or vegetable shortening and that's why it tastes so good!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

orestes wrote: »
    Chippers use different a kind of spud apparently, one's grown just to provide the Italian chippers with their chips. I have no idea if this is actually true, but I knew loads of Italian kids from chipper owning families in Dublin growing up and this is what they told me. They may well have just been taking the pi$$.

I was also told that Leo Burdocks (greatest chipper in Dublin and possibly the world) still use actual lard to fry their grub instead of oil or vegetable shortening and that's why it tastes so good!

Most Chippers use lard not just Burdocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Most Chippers use lard not just Burdocks

Damned Italian basturds lied to me :mad:

I'm gonna go smash up some mopeds, one of them must belong to one of those guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A lot of chippers will par cook chips, there are threads about this, with tips how to do it. Many will call them "reheats" but that is why they are so nice to many. I am not sure if they are using lard or just hydrogenated oil blocks, both look the same and many presume it is lard.

Regarding lard have a read of this, might surprise most.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238028

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think Maccie D-fries and chipper chips are different breed of animal. They both have their merits.

Chipper chips are cooked in animal fat AFAIK. If you cook chips at home in cookeen or the like, you get a *similar* flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Holy Sh*t...just did some research on what's in McD's fries...guess I won't be eating them again! ok back on topic, most chippers do the "reheat" jobs, supposed to make them nice & crispy & they also use the lard stuff to make them taste nice....I'd love a bag of Henry & Rose chips right now...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

orestes wrote: »

Italian people make the BEST chips ever. I had the most fabulous chips on holidays in Italy years ago, and I also had a chip pizza which was amazing! (Surprisingly!)

I never deep fry chips at home, we haven't in a long time, but I still think our homemade ones tasted nicer than chipper chips. (This obviously does not include KCs chips which cannot be beaten!)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Holy Sh*t...just did some research on what's in McD's fries...guess I won't be eating them again!
    care to share that with the rest of the class? i'm intrigued. i just thought they taste different cos they're super-thin

and Janeybabe, yes those Italian pizza-roll things with chips in are AMAZING :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

The-Rigger wrote: »

I notice that he didn't put lids on some and did on others - and never showed whether the lids were on the food as they were decomposing over time. Surely if you cut off the air supply, it restricts the ability of micro-organisms to propagate?

Anyway, McDonalds chips are delicious. As is a lot of the rest of their food. In moderation of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Beerlao wrote: »
    care to share that with the rest of the class? i'm intrigued. i just thought they taste different cos they're super-thin

I thought it was because they were made with flour and flavouring? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I know the best quality stuff (and it's way more expensive than run of the mill vegetable oil) that i can get is called PREP. It's a semi solid, lard like goo (for want of a better word) it pours.. but just about. It makes for wonderful chips. If you have mega big chippers like the ones they had while i was in Intel you can strain it every night as its high enough quailty and its even nicer the older it gets. I would imagine that through the big supply chains they can get an even higher lard ratio version.

Big chains go through huge volumes of chips therefore need a cooking liquid that will withstand the constant high temp and constant use. Your regular vegetable oil wouldint stand a chance. You get what you pay for in most walks of life ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Most chippers inc supermacs (used to work there in my young days) put a seasoning nix on them which is aromat and salt so basically msg - makes everything mighty tasty but is pure sh**e for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

janeybabe wrote: »
    I thought it was because they were made with flour and flavouring? :p
    From what i've learned in my nutrition class, the Mc Donalds ones are made from starch and flavour comes from E numbers and alot of salt.

I'll never eat em again myself but since the smell coming from those fast food places makes me nauseous nowadays that must be a good thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TomCruise

themadchef wrote: »
    I know the best quality stuff (and it's way more expensive than run of the mill vegetable oil) that i can get is called PREP. It's a semi solid, lard like goo (for want of a better word) it pours.. but just about. It makes for wonderful chips. If you have mega big chippers like the ones they had while i was in Intel you can strain it every night as its high enough quailty and its even nicer the older it gets. I would imagine that through the big supply chains they can get an even higher lard ratio version.

Big chains go through huge volumes of chips therefore need a cooking liquid that will withstand the constant high temp and constant use. Your regular vegetable oil wouldint stand a chance. You get what you pay for in most walks of life ;)

Ahhhhhhhh! intel chips! The worst chips in the history of the world. I don't know how theyt manage to make food so tasteless in here. And courgettes manage to make there way into everything they serve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement