Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any solid figures on the % of self builders

Options
  • 19-02-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

The market for cases and motherboards and power supplies and coolers etc etc
    is just the % of people who build their own, I've always wondered what the percentage is and how many buy your dells and hp's etc etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

id reckon 90/10 in favour of the people who buy dell's and dont know exactly what they're getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

id agree with royalmarine, 90% of ppl who look at a computer spec wise, look at just 3 things (in my experience anyway) *hard-drive capacity* *ram* *number of usb ports*

i dont know about solid figures, but im gonna guess that the figure is below 0.5% anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

id agree with royalmarine, 90% of ppl who look at a computer spec wise, look at just 3 things (in my experience anyway) *hard-drive capacity* *ram* *number of usb ports*

i dont know about solid figures, but im gonna guess that the figure is below 0.5% anyway.

Dont forget Cup holder !

oh ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

well in a country where you cant source decent parts local I'd say they are right in sticking with a brand name.
    also not everyone has the time nowadays to be running to and fro from the post office to collect parts;)

• Advertisement

well in a country where you cant source decent parts local I'd say they are right in sticking with a brand name.
    also not everyone has the time nowadays to be running to and fro from the post office to collect parts;)

more places online should accept laser card, it would make it far more acceble to more ppl.

+1 to the post office thing....they should also look into emailing us the parts :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That was probably the biggest pain in the tits for me alright, making sure I was awake (cause I worked nights) and in the flat and they had my phone number (cause the doorbell was broken). Now of course, I'm back in the real world with people doing 9-5s etc and get stuff shipped here to the office and I even have a spare room I can store and build in :D

What's important to Joe Soap who's buying a computer from Dell? Memory (this means hard disk space to him), screen size and sometimes they know what RAM is (but still call the hard disks Memory).

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

this came up in the results of a steam survey on their gamers and they reported that less than 5 percent of the people surveyed had a custom built rig and then there was some other slightly larger figure for people who had replaced their graphics card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

90/10 is even too generous a figure. I'd say 98-99% of people buy their machines pre-built as a package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

90/10 is even too generous a figure. I'd say 98-99% of people buy their machines pre-built as a package.

yep i'd go with that figure.

emailing parts.
    Its scary the other day while waiting for some "delayed post" I was thinking of a way to put the postie out of business!
    emailing the parts had crossed my mind:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

yeah i guess i was too generous :p

ignorance isnt bliss in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The 3 biggest stumbling blocks preventing the introduction of parts by email are,

If your BB provider has a CAP

Parts could get mislaid in SPAM folders

And of course, there's the high probability that they could arrive with on-board viruses.

:D

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i have only gotten into building comps in the last 3 or so months- knew absolute squat before that and the only reason i started getting interested cause of these two lads i live with who know loads about comps and always had to help me fix my old comp but strangely enough they both buy off Dell and have Dell comps.

i asked one of them before why they havent built their own comp yet and he said cause there are always problems with the build and it always takes you far longer to finish. they really do live by dells. But in fairness it has taken me the last 3 months to finish my first build and it still has issues so it is indeed a thing that takes up alot of time and brain space. cause of this i do understand why people just buy dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd discount the "local parts" thing straight off. Most parts are readily available from UK sites and some have .ie domains. All in all it doesnt take all hat much longer to get parts as it does for a UK buyer, most of whom will be buying online unless the are stuck or have enough money not to care about price.

I've just built my 2nd machine, and the only slight glich I came across was a sound issue that resolved itself when I updated windows. All in all from when I booted with the windows disc in to being in windows about to run windows update, took about an hour. The building was about the same.

Computers still seems to be a "way out there, geeky thing" for a lot of people, much like car maintenance (serviceing etc). People seem to think if they touch either, they will break them, both of which I took up in the last few years and can honestly say are quite easy.

Advertisement