Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

running cost for vetc

Options
  • 19-02-2008 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

any knows how much it is to run a 1.6 type r (civic)or integra 1.8type r..I'm 22 full licence living in navan doing 60miles a day1? anyone in a similar position???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Insurance is going to be a killer there - probably far more than you'd spend on fuel for the year. Have you got much of a no-claims bonus? How long have you had your full licence etc? I think the ITR is a 1.8 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Kingser

3years no claims.. fuel cost is t important part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Fuel isn't that much of a killer with vtecs if you're driving normally... you'll be well over the 30mpg mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

VTecs are much more enconomical than a Turbo, and probably as good as an ordinary 1.8, so long as you dont drive the cr€p out of it. Much more driveable as well in terms of you can drive it at any almost any speed in almost any gear, which great for when the traffic is speeding up and slowing down all the time you're not having to go up and down the gears so much to keep it happy. But I think, particularily at your age on such an engine, you'll find most insurance companies will tell you to f off:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

'00 Civic VTI, get 37mpg with a light foot on a journey.

'91 Integra XSI (same engine), 32mpg on the same journey. The Integra had a very close ratio gearbox tho, meaning 120km/h was at 4800rpm in 5th gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

60 miles a day in a Type R would be pretty uncomfortable Id imagine. Maybe Im just getting old. Running costs aren't that much higher than a standard car as long as you dont hit the vtec too often

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I drive a 106 GTI and i cant see the Honda being much different on fuel consumption, I used to do 50-60 miles a day and it cost 75euro a week but thats normal driving, put your foot down a couple of times and add at least another 15-25 quid

jimbo78 wrote: »
    60 miles a day in a Type R would be pretty uncomfortable Id imagine.

You can get Integras with much the same engine as a Type R, but spec'ed out more with comfort in mind, if you could get around the huge insurance obstacle maybe one of those might be a good compromise - if you're not specifically trying to acquire a type R badge that is (which can be just stuck on anyway) - the boy racers will probably tell you the more comfort spec it has then the slower it might go, but if you're travelling a distance every day and you're worried about fuel enconomy then maybe you don't need something stripped down to make it go faster - anything with that engine will go fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If fuel costs are very important then your not going to really enjoy owning a Type R.

Like any car if you have a heavy right foot it will drink fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Omcd wrote: »
    You can get Integras with much the same engine as a Type R, but spec'ed out more with comfort in mind, if you could get around the huge insurance obstacle maybe one of those might be a good compromise - if you're not specifically trying to acquire a type R badge that is (which can be just stuck on anyway) - the boy racers will probably tell you the more comfort spec it has then the slower it might go, but if you're travelling a distance every day and you're worried about fuel enconomy then maybe you don't need something stripped down to make it go faster - anything with that engine will go fast enough.

Integra SI, SIR models.
    I have the SI and am very happy with it, get just over 30MPG and comfortable, almost the same engine that is in the type r, so not a big difference in straight line speed, obviously the type r corners better.
    Insurance is a lot cheaper on the SI im paying 460 full comp (Im over 30), id be paying 850 full comp on a type r.

• Advertisement

Automan wrote: »
    Integra SI, SIR models.
    Si (round lights) and SiR-G (rectangular lights) to be exact ;)

ITR engine is quite a bit more powerful: 20bhp for euro model and 30bhp for the JDM model. ITR is also a bit lighter.

@Automan, what rpm are you at when doing 120km/h in 5th?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no other teg in the family compares to the ITR in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkV1_ULC-_4

i had a 1997 model for over 2 years and it as probably the best car i have ever oned in regards to cost, economy and fun :D

commuted to my job every day and also out on site visits without any problems too. i say if you can afford one, get one.

try go for 1998 or newer, bigger brakes, nicer wheels, abs standard, airbags standard, and xenon lights standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

with any Vtec car it'll be hard to keep a light left foot - I'm not driving a teg but I've a 2.0 mivec and it's hard to restrain from showing joe average in his 320i what a "real" engine can do - unfortunately this costs more in petrol but WTF, if you buy a vtec then its not like you expect the economy..
    Live with the extra tenner a week and enjoy life a bit - thats my opinion.

(warning - low bridge ahead, no high horses)

Good vid there kceire. I'm surprised after what you say that you went over to the dark side.;)

Forget the radio in the mornings and pull out of the driveway listening to this!

