Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you think is in the wrong?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I recently bought some hardware from a store. When I got it home it wouldn't work and so they replaced it. That one didn't work either so they exchanged it for a similiar item (different brand) but that didn't work either.

After a month of faffing around my husband and I have finally figured out that none of them work because they are not compatible with Vista, which is what our pc runs on. In your opinion who is in the wrong here? Us, for not specifying that we had Vista when we bought the first item or the store for not mentioning that the items, both of them, would not work with Vista?

I also paid €120 for software that was to be used with the hardware, which I no longer have. I know they won't take that back, as they can't sell it on so I am out of pocket there. I'm annoyed about that as they did push the software on me.

It's not going to turn ugly or anything, they grudgingly agreed to give us credit to the amount that we paid for the hardware, and we will be able to get something completely different. If that wasn't an option though, would you feel entitled to a refund?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Totally wrong.
    Wrong Forum.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 MyDseMkesAngels

Where should it be then, I will move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

Don't they usually indicate on the product what operating system it works on? It's also possible that the company's website might have drivers/a patch to get it to run on Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

all software and hardware made for use with pc's would have "system requirements" written on the packaging somewhere, This would be to enable the consumer to purchase the correct item for the system they're using, so 3 scenarios

1, you didn't pay attention to the system requirements section on the packaging making it your fault.

2, The store said the items would work fine with Vista (biggest heap of sh1t o/s on the planet) making it their fault

3, system requirements not written on the boxes making it the manufacturer's fault.

Of these the first is the most likely, as no 3 i think is a legal requirement for both software and hardware. and no 2 would amount to negligence on the part of the store, so they'd watch what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sarn wrote: »
    Don't they usually indicate on the product what operating system it works on? It's also possible that the company's website might have drivers/a patch to get it to run on Vista.

this is true. it'll be written on the box what operating systems it works with. the product does exactly what its supposed to do but you want it to do something its not designed to do. not the shop's fault.

and as sarn says, there's probably an update on the company's site. what is the product?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not the store.

It's between your guys, and the hardware manufacturer. Usually the device will put the minimum specs on the box, but that generally implies that anything later or more modern will work.

When it comes to Vista, however, you are well advised to check on the manufacturer's website. If the hardware is still in production, there should be a comment on their website either saying "we don't support vista" or "Here are the drivers you need to download"

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Your fault imo. You should have checked if it was vista compatible. But if shop assistants were in any way helpful they could have asked a few questions that would have clarified this for you. So in the interests of goodwill and keeping a customer they should reimburse you but they don't really have to. (they should though if they are any good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 MyDseMkesAngels

I got a Behringer BCD3000, it's a midi controller/basic mixer. It said on the box Windows or Mac, but didn't specify Windows 2000, XP or anything.

The second controller I got was the Numark Total Control and the shop assured us it would work with Vista. After a 40 minute call to the Numark customer care centre in England they told us it didn't run with our version of Vista. We didn't even know there were diffenent versions of Vista yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

it didn't run with our version of Vista. We didn't even know there were diffenent versions of Vista yet.

There are two distinct versions of Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit. There are various types on each, Ultimate, Business, Home premium and home basic. These are all the same and shouldn't make any difference, but the 32-bit vs 64-bit most definitely will. If you have 64-bit, then the 32-bit drivers won't work on it, and this could be the problem (or vice versa).

As to who's wrong, I'm not quite sure. There should be technical specs on the back of the box which lists exactly which OSs are supported. If you're isn't listed then it's probably your fault. If the shop told you that it would work on your OS then it should be their fault, unless you didn't specify whether it was 32-bit or 64-bit and they were talking about the one that does work.

Confused yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

From the Behringer website:

"The BCD3000 and the Traktor 3 software is not guaranteed to run under Windows Vista. We are aware of successful operation of the BCD3000 / Traktor 3 under Windows Vista - however this configuration has not been fully tested, there may be installation or performance issues on certain hosts and at this time we are unable to provide any technical support in this matter.".
    It's a bit vague, but you'd really want to go by what it says on the box. If they said it's Vista compatible and it's not, it's their problem. I'd also say if they just said it's Windows compatible and didn't mention Vista at all, then it's still their problem. Unless of course it's been around since before Vista, in which case I haven't a clue.

Though all this is probably irrelevant if you swapped it for the second one (sorry, not clear on that).

[edit]
    Just checked the Numark website. Assuming this is your product, it states under Tech Specs:
    Minimum System Requirements (PC):

WindowsXP (SP2) / Windows Vista

Pentium III or AMD Athlon 1GHz
    512MB RAM

No mention of any different versions of Vista, which would imply it works for all. So I guess the manufacturer is in the wrong, but I don't know where you go from here.

Advertisement