Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kildare County Council offices

• 19-02-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Don't know Naas very well, have to go to the County Council offices next week if anyone can help me out with directions? Bit confused from their website. At least if anyone could tell me what buildings it would be near? I might have a rough idea then, thanks. Coming from Maynooth, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Coming from Maynooth take a right at Poplar Square traffic lights (McDonald's/permanent tsb etc) and go through the town until you come to a junction with a straight ahead option and a right turn. Take the right turn at those lights and follow that road. Council offices are a large glass and steel complex on the not long after the petrol station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Probably easier to get to if you come at it from the other side. Therefore if you are on the motorway then instead of coming off at the big black ball - come off at the next one - B&Q etc.

It will be on your right as your drive into Naas. Less traffic this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

From maynooth, you can come through clane and sallins, then take a right after sallins through that spooky osberstown industrial park (the one with all the roundabouts and no buildings).

You'll come out near the B&Q/Aldi, take a left and you'll spot the county council offices on the right after the driving school. You'll have to head down toward the hotel where Time is, and take a right on the roundabout. It's a big new-looking glass building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

look for the building that looks like all your taxes have been spent on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

look for the building that looks like all your taxes have been spent on it!

This was back in feb, reckon he found it by now???:P
    Your right though, they really splashed the cash with that place.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Rest assured that county councils do NOT get anything from your income tax to pay for day to day costs (such as offices).

It's a common belief that "my tax" is spent/wasted/lost by councils- simply not true.

Yes, I work for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Rest assured that county councils do NOT get anything from your income tax to pay for day to day costs (such as offices).

It's a common belief that "my tax" is spent/wasted/lost by councils- simply not true.

Yes, I work for one.

The construction of that building didn't come from day to day expenses.
    So how is the council funded then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

it must be from all the money they make from fining dodgy builders that dont finish estates -not!

Councils get their annual spending money from a few main sources-

1. Goods and services (e.g. refuse collection, dog licences, planning fees)
    2. Rates from commercial property owners
    3. Local government fund from Dept. of Environment (from motor tax receipts)

So, for day to day expenses, no income tax monies are provided. KCC is paying 2 million per year over 30 years on a loan for the offices if I recall correctly (bit rusty).

For the big stuff, new roads, water schemes etc., Govt. provides most of the money and some of that is likely to come from income tax- see Govt. spending figures if you care enough. Capital budgets are not included as part of Co. Co. annual budgets, which have to be balanced of course.

@ sickpuppy32- Councils have no power to fine builders- what makes you think they have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

60mil, Lucky they got in there before the 'credit crunch'...!:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

@ sickpuppy32- Councils have no power to fine builders- what makes you think they have?

The wording on Enforcement Notices would seem to suggest otherwise.

I don't work in planning but as I understand it enforcement notices are usually served in respect of unauthorised development- an unfinished estate is not generally an unauthorised development.

In any case, only the courts can issue fines if the council takes proceedings to have the terms of a notice complied with.

We're well off-topic, but any new council offices are built/purchased only after the approval of the council. Therefore, the citizens have approved too, if you accept the democratic principle.

Advertisement