Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water collecting in bottom of fridge

Options
  • 19-02-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

A water pool collects inside the bottom of my Whirlpool 4 year old fridge. This happens at least once a week and I soak it up and mop any that is near the soak outlet. Can anyone say why this is happening and what I need to do to correct it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

flipsat wrote: »
    A water pool collects inside the bottom of my Whirlpool 4 year old fridge. This happens at least once a week and I soak it up and mop any that is near the soak outlet. Can anyone say why this is happening and what I need to do to correct it.

is the outlet blocked with anything, ie crumbs or the like

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It depends a bit on the fridge, but most have some kind of outlet on the back wall where condensation collects and is supposed to drain away through a small hole, down a tube, usually onto a metal collecting plate mounted on the condenser assembly which gets hot and therefore evaporates. Often that hole can either get bunged up with "stuff" or sometimes it can even freeze up, meaning that the water overflows and pools at the bottom of the fridge. Try poking a bit of wire or something down the hole and see if that frees it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

as far as I can tell the outlet is not blocked, but I have only poked a biro end into it and then wiped it. The cloth is black (like mould) when I do this. I will try poking wire into it tomorrow and see if this produces anything that might be blocking it. By the way the fridge is built in so impossible to get at the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually one of the best things for poking down and cleaning it is a 'pipe cleaner' if you can find such a thing. I managed to buy a bag of them for next to nothing in Lidl the other day, and they come in handy for all kinds of things (except, naturally, cleaning tobacco pipes!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_cleaner

Once you've poked it clean, try pouring a very small amount of water down it and making sure it drains away properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Regular occurrence with our fridge as well, once a month we tend to clean out the fridge and stick a skewer down the drain hole. Still catches us sometimes though. If you are using a skewer be careful that you don't happen to snap it in the hole, else you be in for a whole load of trouble with the pulling out of the fridge etc etc... Pipe Cleaner as Alun suggested sound like a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement