Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosin-Nagant 91/30pu

Options
  • 19-02-2008 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Heya folks,
    I'm a bit of a World War ll buff and am looking to buy a fully functional 1931 Mosin-Nagant 91/30pu rifle. I've never had a gun before, I don't have a gun licence and am not a member of a gun club.

From what I've been reading, I would at least need to be a member of a gun club in order to get a licence but before I do that, I'd like to know if the Mosin/Nagant can be legally owned in this country. It takes 7.62 ammo and I'll be importing it from Germany.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If that's the russian bolt action rifle I think it is it would definitly be possible to licence it, minus fitted bayonet that is. It's up to you to convince your local super that you have a legitimate need to have it. The least you'll have to do is joining a target club or getting a deer licence.

If firing the rifle is not all that important to you a deactivated specimen will be a lot easier to get accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but would you need a colectors ar any type on licence to get decomissioned WW1 WW2 firearms??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but would you need a colectors ar any type on licence to get decomissioned WW1 WW2 firearms??

There are no laws in this country to allow for a collectors licence. Every weapon has to be licenced in the same way (if live) If a de-act weapon is required you must apply to your local super for permission to hold it. Its not a licence and no need to be in a club or re-enactors group to have one. Hope this helps;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Bayonet is kindof odd for the M-N: Although it can be fired without the bayonet, it was designed to be sighted in with the bayonet attached. Shooting without it will change the point of impact. Whether the sight can be adjusted sufficiently to compensate, I honestly don't know. Might want to look up an M-N fan site.

Was shooting one only a couple of weeks ago, actually. Nice rifle. Cheap, too.

NTM

chem wrote: »
    There are no laws in this country to allow for a collectors licence. Every weapon has to be licenced in the same way (if live) If a de-act weapon is required you must apply to your local super for permission to hold it. Its not a licence and no need to be in a club or re-enactors group to have one. Hope this helps;)

Yes it does:D
    I would love to get an old Mauser or Lee enfield or somthing of the likes.
    any ideas where you can buy de-com firearms here??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Domster

Thanks for the info. It's funny you should mention the bayonet as I was recently looking at one for the Mosin-Nagant. So, legally, I take it the bayonet is a no-no?

I really would like to fire the rifle even though I've limited experience with fire-arms. I'll have to have a look in the local paper for gun clubs on Thursday. In the meantime, anyone know of any gun clubs in the South Tipperary area?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Well, leaving the offensive weapons legislation aside now for a moment ( carrying a weapon etc..) . A bayonet as such is only a bayonet when it's fitted on the rifle..if it's loose it's a knife, dagger, pigsticker,..whatever. The moment you fix it to the rifle it's a bayonet and a potential drop in hot water. It's a bit like a laser boresighter that comes with an additional attachment to use it as a rifle sight or pointer.
    When you're using it only as a boresighter you're doing nothing wrong. The moment you start using the same object as a lasersight without proper permission you could be in a spot of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Yes it does:D
    I would love to get an old Mauser or Lee enfield or somthing of the likes.
    any ideas where you can buy de-com firearms here??

www.rytonarms.co.uk
    www.worldwidearms.com

I bought my Mauser 98k de-act off the second when I had no idea as to the law, just bought it online and it arrived by An Post the next day. If I hadn't gone to the station with it and declared it I doubt very much if they'd have ever found out it even entered the country!:o

www.rytonarms.co.uk
    www.worldwidearms.com

I bought my Mauser 98k de-act off the second when I had no idea as to the law, just bought it online and it arrived by An Post the next day. If I hadn't gone to the station with it and declared it I doubt very much if they'd have ever found out it even entered the country!:o

Lads, ive found a new hobby:D, tought they would be alot more expensive.
    Love the SMLE and the Mauser.
    So let me get this straight, all i need is a nod from the supernintendo and a wad of cash for my new collection??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Here is a link in our militaria collectors forum regarding deacts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055172044

You will need an art. 7 authorisation to import a defective firearm into the country.

More details on proposed deact law changes in the UK (may have an impac on Ireland) and other stuff about militaria collectibles in the militaria collecting forum. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Pruesse- we meet again...:) Any news on that mysterious dagger of mine?

Anyway, all that's needed is an OK from the Super. Since mine wasn't declared upon entering the country, a special branch detective had to come, collect it off me, bring it to Dublin to the Firearms and Explosives office for it to be checked and proofed. That took four months (:eek:); it was then returned to me with a cert saying I could hold it without a license. Bit of a long process really...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Northern guns in portadown sell de-acts at good prices. At least you can handle them before you buy. He will also order in any item you are after. If you want call Edward on 00447783240867. Its a good time to buy as the UK pound is low against the euro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Domster wrote: »
    Heya folks,
    I'm a bit of a World War ll buff and am looking to buy a fully functional 1931 Mosin-Nagant 91/30pu rifle. I've never had a gun before, I don't have a gun licence and am not a member of a gun club.

From what I've been reading, I would at least need to be a member of a gun club in order to get a licence but before I do that, I'd like to know if the Mosin/Nagant can be legally owned in this country. It takes 7.62 ammo and I'll be importing it from Germany.

Thanks

7.62 x 54 rimmed would'nt be too easy to come by in this country. just something to think about if you're going ahead with this idea.

Hezz

Advertisement