Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airing room for writers?

• 19-02-2008 8:33pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is their are any writers or artists out there who want to give their latest gem a live outing but only with only the chair and kitchen sink clapping? Well i'm thinking of doing something about. Something that i saw in paris(so it must be ok). Someone's house where people who write can bring along their giutar/voice/lyrics and do their thing. The musical equivelant of a book club. I've an apartment near city,i ocassionally write and play guitar and have a simple 8track digital rocording equipment. My place is big enough to hold about 6people comfortably,with good accustics. So if you've wrote a song of just lyrics or full on musical song and want to air it for whatever reasons or think you've the best voice this side of the room then respond on this thread message board. No pms. Let's keep it out in open and we can work from there. Isn't it just a bit frustrating when you think you got something good but can't get an intellegent 2nd opinion. So 'the airing room" is proposed for solo artists and writers. I'd prefer no bands as that defeats purpose a little. Any age,genre,limp and squint welcomed. Start of march would suit here so we've between then and now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ladysingsdablus

I think it's an excellent idea...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Thanks lady. I thought it was too. But there hasn't been much response. I'm just interested to see what other people are doing out there and seeing how mine compares. It's hard to be objective to one's own material/ music/lyrics/approach/progress,blah,blah. I was lookin around to see if this type of thing exiasted here and it didn't so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

There are actually several singer songwriter nights in Dublin where you can do this in front of an audience.

That's the point frob. I don't want an audience. Of course there are plenty of thst about but that's not what i want. Otherwise that's where i'd go and save on having to hoover my apartment. It's an airing room for those that do.

humberklog wrote: »
    That's the point frob. I don't want an audience. Of course there are plenty of thst about but that's not what i want. Otherwise that's where i'd go and save on having to hoover my apartment. It's an airing room for those that do.
    Sorry.That wasn't supposed to be as rude as it reads.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Sorry.That wasn't supposed to be as rude as it reads.

lol No worries at all humberklog. It sounds like a great thing if that's what you need. I just made the point about nights with a crowd becuase I find I learn far more by playing to a crowd than otherwise.

Fair play that you can frob. I get the yips if i think the dog's listening. Not that I'm looking to fill a room full of stage struck misfits. I'm looking to create an audience to play pass the parcel. Bounce it around. I think it'd be a good idea for someone who does play open mic nights. Give thier latast a thrash around the block in front of a small audience of chin scratchers. Not that there's much of a pick up on idea. Think this is a slow-burn forum though. The evening's open to non musicians too. It's open to anyone who has an interest in the creative process. There can be smoking in my place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MojoRising

hi humberklog,brilliant idea by you!pity theres not something like that down here,but alas it would be full of bodhrans and fiddles!! not that theres anything wrong with them!

Fiddles ROCK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

This sounds like a brillant idea man, a friend and i are trying to write some songs and I think this kinda of live play would definitely benefit us! Make us get the finger out at least.....

• Advertisement

I hear ya lady. (i hear you too mojo). A lot of cieliheads in kerry?(Not that there's anything wrong with that(sienfeld?))
    Dreamer I'm sure the airing room can accommadate a duo. Goood to have our 1st near confirmation. It is a good idea. Like i said it's open to all. No snobbery or preconceptions. Keep an eye on this thread for more interest as ideally i think a room of4to6 acts would be about right to keep the sound moving. Try add to this thread also as it'll keep it looking active! Whip up a frenzy of interest.

Lady are you interested too? Just had a look at your myspace and i've wrote a few no.s that are kinda jazz influenced(could i get broader!). I couldn't listen to song though as cafe has no headphones. I'm trying to set up a myspace but am a bit lost. I can record with equipment at home but it's uploadin etc. I'd like to be able to put a song up on myspace with 2versions. Ist version would be guitar and singing to give outline of where the whole lot fits together and a 2nd version that just has the guitar picking out the tune(a deconstructed instrumental). That way if someone likes it they can throw it around themselves a little and kick it back. Make sense?

Hey lady great voice and good choice. inspired me to get using my own ZOOM h32properly.

And i've got a song that's crying out for piano accompayment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JBuffet

what a great idea! I'm very new to songwriting so would lovet o share ideas and thoughts with others.....if you have room for a newbie, i'm in!

Welcome aboard jbuffet. All's welcome. NewBies,old hands,lyrcists,musicians and onlookers. It's not about putting in it's what you can take out. Keep an eye on thread and join in as it'll keep thread up there.

Thanks for the kind words Humberklog!!

I'm really happy with my Zoom h4 although it's very fiddly to use.
    (there I go talking about fiddles again!!)
    In theory I'm interested in the 'Airing room' the reality is I'm trying to get a gig book ready and have totally neglected working on my own stuff!!! I'll keep an eye on the thread to see if it's going ahead. Need to get my act together!!

i hears ya lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Embol

Hi, just wanted to say I think this is a great idea, I'd love to come along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Jack DeValera

This sounds like a fantastic idea. Would love to be a part of it when it happens.

Please let us know when you're planning on doing it. Would be happy to host one too if we wanted to go down the 'like a book club' route i.e. changing venues.

• Advertisement

Well it looks as though there's a few names donw now so when'd suit everybody? I'm easy so what would everyone else prefer? Midweek or weekend. If you wanna come along then put name down with a preference of midweek or weekend and we can start getting an idea of when suits most people best. I'll start by saying a thursday evening around 8 to 10. I'm only putting that down to get ball rolling. I'll p.m all those that've shown an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Embol

Thursday sounds fine to me, any evening except Tuesday is good....