..and that's just leaving the estate..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

JHMEG wrote: »
    Si (round lights) and SiR-G (rectangular lights) to be exact ;)

ITR engine is quite a bit more powerful: 20bhp for euro model and 30bhp for the JDM model. ITR is also a bit lighter.

@Automan, what rpm are you at when doing 120km/h in 5th?

at 120km/h in 5th 3800rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

VTecs are much more enconomical than a Turbo, and probably as good as an ordinary 1.8, so long as you dont drive the cr€p out of it. Much more driveable as well in terms of you can drive it at any almost any speed in almost any gear, which great for when the traffic is speeding up and slowing down all the time you're not having to go up and down the gears so much to keep it happy.

Are you saying this because of somthing you read, assumed or somthing you experienced? Many, smaller turbo petrol engines are much more flexible at the bottom end than a typical VTEC. If you think a VTEC pulls well from low RPM, try a Saab turbo 2nd Gear, 1800RPM and open the throttle...... Different world completely.

Cant speak for economy, its not a concern of mine but VTEC's have never had a rep for flexibility/bottom end torque. Which is fair enough, its not what they are designed for.

Not this again.

A 1.6 vtec will have average torque for a 1.6. Same for the 1.8. Actually they have marginally more than average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Between €65 and €90 a week would be about right for petrol. Maybe €100 for the first few weeks!

sorry double post

Not this again.

A 1.6 vtec will have average torque for a 1.6. Same for the 1.8. Actually they have marginally more than average.

my ITR had 210bhp and 155 foot pounds of torque, hondas a slagged quite a bit for being torquless, but still great engines imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I find my DC2 Teg abit crap on juice in comparision to the Vti civic i had before it,the civic did circa 35mpg even with a good blast of vtec,the Teg is nowhere near that even not using Vtec!

The majority of my driving is city driving which i would put down to the crap economy,Still a car id reccomend owning regardless of fuel consumption!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hey,
    what's the Oil change Interval on the typical VTEC?

Hey,
    what's the Oil change Interval on the typical VTEC?

since vtec is all oil pressure based then its in your best intrest to change the oil and oil filter every 4000-5000 miles.

thats what i done in my ITR, didnt have to touch the plugs or air filter as it had irridium plugs and a spoon drop in filter (so that just needed a good cleaning.)

Are you saying this because of somthing you read, assumed or somthing you experienced? Many, smaller turbo petrol engines are much more flexible at the bottom end than a typical VTEC. If you think a VTEC pulls well from low RPM, try a Saab turbo 2nd Gear, 1800RPM and open the throttle...... Different world completely.

Cant speak for economy, its not a concern of mine but VTEC's have never had a rep for flexibility/bottom end torque. Which is fair enough, its not what they are designed for.

Experience. I'm talking about driveability in traffic and built up areas, not racing (I'll let the boy racers talk about that). The VTEC I could drive at 25mph in 5th gear and still be able to accelerate without changing down, and I never really needed to come down below 3rd to take a 90 degree corner in a build up area (I should stress at normal safe speed). The turbo was completely different, if there was any incline after taking a corner I sometimes needed to go down to first (that was an Octavia though not a Saab). The Turbo and the VTEC were the same size engine, but the VTEC was giving at least 38mpg average, the turbo about 23. The VTEC also had more power in it (180/190 bhp as opposed to 150bhp), and the Turbo was not given as much 'exercise' as the VTEC. I fact as I hardly ever utilised the Turbo, I came to the conclusion I didn't need it and haven't even thought about buying another one since (that happens when you get older unfortunately:(). The only thing I can say about the Turbo was that it was much much easier on the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Good vid there kceire. I'm surprised after what you say that you went over to the dark side.;)

Forget the radio in the mornings and pull out of the driveway listening to this!

..and that's just leaving the estate..

Damn that is FAST!

The VTEC I could drive at 25mph in 5th gear
    +1, and up hills at that.

