Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabbatical Elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Maybe I'm just cynical in my age, but what have political party affiliations got to do with the SU elections? Apart from an FFer throwing lefty jibes in the way of Labour member of course, but do people invovled in the campaign actually think it makes a difference?

It won't make a difference in these elections. Although the candidates should ideally declare their political affiliations in the interests of transparency regarding their candidacy.

The political affiliations of the candidates did come up during the candidacies of hard-left Labour Youth activists. Although I won't mention names as a matter of courtesy but it's clear to anyone paying attention to SU politics in the last three years who I'm referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Maybe I'm just cynical in my age, but what have political party affiliations got to do with the SU elections? Apart from an FFer throwing lefty jibes in the way of Labour member of course, but do people invovled in the campaign actually think it makes a difference?
    I am just cynical in my age, and I see these people as budding mainstream politicians. In future years they may run for office, out there in the real world, and will want SU positions to put on their CVs.

What kind of human being is comfortable plastering up posters with his or her face on them, spamming lecture theatres with waste paper (environment? what environment?), and delaying the start of lectures to exhort people to "vote for me"? A Politician, that's who, and (by definition) someone who wants that kind of job is not someone who deserves any of your support. IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

And what's wrong with wanting to be a politician?

Sorry I just fail to see the issue.

If it was policy that there would be no posters like there is in my home town there'd still be people going for election, still people wanting to run, still people wanting to be pres, dep, ents, welfare and education officers.

NUIG have one day of electioneering - that would be cool but UCD doesn't subscribe to that system.

Trinity have t shirts and stuff.

UCC can have as much publicity material as they want.

Every college is different, you follow teh rules set out by the college for these things. I very seriously considered running for Education this year but couldn't due to academic committments. Am I a politician? Not really, yes I enjoy politics, and I keep up to date but i'm not sure if I am one.

In saying that I'm a class rep, I work the system to get things done for my class, i'ts a game of politics to keep it all nicey nicey with staff whilst still getting your way.

Oh and the idea of having posters all down teh college was the thing that freaked me out most about running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

stereoroid wrote: »
    A Politician, that's who, and (by definition) someone who wants that kind of job is not someone who deserves any of your support.

Douglas Adams, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Firstly, If you didn't know, there are elections for the SU officer positions taking place next week on the 4th & 5th of March. (There is also a referendum on the new SU constitution taking place at the same time)

I'v noticed the general trend of apathy towards all things UCDSU, which I feel is an awful shame (It's also something alot of candidates have paid lip service to in their manifestos, but however), and as such am interested to know how many of you out there plan to actually use your votes. I'v heard previous elections have had turnouts lower than 20%.

*I'm aware UCD boards users are probably above average in their propensity to vote.. so this is an optimistic estimate at best.

edit:
    also for discussion: how does this compare with other colleges?
    and also: it would seem this years sabbat team is held in high regard in comparison to previous officers, will the quality of this years officers be reflected in increased interest in the SU? (im highly skeptical of this even as I write it..)

• Advertisement

Eh, held in high regard? about average to be honest.

A lot of colleges are apathetic, completely normal to be to be honest. Unless you have a tiny college where it really does need to be there on an intricate level the SU just doesn't impact.

I've been here four years and been involved in the SU for two - and yet to me it's alway seems a bit distant from the grass roots, for a college like UCD it's pretty standard because it's just so big.

As for paying lip service? Where? I've read all of the manifestos, from what I saw most had some good ideas and knew where things were bad and where they had to be worked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I plan to vote for the Jaw in education and RON for everything else. To be honest the only things the UCDSU have done for me are give me a list of digs and put on some nice events this year (Quinlavan has done a good job). What difference does it make who our deputy president is can anyone tell me?

I don't mean to rant but the whole thing is made to seem more important than it is. It provides a group of people with a year off and a something nice to put on their CV. If I'm wrong about that then please tell me, I would really like to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Don't suppose there's an absentee ballot? =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

O'Leary, I'd have to agree with you, nice bonus for the cv, bout it really.

