Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Weather League (2008)

Options
  • 19-02-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think you know a little about the weather?

Do you warn "Yore Ma" to bring an umbrella'ella'ella'!! as she heads out to go shopping?

Do you advise yer mates two weeks before a (phantom) easterly that snow is on the way?

If so, well lets see if you are fit to pit yourself against the best that boards has to offer!!

Starting in March will be the kick off of the augural Boards Weather League (2008).

In the last week of every month there will be five questions you have predict the answer to.

Three of them will be the same :-

1) Same as monthly competition thread
    2) what's the maximum temperature going to be in March (any synoptic station)?
    3) What's the minimum temperature going to be in March (any synoptic station)?

There will be two bonus questions of a fun nature based around the weather of whatever is topical for that month.

Questions 1,2,3 will be scored as follows :-

Forecast accurate to :-

0.2 - 10 Points
    0.4 - 8 Points
    0.8 - 6 Points
    1.6 - 4 Points
    3.2 - 2 Points
    >3.2 - 0 Points

So for example if the Maximum temperature next month was 27.2°C you would score as following if you forecast :-

27.0°C - 10 Points
    27.5°C - 8 Points
    26.5°C - 6 Points
    25.6°C - 4 Points
    30.4°C - 2 Points
    22.7°C - 0 Points

If you manage to get the temperature bang on you score double!!

So in the example above you would get 20 points if you had forecast 27.2°C

The bonus points scoring will the same for temperature questions, of others will just go with accurate to with a percentage

Within 20% - 10
    Within 40% - 5
    Nowt for anything else (these are bonus questions!).

Official scores will be calculated the weekend after the ending of the previous month and will be calculated using the figures as published by the Met Eireann website.
    Aiding in the calculation will be several pints of alcohol..
    Final figures are final...*

Aprils's questions are here so lets be having your predictions :)

Thanks,

Longfield.

*Or until my hangover the next day wears off.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ok folks, I have 17 men, working 25 hours a day counting up the figures for last months league..March results to appear here later on in the week..

This months bonus questions are :-

1) On Gold Cup day (23rd) what will the Maximum Temperature be in Mullingar?
    2) On Champion Hurdle day (25th) what will the mean wind speed be in knots in Mullingar?

Answers please on Paddies April Forecast/Analysis thread

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The counting staff were up all night totting up figures (thanks for the help Trogdor).

After the sleepless nights and wringing of hands some startling figures emerged.

The March weathermen storming to the top of the league are Trogdor (36), followed closely by Snowbie (34) and Squonk (33).

The Eagle better watch out with these fellas around.!

Due to the freak weather conditions experienced during the month some title challengers erm..ended up in mid table..surely a position that will rectify itself over time :D

In the relegation zone , soon to be presenting GMTV forecasts are Dolanbaker, Kindred Spirit and RC28..:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Its all to play for, many months left in the league and anything can happen, so remember to get your forecasts in for April before its left too late!!

So here in all its glory is the first league table of the 2008 Boards Weather League..
    weatherleague_april.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Why am I only in 7th place? I demand that I be on top...:D

Well done Trogdor. Thou hast the gift. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Why am I only in 7th place? I demand that I be on top...:D

It must be a conspiracy against you.:p
    The powers that be must have a bad experience in Tuam at some stage:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

It must be a conspiracy against you.:p
    The powers that be must have a bad experience in Tuam at some stage:pac:

The best town in all of Ireland sham!!! We are a peace loving people :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You know you're a weather weenie if getting a long-range forecast more or less correct is better than sex.

Of course, as a weather weenie, you won't be getting any sex, right?

(I speak from experience, don't get too involved in weather guys and gals)

if there be any gals, this does seem to be one field where the wymmyn have not taken advantage of their modern rights to equality ... and can you blame them?

Some surprising results this month, and some interesting moves in the league.

Once again Trogdor and Snowbie top the table...but there is a late comer in third place..watch out fellas ;)
    RC28 leaped up a good few places and MT Cranium had another solid performance.

weatherleague.jpg

I've attached the excel sheet I use to calculate the numbers, let me know if I've gotten any incorrect. Please no comments on my total lack of knowledge of how to use excel properly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

There seems to be a gross error on that chart Longfield. For example, the 19+22=41 you have down for Paddy is completely wrong!! 19+22 actually equals 67!!!

Just thought I would point that out..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

File won't open in Excel 2003 here in case anyone is wondering about these mystery scores :D

There seems to be a gross error on that chart Longfield. For example, the 19+22=41 you have down for Paddy is completely wrong!! 19+22 actually equals 67!!!

Just thought I would point that out..:D

you're just annoyed i'm ahead of you in the table:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ah, ch, it is a bank holiday - the bhoys probably are a little hungover today. Give'm a chance!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Today is first working day since end of month and the monthly weather summary will be issued this morning. It will have months highs and lows in it.

Danno wrote: »
    Ah, ch, it is a bank holiday - the bhoys probably are a little hungover today. Give'm a chance!!! :D:D:D

Sadly I work for a UK company so it was not a bank holiday for me. The shame!

Righteo, here we go!

Its getting tight at the top - Togdor and Snowbie still head the table but MT Cranium, Danno and myself are closing in..watch yer backs lads ;)

Kindred Spirit had a great performance and moved himself up the table , one to watch out for!
    Nilhg scored highly too and could be a real contender in a few months if he stays true to form.

So without further adieu here's the May league table:-

boardsleague_may.jpg

Heres the excel calculations

You're a star, thanks for the hard work.

Yes, very good work supercell except for one gross miscalculation/error - i should be further up the table:D

I remain in 7th place for the 3rd month. How very average..:cool::pac:

Saddest thing is having a numpty like me 2 points less than you.

• Advertisement

My money is on Mt Cranium to top the league at the end of the seasons (December League), he's scoring high every month so far.

As to the best of the West..looks like Nacho has that sown up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Where is February's Data?

Danno wrote: »
    Where is February's Data?

Not included in competition I think, that didn't start til March.

i'm going down this month:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Spread your bets, lads, I am still looking up half the places in an atlas ... and it looks boom or bust in July.

What a month, had a very well..Irish summer feel about it...

I want to say a huge thanks to Deep Easterly for the excel chart, really appreciate the effort put in and it really made the calculations a lot easier this month, top man.

The league results were really interesting, its hotting up at the top..

This month we had a new kid on the block - Strasser, who stormed to the top of the June table and upset the apple cart, one to watch out for!

Nacho would have topped the table if he'd stuck with his original forecast I should add (not to rub it in or anything :D)

So to the results.

First of all the June league :-

June_League.jpg

The overall league is getting very tight on the top, Trogdor was finally toppled off his throne after three months.
    Anyone one of the the top six could easily be in first place next month.

cumulative_league_june.jpg

Heres the calculations.

Supercall, for a man who said he wouldn't score well last month you've not done too badly.
    I sense a fix has taken place!:D

• Advertisement

Supercall, for a man who said he wouldn't score well last month you've not done too badly.
    I sense a fix has taken place!:D

Don't tell anyone, but brown bags were involved with Deep Easterlies excel work ;)

Advertisement