Close ratio gearbox put 5th gear somewhere between 3rd and 4th in a regular car tho. Also helps that the cars are not heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Kingser wrote: »
    any knows how much it is to run a 1.6 type r (civic)or integra 1.8type r..I'm 22 full licence living in navan doing 60miles a day1? anyone in a similar position???

my accord type S 2.0 auto 155bhp, gives round 25-28 mpg round town and 45 on a long run. it avgs out at round 33-35mpg per tank full. 65L tank.

i hear people talking about vtec this and vtec that without knowing what it means, i have heard people mention vtec as if its some sort of turbo thing..

here is what the ivtec is....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYvqVXLIT2s

anyways the auto is the business, silky smooth gear changes, take off from a dead stop in a flash, compared to the manual equivelent model..( have tested this) also has a manual function too..

i put on avg 60 euros of petrol into the car every week, and get 600 km of mixed driving......

the first main service at a main dealer was 190 euro so not that expensive..

great car to drive as it has the sports suspension and good tyres and great handling. id say forget bout the Type R why bother?
    paying through the nose for insurance.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Experience. I'm talking about driveability in traffic and built up areas, not racing (I'll let the boy racers talk about that). The VTEC I could drive at 25mph in 5th gear and still be able to accelerate without changing down, and I never really needed to come down below 3rd to take a 90 degree corner in a build up area (I should stress at normal safe speed). The turbo was completely different, if there was any incline after taking a corner I sometimes needed to go down to first (that was an Octavia though not a Saab). The Turbo and the VTEC were the same size engine, but the VTEC was giving at least 38mpg average, the turbo about 23. The VTEC also had more power in it (180/190 bhp as opposed to 150bhp), and the Turbo was not given as much 'exercise' as the VTEC. I fact as I hardly ever utilised the Turbo, I came to the conclusion I didn't need it and haven't even thought about buying another one since (that happens when you get older unfortunately:(). The only thing I can say about the Turbo was that it was much much easier on the insurance.

Thats pretty interesting. I was talking about day-to day driving too. My experience is the opposite. Altho an Octiavia is going to be a little heavier and as JHMEG said, the gear ratios are generally a little closer on a given VTEC. Having to go down to first though is very bizaare! The VW 1.8Ts pull fairly well from 2250 upwards, and okayish from 1800, but I have say I've never dragged an octavia/passat around with one. The mid 90's Saabs are great if you ever get a chance to drive one, give it a go.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Not this again.

I should probably clarify my comment on torque, yes the PEAK torque is decent with a typical VTEC, the problem is where it sits in the rev range also one of the reasons I dislike many modern Turbo Diesels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

stevec wrote: »
    with any Vtec car it'll be hard to keep a light left foot - I'm not driving a teg but I've a 2.0 mivec and it's hard to restrain from showing joe average in his 320i what a "real" engine can do...

I'm sure everyone in thier BMWs is very impressed at how hard you can press down on your clutch ;)

• Advertisement

what_car wrote: »
    i hear people talking about vtec this and vtec that without knowing what it means, i have heard people mention vtec as if its some sort of turbo thing..

here is what the ivtec is....
    Ironically (speaking of people who don't understand;)), the video you quoted is of the new 1.8 iVTEC, which is a SOHC. All valves are operated by a single camshaft. On the other hand your Accord has a DOHC engine. Intake and exhaust valves are on seperate camshafts. The 1.8 has an economy lobe, (harking back to the JDB D15B in the JDM Civic 'VTI') whereas your Accord does not. The 1.8 has a variable volume induction system, your Accord does not.

They about as different as petrol engines can be! Or at least the valvetrains are.

I owned a 2.0 Accord Coupe (auto) for a while. Very very comfy, not sporty. I also drove the original 2.4 Type-S, 190bhp, bodykit, 6-speed. Very quick and very comfy. Not really a driver's car either.

I also owned a dohc vtec Integra. No comparison. Not comfy. Loud stock induction system. Fantastic driver's car. Super communicative. You could nearly tell the colour of the road surface from the feedback through the steering.

It's really driver's car vs comfy car at the end of the day.

EDIT: The VTEC idea is quite simple:
    To get more power you need to burn more fuel (simple idea). You can burn more fuel by either a) larger displacement, b) forced induction creating artifically larger displacement, or c) spinning faster.
    Spinning faster, increasing the burn rate, requires more air. This is where VTEC comes in. Open valves wider and for longer at higher rpm and hey presto, more air can get in. So why not do it across the rev range? Look at videos on youtube of cars with Toda VTEC Killers installed (Camshafts that simulate the high cam being constantly activated, ie vtec is always "on"). The cars are not driveable due to wrong mix of air and fuel at low rpm and the fuel economy would be sh1t. Such is the nature of petrol engines.

Advertisement