Been in UCD for about 4 years, went to the SU for help/advice on 3 occasions-e.g. once for education(had a particular problem with admin, and I wasn't the only one at the time), got nice smiles when I was at the office, and "yes of course we'll help", but got nothing after.

I've nothing against them, just, what exactly do they do? Sponsor a fashion show....woo...(another rant which I shall leave for another day)
    Yes, it is good to to see events on campus, but whatever happened to that night bus back to town after 11.30 for those of us who don't live near ucd?

I agree that they have lost touch with their grass roots, without looking up the website now, how many people can name the current officers? Also imho the manifestos are not overly inspiring and at times just idealistic-one guy wants to abolish registration fees...yea...

Anyway, apathetic rant over. No I won't be voting, what's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 daboyfergie

I think we should all vote RON, and elect new officers that have absolutely no past dealings with the union. We need to start afresh. Apart from provide us with sweets at exams(that are probably bad for concentration), the Union does very little. They organised an increased levy on the current students to help pay for a student centre that we won't be here to use. Its crazy, getting poor students to pay for college infrastructure. Apart from Quinliven, the union has been quite useless this year. I know a few students who have experienced personal tragedies this year and the union has done nothing to help them.

• Advertisement

I don't even know if I have a vote, as I'm a Damnforeigner, but even if I technically do I don't think there's any point in me using it as I don't even fully understand what the Students' Union does (we're not unionized in the States, you see). However, we've got some shambles of a student government back at my home university, and it's widely considered to be a joke. That said, some people do take it seriously; one jerkwad wrote an article in the school paper about a presidential candidate's Facebook photos of underage drinking -- and she was the only one running. I still think she got the votes of all two people who voted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No I won't be voting... I've only got 1.5 years left in the college and tbh I can't see m/any significant reforms coming in in that time, regardless of who is elected to the SU.

It's irrelevent really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I plan to vote for the Jaw in education and RON for everything else. To be honest the only things the UCDSU have done for me are give me a list of digs and put on some nice events this year (Quinlavan has done a good job). What difference does it make who our deputy president is can anyone tell me?

I don't mean to rant but the whole thing is made to seem more important than it is. It provides a group of people with a year off and a something nice to put on their CV. If I'm wrong about that then please tell me, I would really like to be wrong.
    It has the potential to be a lot more. However the impression I've got in my time that it has become highly ineffectual, which is a great shame. I have, however, had some positive experience's in my time, I found the SU to be of great help when I was trying to find accomodation, and I've heard great things about the current education officer.

The main point of argument I would have against the SU being nothing more than a year off and a point on your CV is historical - Look at some of things the UCDSU did in the past. The SU accomodated the creation of the LGBT society when the college refused to fund them. They put the trap, the SU shops, the bars, the observer in place. They raised large amounts of money for charity through rag week.

You might argue that that was then and this is now but, honestly, that comes dwn to the people, not the organisation. And it also comes down to the apathy that students feel towards the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Wow, this thread = can of worms
    Eh, held in high regard? about average to be honest.

That's just the impression I got.. I haven't been around long enough to know personally.
    As for paying lip service? Where? I've read all of the manifestos, from what I saw most had some good ideas and knew where things were bad and where they had to be worked on.

I remember reading plenty of "I will bring SU to the fore, making students aware of it and care about the union" type of stuff. Which I think is perfectly noble and all, I'm not slating anyone, It just seems to have been bandied about somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

I think its all pretty pointless apart from Ents and as I've heard the ents guy is crap I shall be RONing them all.

Have you read a manifesto?

Hear say is a different thing to truth.

Karmabass - to be honest you need to look at the individuals - I mean class reps are so weak in arts this year because the incumbant PRO this year failed to actually go and lecture address and get people to run.

Then you have Health Sci where the PRO got a record number of reps elected because she got out there and got people running in what used be an apathetic area.

Same can be said of engineering - a good PRO will get people going - but you need the support of a good sabbat team to get things really moving.

It is true to say it's said every year - but a lot of tiems it's said without giving solutions and many have actually some good ideas this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 daboyfergie

I believe that we, the students of UCD should initiate a RON campaign. The candidates are crap and the union irrelevent. We should start an environmentally friendly RON campaign across bebo. Only one candidate for president from 22,000 people come on!!! This could be an epiphony!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Have you read a manifesto?