Bang on embol. I'm glad someone else other than me got in with 'no tuesdays'.

I'm flexible to go any day really - although mid-week would be better for this sort of thing I think if we want decent numbers.

Good point jack. So how'd it be looking for a thursday. I can do this week or next. Anyone else interested? Just gotta jump in. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah I'd be up for this!

Great to see you guys doing this! It can be a bit tricky for me getting out but I'll defo try be along at some point.

Good stuff mada. So that's embol,jack dev and mada. Hoping to get around 6to start so if you're reading this and thinking about it then nows the time. Pop along anytime frob. Mada will you put down a time that suits? By the way my apartment is a smoking enviroment.

Any more name's of people intereseted? The time is thursday,either this or next and the place is islandbridge. If you're even thinking about it then do it.

• Advertisement

I'm in....thursdays are a good night for me, so no probs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

Im up for next thursday too man!

I'm in for next Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

This sounds like an interesting idea....were you thinking of it more from the point of view of people listening to songs and maybe suggesting ideas to better it or just literally to play your song?

I suppose I'm looking at it from the point of view of the singer songwriter nights where there is already an audience, but if it were the case that you talked about the song or whatever then it makes it different to a singer songwriter night

youve probably already started this looking at the date you started the post...how is it going on?

So can everyone interested give a preference for the 6th (tomorrow) or the 13th.
    Gibson- (this one will be the first one. It's a room with a big table and chairs. Anyone can do what they wanna do for whatever reason. Come along.

hey humberklog, either/or for me as regards which thursday to begin.

• Advertisement

Same as jb. Thanks for reply. i'm gonna be off-line till about 2 tomoro. We can see around then who else is coming. I'll pm you on my ph number then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

This is a great idea, especially if everyone is on the same wavelength as far as constructive criticism is concerned. It's always a nice measure of someone's compliments/advice when you can hear the music they make too.

Think it'll work better if their are a few on a different wavelength Frankie. It's openly open to criticism or comment if that's what the performer wants. Some may not and that's fine. Anyway I'm P.Ming those who've said they'd come along with ph.no. and address. Anyone else?

PMs have been sent to those expressly saying they'd come along. There's still plenty of room for others and as i said befor if not this time around then next time. It's not a band. So anyone else interested?

Yeah, but if you're not open to constructive criticism then what's the point, you may aswell just play at home to your cat. The advantage of this situation is that instead of a crowd of randomers who'll stretch for a "great gig" or "oh I liked that second song", you've got a small group of musicians who can give constructive criticism and help you develop. If not then I say play on your own if you don't like audiences or go to an open mic.

By same wavelength I didn't mean same taste in music etc, I meant an open mind rather then a closed one.

• Advertisement

Personally i am open to any criticism(except for perhaps drawing similarities, ie.that sounds a bit like (name artist). Seems a bit lazy to me). However i can't speak for anybody else. If someone was to say for example... 'a wanna play this and i don't want any criticism',then i'd respect that. You seem to have plenty of ideas so that in some way you need to put parameters around the airing room so you can understand it. Well that's all fair enough for you. But only for you. Why don't you come along? It's looking like starting this thursday and i was thinking of splashing out on an almond ring from superquinn. There'll be plenty to go around.

The advantage of this situation is that..... i
    I mean open mind rather then a closed one.

Just a little trimming on your last line and i think you're there!
    How's that for helpful criticism frankie.

If people didn't want to be criticised, then fair enough, but I'd be asking what the purpose of the meeting is in that case.
    I think it's a very good idea, I said that at the start, but it's a good idea because it's songwriters sharing songs. If you don't want people to hear then I'd suggest playing to yourself, if you're after an audience then go for an open mic night. I think this idea is quite good in points I've already gone through.

I wouldn't go about editing someone's post like that really... someone might take it all completely out of context, despite the point you're trying to make, which is what exactly?

If you get a bunch of open minded people who are open to talking about their songs and other people's songs then bam, you've got a valuable event. If people are closed to discussion and closed to criticism then I don't see the point.

Almond ring sounds like a good plan by the way. I'd pop along but I think I have to go review a play... what time frame are you thinking for this adventure?

The almond ring is inspired however it could be demoted to a half of an oxford lunch. Frankie i think we're two terriers at the same rag as far as commenting further on your/my opinion and could end up chasing our own tails around so lets leave it there(unless you've got a few canine analogies to add). Not sure what time. Expecting about 7.30-10.30. Would be good if people arrived between 7.45 and 8.45. How does that suit everyone else? Frankie I'll pm you details then you'll have'm for either this time or next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

hi humberlog
    I havent actually written songs before but am really interested in learning, im a singer in a folk band who have just started up, we are interested in writing our own stuff, would i be out of my depth by coming along?

Nobody will be out of their depth - we're all learning.

By all means come along

Keith i'll pm on details. You won't be outta your depth. Really.

Get you jack! Genuinely cracking material. I gotta pull my socks up, get on the pencil and do some double underlining. No parking in numbered places!

So how'd it go?

It went very well frankie. Numbers were low but that's a good start. The airing room is taking names and dates for next meeting. Anyone interested?

• Advertisement
Advertisement