Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9800gtx

Options
  • 19-02-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

From the Inquirer today:

The 9800GTX just popped up in their top secret docs, with only one spec attached to it, 768M.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/18/follow-teh-8800gtx

With that little bit off info, many reckon it will be a 384bit bus, 24rops with fast memory (maybe Gddr4/5) and insane core/shader clock (850/2000)...

If true if could make and going by how well the G92 8800gts was optimized it could be class....

9800GX2.gif

50% faster than 8800gtx ultra?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    From the Inquirer today:

The 9800GTX just popped up in their top secret docs, with only one spec attached to it, 768M.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/18/follow-teh-8800gtx

With that little bit off info, many reckon it will be a 384bit bus, 24rops with fast memory (maybe Gddr4/5) and insane core/shader clock (850/2000)...

If true if could make and going by how well the G92 8800gts was optimized it could be class....

9800GX2.gif

50% faster than 8800gtx ultra?

no way say it will be 20% top's its gona be like the 7800gtx not that fast compared to its family but the 7900gtx was the faster one,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

From VR-Zone:
    VR-Zone has gotten some details and photos of the GeForce 9800 GTX (G92-P392) card. It comes with 12-layer PCB at 4.376" by 10.5". This card is clocked at 673MHz for core and 1683MHz for the shader while memory clock is yet to be determined. The memory interface is 256-bit with 512MB of 136-pin BGA GDDR3 memory onboard. It comes with two DVI-I and one HDTV-out. There are two SLI connectors and two 6-pin PCIe power connector. The card employs the CoolerMaster TM67 cooler where the fan is rated at 0.34A, 4.08W, 2900rpm, 34dBA. The total board power is 168W.

And a few screen shots from 3DMark06 and GPU-Z:
    it_photo_80154_26.jpg

it_photo_80157_26.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

wat kinda prices r these gonna be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

how longs a piece of string?

however an educated guess would be that they will take the place of the 8800gtx in the price market, plus alittle extra for inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

vr-zone have the 3D mark scores for the 9800gtx and 9800gx2 and they both got beat by 3870 x2. link
    9800vs3870x2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

So it's just an overclocked GTS 512..dissapointing.

How much faster is it going to be compared to an 8800GTX clocked to Ultra levels and beyond, considering the superior 384bit bus on the GTX at 1920 with 4xAA currently gives it the edge over the G92's 256bit bus (though faster core/memory). The 9800GTX will not be much faster I'd say.

Still it will be interesting to see how the 9800GTX in Tri Sli, and the 9800GX2 in Quad sli scales, although I suspect quad sli will be pants going by past efforts.

As for 3dmark, haven't ATI always had the lead there, and you can't exactly play 3dmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

3dmark is a synthetic benchmark, and alot of it is down to Drivers. Which ATI have had the edge for the last efw years now. Ill wait till i see some crysis benchmarks before i make up my mind.

Considering Crysis is a sh*te game in my opinion, and according to some people not every well optimised I won't base any decision off how the upcoming cards performs in this. However Nvidia are saying the new cards scale very well (I hear 9600gt in sli is supposed to be excellent), so it will be interesting to see how 2 GX2's in QuadSli or 3x9800GX's in Tri Sli Scale compared to 2 x X2's in CrossfireX.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Flaccus wrote: »
    Considering Crysis is a sh*te game in my opinion, and according to some people not every well optimised I won't base any decision off how the upcoming cards performs in this.

Crysis is a future game. It's extremely well optimized, just not for most current tech. Crytek have said the game is only supposed to be run on all high settings at the moment and that the very high setting is for future tech (like the ultra setting in farcry) On just high settings Crysis runs like butter in my sig rig. Even with everything at very high and 2x AA I get a solid 25fps.

Plus, regardless of what you think of the game, the engine is excellent in Crysis. Plus it is the bar to compare every other game to. A card that gets a good score in 3Dmark won't necessarily run a game well, but if a card can achieve a decent FPS in Crysis, it will more than match any other game out there. I'm with Anti, synthethic benchs mean nothing to me when it comes to gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well the Gx2 and GTX reviews are out now, translated Chinese reviews from PC Online.

GX2 - neck and neck with 3870X2 in a lot of games, but dominates cleanly in Crysis...

However, recommended price for GX2 looks to make it a bad choice, GTX looks good though...but not much faster then the g92 GTS.

GX2

GTX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

requiem1 wrote: »
    vr-zone have the 3D mark scores for the 9800gtx and 9800gx2 and they both got beat by 3870 x2. link
    9800vs3870x2.jpg

ATI is sucky with AA and AF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

jaysus, have ya seen the prices of the gx2 on komplett....gonna burn one huluva hole in ur pocket!

jaysus, have ya seen the prices of the gx2 on komplett....gonna burn one huluva hole in ur pocket!

What a joke, 200 euro more expensive then the X2 which it's only slightly better then in most games...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

€560 for the instock BFG on OCUK...ouch, still, I would be feeling more silly if I had bought an 8800 Ultra recently!

Well, the 9800 GX2 is out of my range, now I'm just stuck with the choice of an 8800GT or the GTS.

Also, is the 3870X2 even worth considering now? Its nearly matched by a 9600 GT SLi setup in Anandtech's Crysis benchmark. Problem is I don't have an SLi board.

