Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista to XP

• 19-02-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

After yesterday's updates my Vista installation is just messed up. I've been getting fairly sick of vista for awhile mostly my dell 1520 difficulty in connecting to my home network. Every time I boot the laptop I have to turn off/on the wireless network switch on the side of the laptop to get connected.

Now after yesterdays updates and being stuck in the boot on shut down cycle for much of yesterday I had to reinstall vista. Just now it updated again (unknown to myself) and it's fu@ked again. Sick of it now

Is it possible to install a fresh copy of XP and maybe backup vista to disk for the future?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have business vista then you are allowed replace it with XP Pro
    if you have home, then the vista license doesn't cover XP

SP1 for vista is due soon, so maybe hold off till that if you can

try disabling wireless in the BIOS to rule it in or out ( less hassle than playing with drivers for now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

If you have business vista then you are allowed replace it with XP Pro
    if you have home, then the vista license doesn't cover XP

SP1 for vista is due soon, so maybe hold off till that if you can

try disabling wireless in the BIOS to rule it in or out ( less hassle than playing with drivers for now)

thanks Capt'n Midnight, maybe I will hold off for SP1. Just spent 2 days messing with it and so abit tired. I actually think its ok now. I've updated all the drivers aswell as the wireless driver. Seems ok at the moment.

Just thought I could make an image file or something of vista and reinstall later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

i'm having a similiar problem with wireless and vista.It takes ages to identify/verify a network.
    what I did if your not on a lan as such is switch off(disable) the workstation service.
    This should greatly improve the connection timing as perhaps yours is timing out.

"switch off(disable) the workstation service" don't know what you mean exactly?

My laptop installed updates again and crippled it again. I was able to do a system restore and disable updates. Don't understand why my laptop isn't excepting these updates. 51 updates is a hell of alot of updates at once though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

The workstation service is located within services in administration tools in the control panel.right click,properties, startup type, set to disabled.

why dont you switch off automatic updates for a while until you get the system stable?
    Or are you installing other apps right after you do a fresh install?

Is that dell 1520 even vista compatible?That model has been out a year now so maybe you should go to Dell support site and see if there are any updates you need before installing vista.

• Advertisement

The workstation service is located within services in administration tools in the control panel.right click,properties, startup type, set to disabled.

why dont you switch off automatic updates for a while until you get the system stable?
    Or are you installing other apps right after you do a fresh install?

Is that dell 1520 even vista compatible?That model has been out a year now so maybe you should go to Dell support site and see if there are any updates you need before installing vista.

Thanks TheThreeDegrees for the info. I installed the updates again and it worked since. The fact that I leave my laptop in hibernation mode guarenteed instant connection to network. When I shut down it takes a few minutes to connect. Now again today, it's not picking up any network again.

I don't want to ring dell but I think I'll probably have to. Is there an issue with these Intel 4965AGN cards?
    Is that dell 1520 even vista compatible?

I bought it with Vista on it so I assume so.

Advertisement