Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch out parents

Options
  • 19-02-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up to parents of young kids in the Dublin 8 area. Last night 2 girls were nearly abducted by a man in a car outside the Youth Centre on Donore Ave. next to St. Teresa's Gardens, it was after Irish dancing class in the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Back this up please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Em how? Pictures:rolleyes: FFS it was a heads up, I didn't name anyone's fecking name, I didn't say whattype of car or what time etc...:rolleyes: Get real will you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Was there a white van seen in the area recently?

Nope. Any reason?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Being facetious really. There's just so many made up stories like this doing the rounds its hard to take another one seriously. White vans are a classic urban legend and usually go hand-in-hand with the other legends regarding 'almost' abductions.
    I cant remember any true cases of child abductions happening in Dublin except where the family of the child were involved. Its extremely rare for strangers to abduct a child, and I find it hard to believe that would-be abducters could fail so many times.

Unless you witnessed the near-abduction yourself and knew for a fact the guys were not known to the kids involved then I wouldnt believe it for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

So people in this area should not be aware that there is possibly a perve on the loose-he;s only giving a warning just in case, people like you are the reason why others dont warn due to risk of been laughed at..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cowzerp wrote: »
    So people in this area should not be aware that there is possibly a perve on the loose-he;s only giving a warning just in case, people like you are the reason why others dont warn due to risk of been laughed at..
    I agree totally with deswalsh. We all know what happened when the boy cried "wolf" too often.

Child abduction is extremely rare yet many parents worry unnecessarily about it. Many of those same parents won't ensure that their children are wearing seatbelts or that a small child travels in a car seat yet a child has a much much higher chance of being involved in an RTA.

They are also probably likely to park illegally outside schools to ensure that their child gets home without meeting child abductors yet totally oblivious to the fact that they themselves, are creating a much greater danger to children. :(

Better to be too safe, rather than too sorry in my opinion.

cowzerp wrote: »

I appreciate that the OP was probably quite genuine in giving what they felt was a useful warning, but the problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of false warnings circulating vie emails and and message boards every day, and they never pan out as true.

Doesnt it strike you as odd that 2 grown men couldnt get a couple of small kids into a car? Is it not also odd that so many times we hear warnings of kids 'nearly' being abducted? Are these abducters complete wimps or something? I suggest you take a trip over to snopes.com or similar websites and see how many times this story has shown up across the web.

I truly cant remember the last time a child was abducted or went missing in Dublin. The only one that springs to mind is Philip Cairns and that was probably 25 years ago.
    Anyone know different, I'm certainly open to correction?

Either way I think the true number of abduction or 'genuine' attempted abductions will be tiny compared to the number of times I've heard stories about them.

deswalsh wrote: »

I truly cant remember the last time a child was abducted or went missing in Dublin. The only one that springs to mind is Philip Cairns and that was probably 25 years ago.

Yup, there was an abductions around the safe area as I have mentioned above on Halloween 3 years ago(I think, she was gotten back safely after about an hour) and then an attempted one the following year at the safe time of the year. Hence why I felt it was relevent to post my above thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

deswalsh wrote: »
    I

QUOTE]

i cant think of any. however in this article it says there were 35 abductions and 73 false imprissonments in ireland last year so its probably more common than we think.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0128/breaking33.html?via=mr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There was a case in Balbriggan where a man was convicted of trying to lure(harassment) teenage girls into his car. He got away with a €500 fine and 4mth suspended sentence (http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/abduction-scare-accused-walks-free-from-court-1276102.html)

Good thing with scare or real(!) stories, it gets the kids off the streets after dark so they don't be up to any good annoying adults:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

utick wrote: »
    there were 35 abductions and 73 false imprissonments in ireland last year so its probably more common than we think
    I'd safely say that almost all of those are family related, e.g. a parent who has lost custody taking the child out of the country. It's quite common among non-nationals. I doubt if any of those abductions were carried out by peadophiles/perverts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Pedophiles are everywhere trying to steal our kids, the best thing is to keep them locked up in the house, never let them out. Never leave the house yourself as rapists are everywhere, not to mention drug dealers and muggers, actually the safest thing to do is to kill yourself now to avoid all these ****ers

Pedophiles are everywhere trying to steal our kids, the best thing is to keep them locked up in the house, never let them out. Never leave the house yourself as rapists are everywhere, not to mention drug dealers and muggers, actually the safest thing to do is to kill yourself now to avoid all these ****ers

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Thanks for the input. How relevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 simos

So havo u have started a neighbourhood watch aswell. The GAVOLUTION is here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

simos wrote: »

Maybe they're collecting kids to start up a football team.

simos wrote: »

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BDubliner

Thanks for the tip, I have the kids sent away down the country till this blows over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'm living in Cabra at the moment and there is a fantastic, well organised neighbourhood watch system in area. The Garda actually sent a flyer around last week highlighting attempts by men and women to lure children into cars in the Cabra west area. After talking to the Garda who distributed the message, I realised that this problem is much more common than people suspect. He informed me that anything remotely suspicious should be reported. The policy is "better safe than sorry" and the force would not mind if the scenario reported turned out to be completely innocent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh read about that boneless.

The van was described as 'Silver with tinted windows' i think so boardsies, keep an eye out!

Advertisement