Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabbatical Elections

Options
  • 19-02-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

That time of year again, folks.
    Please declare ALL affiliations when posting.
    And the candidates are:

PRESIDENT
    Aodhán Ó Deá

RON

DEPUTY PRESIDENT VICE-PRESIDENT
    Dan O'Neill
    Isobel O'Connor
    RON

EDUCATION VICE-PRESIDENT
    Paul Lynam
    Rory Geraghty
    RON

WELFARE VICE-PRESIDENT
    Ciara Broderick
    Conor Fingleton
    Conor Prendergast
    Scott Ahern
    RON

ENTERTAINMENTS VICE-PRESIDENT
    Gary Redmond
    RON

EDIT: Corrected spelling and added RON.

Will you vote in the SU elections? 43 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Gareth?

For the record im affiliated to no one. However Rory was my news bitch all year.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

You forgot Chris and Pierce??

Chris is Dan's campaign manager and Pierce pulled out and is now chairing the CTN debates

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I guess RON is a still a valid option on the other positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Grimes wrote: »
    Chris is Dan's campaign manager and Pierce pulled out and is now chairing the CTN debates

Chris was definitely planning on running, and announced his intentions in that regard... Did he pull out as well? and Denis Ryan? Surely there's more than one candidate..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

karmabass wrote: »
    Chris was definitely planning on running, and announced his intentions in that regard... Did he pull out as well? and Denis Ryan? Surely there's more than one candidate..

A lot of people put there name out there to test the waters and see what public reaction to them is like.They see a negative reaction or a stronger candidate and decide not to run. I think in this case people would have been too frightened to run against Aodhan cos he's such a strong candidate.

Pres:Il be voting for Aodhan since he spoke out against the Miss UCD competiton
    Deputy: Its got to be Isabelle for all the fanastic work shes done in health sciences over the years
    Education:I havent decided
    Welfare:Scott Ahern .I orignally thought Conor Prendegast but recently realised Ive been confusing him with someone else.
    Ents:Ron

When are the elctions actually on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

I generally don't care for SU politics but did Paul Lynam run last year for Education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm on Isobels team.

And yes Paul ran last year, he's currently Eastern Area Officer for USI.

Elections are on 4th and 5th March. I may aswell plug the live Belfield FM Sabbat Debates in the Student Center , 3pm-6pm on Monday 3rd.

I dont think ill be declaring my voting preference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

redcar wrote: »
    I generally don't care for SU politics but did Paul Lynam run last year for Education?
    Yes, and he came second, being beaten by Ronan Shanahan by a relatively narrow margin. He is currently USI Eastern Area Officer, and is, I think, the last officer to be elected in September, to still be in the same office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Redmond definitely has ents, no one of any importance is going to run against him. +1 for Conor Prendergast in welfare.

Edit: What insane blind tart gave you Mod status [Mod EDIT:Random person]?!

Mod Edit: I've decided I don't want my name to appear too frequently on these boards.

Sorry, I should have said that I am on Paul Lynam's Campaign team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Gary for ents, but RON for the rest.

IMHO, SU will be a total jokeshop next year by the looks of things. It looks like another -1 for student life; very few experienced, capable auditors in society world also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm on Izzy's team, and Pendergrasts to an extent. That extent being how well can you campaign for someone else when one of the candidates is one of four people in your class!

I'm not gonna talk much about who I'm gonna vote for. I've already gotten loads of stick (and I mean b1tchy stick) from candidates because of what they've heard what way I'll be voting. You know actually, if anyone does that to me, I'm not voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well I'm affiliated with myself I suppose.... so I'm affiliated to Isobel O'Connor.

Won't be on boards too much but see you on the campaign trail ;)

gubbie wrote: »
    I'm not gonna talk much about who I'm gonna vote for. I've already gotten loads of stick (and I mean b1tchy stick) from candidates because of what they've heard what way I'll be voting. You know actually, if anyone does that to me, I'm not voting for them.

I've gotten that ****e from people too. When I said that I was campaigning for Lynam the temperature in the Union corridor plummetted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Four for welfare? What's wrong with these people.
    I'm unaffiliated and will be chairing the Belfield FM debate that Grimes has already plugged.

Oh and Chris was never planing on running, afaik he was just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Ents - RON

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Four for welfare? What's wrong with these people.
    I'm unaffiliated and will be chairing the Belfield FM debate that Grimes has already plugged.

Oh and Chris was never planing on running, afaik he was just taking the piss.

