Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electic plane - Transmit signal when battery goes below certain voltage

Options
  • 19-02-2008 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was thinking that surely it would be possible to attach a small device to the battery in the plane that would transmit a signal when you go below a certain voltage.

So the plane won't die in the air!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Not necessary .. .we already have it!

The BEC (battery elimination circuit) in all decent speed controllers will automatically switch off the engine upon battery brownout, and conserve remaining power so that the radio controls, receiver, servos all function for ages, while you glide in for a safe landing. The plane continues to fly perfectly of course with engine off - the engine only being necessary if you want to climb.

If you want a later "burn" so as to climb over the hedge back into the correct field, get over a tree, or whatever, just throttle down to zero for a second, and the BEC resets itself.
    Now when you apply throttle the power runs to the engine as well as the controls, until you go too hard and "brownout" recurs. That tells the BEC to kick in again.

Many of us will know it's overdue long before it kicks in, because from the feel of the plane a gentle power reduction is quite obvious. So we are waiting for it, and trying to guess if we can judge it exactly when it will happen, just to see if our judgment is as good as the voltmeter in the BEC! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Yes. I knew about it containing power for the servos etc.

Didn't think to ever pull down to 0 and back on for that extra bit of throttle though.

I suppose I will just get a feel alright for when the battery is beginning to die. A little light would be handy for a beginner though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

dont see why you couldnt use somthing like this
    http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=1400

Im sure if you cant buy one for the voltage you are using, you could easily (with a little bit of electronics know how) either make one, or modify one.

I got one in me heli, and you can see it from quite a distance, but dunno how good it would be on a fixed wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Maybe this may help...lost model locator with low battery indicator
    http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/accessories/lostmodel/lost_rc_model_alarm.html
    or this...
    http://www.rcflyair.com/

Remember that with lipos (if u use them), its best to only take about 80% of the power from them.

Advertisement