Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High-tensile steel wire

Options
  • 19-02-2008 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been done before but laptops and monitors etc are usually bolted down in college with a flexible wire that I'm told a bolt cutters wouldn't get through.

I'm looking for a long cable, long enough to lock two bikes to a car (if I'm stopping off somewhere while carrying them). Thought this might be perfect if it's as strong as I was told.

Thought it might also be a useful addon for a long tour if I didn't want to bring a U-lock for weight/space reasons. Also handy for keeping all the bits together on a good bike (locked to something else with a good lock).

Anyone used these cables for their bikes or any similar cables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

who ever told you that is full of **** tbh.

a proper bolt cutters would ahnialate, a steel cable.

a university isnt going to spend more on a cable than on the computers.

a unbreakable cable, wouldnt be made of steel, it would be a alloy and it would have to go through serious hardening, which is expensive.

and if it was high tensile, it wouldnt be flexible either.

use any krytonite lock with a gold rating, youll not have much change out of e150

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Those cables are ~5mm braided steel. You can get heavier duty ones for bikes e.g.
    http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1001&pid=1123

Like Kona says a bolt-cutter would get through either in seconds. It would stop an opportunist just wheeling your bike away though, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Fair enough - I did have my doubts, honestly:o I thought it might be a cheapskate version of the kryptonite.

What do people recommend for carrying bikes on a car. Just lock 'em together as normal and sit near the window of the cafe if you stop? I worry a bit about an opportunist with a pick up or van just lashing the two bikes into the van and working on them elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

oobydooby wrote: »
    Fair enough - I did have my doubts, honestly:o I thought it might be a cheapskate version of the kryptonite.

What do people recommend for carrying bikes on a car. Just lock 'em together as normal and sit near the window of the cafe if you stop? I worry a bit about an opportunist with a pick up or van just lashing the two bikes into the van and working on them elsewhere.

i wouldnt leave em fullstop.
    whats the point in spending e100 on a lock, when it will take either a blade or less to detatch the whole carrier from the car. a lock is only as good as its weakest link;)
    one fella on the mtb site had a bike robbed off his car, in his garden:eek:

scummers are everywhere, car-bike racks, are for a-b there aint no c!!!

Advertisement