Have you ever read an ents manifesto? It makes a joke of the entire thing. TBH, most of the turnout is only because the voter knows the candidate or is in the L and H or whatnot and the candidate is in it to. Very little to do with what they stand for. No offense to the man, but Viv Rath would have won last year regardless of his policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Is Ron any relation to "Bob", he of the Church of the Subgenius? I might vote for him... :rolleyes:
    Bobdobbs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

I believe that we, the students of UCD should initiate a RON campaign. The candidates are crap and the union irrelevent. We should start an environmentally friendly RON campaign across bebo. Only one candidate for president from 22,000 people come on!!! This could be an epiphony!!

Hell yeah i'm on for it.

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Have you ever read an ents manifesto? It makes a joke of the entire thing. TBH, most of the turnout is only because the voter knows the candidate or is in the L and H or whatnot and the candidate is in it to. Very little to do with what they stand for. No offense to the man, but Viv Rath would have won last year regardless of his policies

Last year is the only year that I didn't read a manifesto and that was purely because i was out of the country.

A manifesto doesn't just say what they plan to do, it gives an overview of the person and what they have done before that makes them qualified to take on the position.

I know that just who you are has a lot to do with it but a person can fall down on a crap manifesto.

stereoroid wrote: »
    Is Ron any relation to "Bob", he of the Church of the Subgenius? I might vote for him... :rolleyes:

Well, I'm pretty sure he's an Erisian Avatar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

ron_burgundy_sleazy.jpg

Vote RON!

I believe you, a UCD student, should put your money where your mouth is. If you want to start a RON campaign, then do it. Stop just going "We should start a ron campaign! the candidates are all crap" in every gorram thread. We get the idea, now put up or shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think Animal Farm would come to hold a particular relevance, if a successful RON campaign were introduced.

If you don't like the student union, just ignore them.

Raphael wrote: »
    gorram

(Tee hee.)

Right, I've merged the three active threads on the Sabbat elections, because I don;t want them taking over the entire forum. As has been stated before, this is the UCD forum, not the UCDSU forum.

Keep any discussion of the elections in here, kthx.

Penny: I'm a browncoat, I do that sometimes. =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

karmabass wrote: »
    and also: it would seem this years sabbat team is held in high regard in comparison to previous officers, will the quality of this years officers be reflected in increased interest in the SU? (im highly skeptical of this even as I write it..)
    here 4 years, this years lot have been as medicore and out of touch as the previous lot

i'll probably vote but it will be RON or i'll just spoil my votes

i echo most of what has been said here, the union has so much potential to be a great organisation but it has and continues to ignore the people that matter, it's own members. i can't defend the union anymore.

the single biggest issue facing the SU is the lack of communication and interaction with the membership. the level of interaction by SU HQ to you, me and every other student not actively involved in the union is pathetic. 150 actively involved out of 20,000+ members? not good enough, something is seriously wrong there. you only visibly see the union once a year and that is at the end of February when careers and CVs are on the line. no one expects the union to be in every single students face for 24 weeks a year but it would be nice for the sabbats and the programme officers to get out and about away from the Student centre for a few hours a week and interact with its members, asking what their issues are (not the issues of class reps), what direction they feel the union should be taking... one simple step but rarely if ever acted upon.

that is one of the multitude of issues that face the union but i really feel the union desperately needs a complete revamp in its structure, the class rep systems must be overhauled, the eradication of this careerist/hack/socialite culture and most importantly leadership. not one of the SU presidents i've seen have ever filled me with confidence. the union needs action now, it needs fresh ideas but when i looked at the latest bunch of manifestos i got a sense of deja vu. nothing inspiring or original, just more of the status quo, i've seen it all before.

i could go on all day about the union is doing wrong in more detail but that's the jist of what i feel is fundamentally holding the union back. oh well, once i graduate after May i suddenly wont care anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

wat does ron stand 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Re-open Nominations.

Advertisement