Is it just me or is the GFX market more confusing than ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    €560 for the instock BFG on OCUK...ouch, still, I would be feeling more silly if I had bought an 8800 Ultra recently!

Well, the 9800 GX2 is out of my range, now I'm just stuck with the choice of an 8800GT or the GTS.

Also, is the 3870X2 even worth considering now? Its nearly matched by a 9600 GT SLi setup in Anandtech's Crysis benchmark. Problem is I don't have an SLi board.

Is it just me or is the GFX market more confusing than ever?

Gddr4 versions of the 3870X2 will be out in a few weeks, should be 15% faster...

if you have a crossfire board then a pair of HD3870 for €300 is the way to go imo..

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140852

What a joke, 200 euro more expensive then the X2 which it's only slightly better then in most games...

Have seen the review on toms?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/18/nvidia_geforce_9800_gx2_review/page9.html

The 9800GX2 is a notably stronger card, but the 3870 X2 is cheaper...

In tests it whacks the heck out of the HD3870 X2 with AA off in the popular games ( bug in nvidia drivers affects AA performance)

cry.png

Not worth €550, because of the performance of the 9600gt/8800gt in Sli..

But if you have a non Sli/Crossfire board and you have a highend 8800gtx etc, which should make €280 on ebay, then its a decent card imo...

Well I did mention that Crysis was the exception, though the review I read, Crysis aside, the cards seemed much closer going on the benchmarks used. Think UT3 was the main one, which you can see also in the Toms Hardware review is not as hugely clear cut. But I suppose it depends on the games used, I have to say lately I'm pretty pissed off about the huge gaps that are appearing in specific games much more then they used to and as such, you can get grossly misleading reviews....proven here by the fact I thought the gap between X2 and Gx2 was much smaller based on the review I read.

Anyway, I'd say we can all agree that 550E = joke. :D

Give it a month or two, and prices will surely drop.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Give it a month or two, and prices will surely drop.

Hope so, if they drop to €450 I might sell my gtx and get one....

Edit: Hmw have it for €479

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=21041&agid=707

Haha, I can trump that!

OCUK branded 9800 GX2 is on sale for £352.49 incl VAT. Comes in at €450.

Of course, then you have to pay there ridiculous shipping fee, so throw in two to make it worthwhile :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Voodoo, are ocuk branded ones the exact same or lacking in quality, $hite fan etc?

Shipping with overclockers is €13 isnt it?

Big thanks...

Ok silly question, but all the reviews I have seen ( below) have been done with a QX9650 @ stock ( 3.0ghz)

http://en.expreview.com/2008/03/19 [...] 800GX2/12/

Would the Q6700 I have @ 3.20ghz, be close to a QX9650 @ stock?

I've never used an OCUK card. I wouldn't imagine the fan is spectacular, but at that price you can pocket some money to spend on a cooler...do they even have a GX2 cooler yet, given the awkward sandwich design?

I have also fallen behind on my quad cores lately, but if it puts your mind at ease the top 5 on the OCUK list of "Crysis DX9 leaderboard" are a QX9650, an E8500, an E8400, an E6850 and a Q6600, all with different card setups and tweaked settings.

I also just bought an OCUK 8800GT to tide me over till the summer. Came in at €165. Seems to share the same stock fan as the PNY brand, but I can only guess from photos.

EDIT: I also saw somewhere recently, granted it was pre-release Crysis, a benchmark where they said that Crysis did not see any benefit from moving from dual to quad core.

Ah here we go: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2209093,00.asp

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would the Q6700 I have @ 3.20ghz, be close to a QX9650 @ stock?

The new penryn processors are meant to be around 5% more efficient give or take. So 5% puts it at 3.15Ghz so it should be quite similar to your processor.

The new penryn processors are meant to be around 5% more efficient give or take. So 5% puts it at 3.15Ghz so it should be quite similar to your processor.

Nice one, I wouldnt be bottlenecked by it then...

I can get the Q6700 to just over 3.50ghz, but I dont like pushing it that hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have a ocuk 8800GTX here, its just an nvidia card. Nvidia branding. Nothing different about it. Plain and simple OEM card.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yup the OcUk cards aren't bargain basement :D They are just reference Nivida /AMD cards

Very impressive in some initial tests, but its strange that the 8800gt keeps up with it in some cases....

At high resolutions with buckets of AA and AF the dual GPU cards shine

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1356/11/nvidia_geforce_9800_gtx_early_test/index.html

Any idea of price yet? Less than 300 and i'm getting one :) If you already have an 8800GTX / Ultra its not much of an upgrade (a downgrade in some cases) But if its cheap it will be an awesome card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Virgil°

conzymaher wrote: »
    Less than 300 and i'm getting one :)

Same here. If not ill be an ati man again soon.:pac:

heh Crossfire 3850s are pretty tempting but they fail hard in some games...

This could be ATI's chance to reclaim the throne, release a crazy fast card with GDDR4 and regardless of price folks who want the best will buy it....

WTF @ the 9800gtx having a 256bit bus and less ROPs.... They are going BACKWARDS!!

• Advertisement

Tweaktown are the same guys who posted false gx2 results, so I would take them with a pinch of salt.

Advertisement