Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Min requirements for a deer stalking site

• 19-02-2008 7:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

What are the minimum requirements for a deer stalking site, in terms of acreage and terrain.
    REASON FOR ASKING:
    I have an offer of buying a site right in the middle of a forested mountainous area of Dublin hills. The Owner of the site has the sporting rights and possesses some 400acres. She has been offered money from the forestry but has refused to take their offer as its too low. I have offered to buy a strip of land which runs along a boundary of some 300m long. If i take only 3 acres off her this would give a width of 50m. The land slopes from 0m down to a small stream at 150m and then rises sharply to the boundary turn at 300m. The valley would be say about 15-20 m deep.

I would buy less land if i could as money is tight.:(.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

you can rule your land with an iron fist now ivan!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

you plan to keep to a 50m strip,

this is not enough for deer control,

i suppose it may be possible to kill one in this area but get real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Why don't you buy the sporting rights and sod the land ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Probably the better plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I know you need to satisfy the the requirements of the "red tap man" in order to receive a deer hunting permit.. but surely you can shoot on the smallest of plots as long as its safe....

have to be careful about letting on too much about the rights, she might realize the potential of these, and rule her own lands with iron fist...

• Advertisement

If she's stuck for cash offer her a few grand, say about the same as you're willing to pay for your plot.

As for "the red tab man", he has no say in the issuing of deer licences he's only responsible for the firearms licence for your deer rifle. The actual deer bit would be the responsability of NoName and John Griffin and their buddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Of course, he could make Ireland's widest ISSF 50m range...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

The actual deer bit would be the responsability of NoName and John Griffin and their buddies.

I bet the thread about shooting the deer with a bow and arrow seems like a mistake now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Why bother? Can she not give you permission to shoot her lands?

She owns a pub, not short of a bob or two..;)
    But really is there a practical size limit on the shooting grounds.. i would think that its not important as long as its safe to shoot with the correct size of weapon. Does size matter, will it cause me to either qualify or be denied a hunting license if i own the land. Does any body here shoot deer on relatively small plots..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Learn to crawl first before you star running ivan, looking for a "deer hunting permit" and i beleive you are still waiting on your first licence to come through..:confused: I believe you were only asking the question below a few weeks back..Learn the basics first, gain field experience and see how you feel about hunting. Then if you are are still interested and have become a competent hunter then i would think about getting a deer hunting permit.. Remember you cant beat experience and experience only comes with the years you put in..:D

Should i apply for a second fac while still waiting on the first?????

Waiting on first fac for .22mag and i have been waiting a few weeks.. but i'd like to buy second and additional gun with different cal. but seeing as i haven't got license for the first should i hold back????I am just trying to get the ball rolling on the second gun asap..confused.gif

Fair point.. but the opportunity has arisen its head and it could be one of those missed chances that you cant forgive yourself for.. The whole thing came about through discussion about the INTERNET hunting lads and how they were all such good craic..
    I prob could wait but i have being doing that all my life...:(
    Its the time to put the money where my mouth is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I prob could wait but i have being doing that all my life...:(
    Its the time to put the money where my mouth is....

Ivan just be your self and the right woman will come along :D

All jokes aside a strip of land like that is not much use for anything, even for resale. Better spending your money on joining a range and getting to know your sport and which you like best. Then make up your mind as to which end of the sport you like best.

Just get your hands on the shooting rights/permission. You can hunt small stuff as well man and when push comes to shove you're already in there and you can squeeze the deer licence out of it as well.

spoke to a man in the know this morning and he seems to think that any person will need a site of about 50 acres to secure their first deer license.. Whether or not you own it or you have permission in writing. Once they check the folio number out and see that the land is freehold they automatically assume that the land contains no minor burdens such as a mortgage or sporting rights which might cause trouble;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

spoke to a man in the know this morning and he seems to think that any person will need a site of about 50 acres to secure their first deer license.. Whether or not you own it or you have permission in writing. Once they check the folio number out and see that the land is freehold they automatically assume that the land contains no minor burdens such as a mortgage or sporting rights which might cause trouble;)

Rule of tumb is about 100 acres, if you only get 50 you could be asked to get more. But if you own the land and work it,(crops or grazing) then any size really will siffice.
    Best if you don't mention bow hunting or anything thing to do with your interpretation of the wildlife act!:D

Advertisement