What day/time is that on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Grimes wrote: »
    Elections are on 4th and 5th March. I may aswell plug the live Belfield FM Sabbat Debates in the Student Center , 3pm-6pm on Monday 3rd.

I dont think ill be declaring my voting preference :D

There you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Campaign Manger for Dan O'Neill Deputy President Candidate

Advisor to and Assistant Campaign manager of Rory Geraghty in the Education Race.

Supporter of Aodhán O'Dea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Campaigning for Dan O'Neill (Deputy President), Ciara Broderick (Welfare), Aodhán Ó Deá (President) and Rory Geraghty (Education).
    I'll probably end up voting Gary for Ents, as opposed to RON, but I won't be campaigning for him.

From the manifestos I've seen, there are definitely some stronger candidates running this year, than in the last two years. Should be an interesting 2 weeks ahead.

From the manifestos I've seen, there are definitely some stronger candidates running this year, than in the last two years. .

LOL the only think worth reading on the manifestos is the experience bit after that you can just put the manifesto in the bin. None of the stuff on it will ever actually happen.

I never get the welfare interviews in the college media. Why do they consistently ask the candidates views on abortion like this is the most important topic that defines a good welfare candidate from a bad candidte.
    Year after year the abortion question is asked,yet it couldnt be more irrelevant to the position. There wasnt even one crisis pregnancy in the year that Dan Hayden was welfare officer.Its not a highly pressing issue for the majority of people on campus.A welfare officers own views on abortion are completly irrelevant. I doubt very very highly that a pro life candidate would push their view on a student. All the candidates are going to give the same answer anyway so whats the point of even asking the question!

More important questions would be how do you plan to tackle the lack of councillers, their views on the proposed health service levy,what do you think causes so many students on campus to commit suicide? Now there relevant,intresting questions that will define good candidtes from bad candidates.
    It shows shoddy journalism to ask such an untopical irrelevant question and reeks of trying to be 'controversial'.

To be fair we've no idea if the sabbats are ever contacted about a crisis pregnancy.

Confidentiality is one of the key aspects of welfare and I hate the way people go on like they know everything, at the end of the day we don't know half of what goes on in welfare and no point saying we do.

To be fair we've no idea if the sabbats are ever contacted about a crisis pregnancy.

Confidentiality is one of the key aspects of welfare and I hate the way people go on like they know everything, at the end of the day we don't know half of what goes on in welfare and no point saying we do.

Of course confidentiality is important but you can be confidential and still inform people what the key aspects in welfare are.

My point is even If the sabbats are contacted about a crisis pregnancy its pretty obvious what theyd do. Offer a shoulder to lean on and direct them on to the IFPA or another agency that can help. Its hardly the controversial question its made out to be and doesnt matter if your pro life or pro choice. Asking this lone question year after year doesnt help students decide whose the better candidate and thats the whole point of these interviews,for students to dceide whose the better candidate.There are a lot more pressing issues and you dont have to know 'what goes on in welfare' to see them.
    The three most most important issues facing welfare candidates this year is their views on the health service levy,why there is a huge increse in suicides among students on campus and how to tackle the councilling crisis? But not one of these questions were asked only the ususal 'whats you view on abortion'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The most welfare officers should be doing in a crisis pregnancy situation is referal. There should be no question of offering advice as to what to do in the situation. Welfare Officers are not trained councellors, or psychitrists or psychologists. Anybody who does otherwise is too arrogant for the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

the UCDSU has left such a wonderful impression upon me during my 4 years here than i'll be either voting RON in all contests, spoiling my votes or burning my voting slips

i think this is the 2nd year in row the president position is uncontested, i don't buy this "oh such such is such a great candidate that no one will run against them", it sends a strong signal of union weakness that that so many active members don't have the balls/or what it takes to run for the most important position

out of interest could someone in the know post any political party memberships of the candidates? i spot a Labour and Fianna Fail member but i dont know who the rest are

Isobel - None
    Dan - Labour Youth Chair

Rory - Labour Youth
    Paul - Fianna Fail - not sure if he's an active member at the moment, I know he's never been involved in the KBC

Conor Pendergrast is chair of UCD Greens.

To be fair to everyone else, i'm not sure of there situation regarding their affiliations so I'm not going to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Scott Ahearn is Chair of the UCD Young Fine Gael. Paul Lynam is a member of Fianna Fáil in Dublin South Ogra although he never joined the KBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Maybe I'm just cynical in my age, but what have political party affiliations got to do with the SU elections? Apart from an FFer throwing lefty jibes in the way of Labour member of course, but do people invovled in the campaign actually think it makes a difference?

Advertisement