Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Chelsea quietly closing in on The Quadruple?

• 19-02-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I think Chelsea are at the moment closer than any club has ever been to achieving the Holy Grail that is 'The Quadruple'.

Carling Cup: They're in the final on Sunday against Spurs and will be the obvious hot favourites.

FA Cup: 1/4 final to come against Barnsley. Favourites for the competiton, on the face of it only really Utd stand in their way.

Champions League: Again hot favourites to beat Olymp1akos and progress to 1/4 finals. I wouldn't put any of the reamining clubs as favourites ahead of them.

Premier League: And then we come to the league and this is were I think the big surprise will come. I honestly think they will finish 1st/2nd. Next 3 games are away. If they negotiate them safely then I see them fighting all the way to the final weekend. They are 'unbeatable' at home and have Arsenal and Utd to visit Stamford Bridge...I think they will win both games.

Here are their remaining league fixtures:
    West Ham v Chelsea
    Sunderland v Chelsea
    Tottenham v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Middlesbrough
    Man City v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Wigan
    Everton v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Man Utd
    Newcastle v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Bolton

Of course, it's still a tall order and they'll need to put in a huge effort in the next 3 months, but I think it's remarkable that they're in this position at all with the players they've missed through injury/ANC. Full squad now - Terry and Lampard fit, Essien, Drogba, Kalou, Mikel back from internationals, Anelka looks settled now...

...it actually wouldn't surprise me if they pulled it off!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Cup and League Cup double I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

no... spurs won the league cup final next sunday 2-1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Surely the league is going to Arsenal and United?

Its more likely they'll win none of them then win three of them, never mind four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

ditpoker wrote: »

:D I hope so!

Trilla wrote: »
    Surely the league is going to Arsenal and United?

Its more likely they'll win none of them then win three of them, never mind four

Both of them..that's be a first:D

Arsenal...63
    Utd........58
    Chelsea..55

...Chelsea play both at home. Biggest ask of the lot, but they are very much in the title race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They had a decent chance in doing it last year. If they didn't choke against Liverpool in the champions league, and took advantage of a few Man Utd slip ups in the league then who knows.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nope.

They won't win the league. Personally, I think either United or Arsenal, or both, will beat them at Stamford Bridge before the league is finished.

With some of their big players yet to come back, any of the cups are a fair shout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i second the domestic cup double shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

As a Chelsea fan id obviously love it but i would very much doubt it. Any or all of the cups is a possibility IMO, but the league is out of the question. I cant see them beating BOTH manu & arsenal at stamford bridge, maybe one win and one draw. They will also need to capitalise on mistakes made by the other two, which they havnt been doing, and at this stage of the season i dont see them having enough opportunities to do so.........I can dream though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At this point Chelsea have a pretty decent chance of finishing the season empty handed.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

mike65 wrote: »
    At this point Chelsea have a pretty decent chance of finishing the season empty handed.

Mike.

Not really

They are strong favourites to beat Spurs even if they do nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think they are favorites for the league cup.
    I think they are joint favorites for the FA Cup.
    I don't think they have a great chance in the CL. IMO Grant will be beaten by another top manager, this is best shown by how they have done against the best teams this year.
    I don't think they are likely to win the league. They have a great shot at it, but personally I don't see it. That said, it wouldn't hugely surprise me to see them win it. But I think as Fergie said the league might be decided between those three teams playing each other, and I think Arsenal and United will beat them.

I would be absolutely utterly amazed if they win the quadruple. Personally I can see them winning nothing, I have a quiet belief in Spurs winning this, with a MOM performance from Keane :)

p.s.
    I think the holy grail is not what Chelsea are doing, but if their first team had won the treble, and their reserves had won the league cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Can't see how people can rule them out. As the season comes into its most important phase, Chelsea's squad are looking stronger than they have all season as big players come back into fitness.
    As a united fan I still have dreams of a treble so I really hope Chelsea slip up, but they're in with a shout IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DSB wrote: »
    Cup and League Cup double I'd say.

Hopefully they win the league cup and yes I think they might win the FA Cup. As for the league, it is coming back to North London imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Nunu wrote: »
    Are Chelsea quietly closing in on The Quadruple? !

no!!! :D (2 trophies max)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Odds wise Chelsea surely have the least chance of the top 3 to finish empty handed. They're probably about 4/7 to win the cup this sunday and they're around 13/8 to win the FA cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'd say liverpool have as much chance of winning the premiership this year as chelsea have winning the quad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I notice the BBC remarked that Grant didn't appear to be as calm as he usually is tonight. has Ambramovich raised the bar in terms of expectations once again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Personally I wasn't taken on the Grant appointment, still aint. The way they play and move is a mirror or what it was under Jose. Now they have great players with experience so the players can keep going and do what they do. As JT said, he hasn't changed anything just kept it rolling. In my opinion the run of form is down to the players not Grant, this is a team after all that has broken pretty much every record in english football over the past few years.

Grant I feel will get found out when the pressure starts to turn about a month from now. We will see the real Avram Grant then. So for that I'd love us to do the quad but really I only see two domestic cups coming our way. I'm very much open to been proving wrong mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think the problem now with having both Anelka and Drogba fit may be Chelsea's downfall this year.

If Grant changes the formation to fit them both in up front, I could see them drawing a couple more games than they should.

It's what caused Mourinho problems with Shevchenko and Drogba so I can't wait to see what Grant decides to do.If he plays Anelka out on the left like he did last night.
    This could make or break their season.

Still don't think they will do the Quadruple either ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

iregk wrote: »
    Grant I feel will get found out when the pressure starts to turn about a month from now. We will see the real Avram Grant then. So for that I'd love us to do the quad but really I only see two domestic cups coming our way. I'm very much open to been proving wrong mind you.

Wouldn't be surprised to go out of the CL very soon, Grant doesn't have the tactical ability as was shown by his failure to make changes last night, for the first time ever I'm actually considering that spurs could beat us on Sunday, the league is gone as far as i'm concerned and an FA cup fnial against Utd a game I wouldn't be betting (much) on.

1 cup for us this year.

Having anelka and droga fit is unlikely to be anyones' downfall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

your posts are hilarious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

growler wrote: »
    Having anelka and droga fit is unlikely to be anyones' downfall :rolleyes:

Are you trying to say Mourinho's downfall wasn't having both Shevchenko and Drogba? And same goes for Lampard and Ballack?

He had to change formations to play a system to suit them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yes, but how many other teams have been in this same position at this point in the football calender? I'd wager several.

iregk wrote: »
    this is a team after all that has broken pretty much every record in english football over the past few years.

:confused: enlighten me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Are Chelsea quietly closing in on nothing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭secman

Looks like its only the treble now!!!!

Secman

Lock please mods, lets not have this one dragged back up in a few months time:rolleyes:

:o

mods please amend title to - Are Chelsea quietly closing in on The Treble?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Better title suggestion:

Will Grant be replaced when Chelsea win 0/1 trophies?

It's beginning to look like it's the squad that's getting Chelsea through and Grant's lack of ability is going to be found out in the tough games.

gosplan wrote: »
    Better title suggestion:

Will Grant be replaced when Chelsea win 0/1 trophies?

It's beginning to look like it's the squad that's getting Chelsea through and Grant's lack of ability is going to be found out in the tough games.

Here Here:D

Ive already said it in another thread, but it never hurts to be backed up;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Come On You Spurs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

ditpoker wrote: »

spooky

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arf.

Advertisement