Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matterazzi

• 19-02-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

Very harsh sending off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Defo a victim of his reputation tonight. Two very soft yellow cards tonight resulting in his marching orders.

The ref must be a friend of Rafa's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I sense a disruption in the force...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doesnt take people long does it?

Nothing wrong with the yellows. i the had happened in 2 seperate games no one would care. The ref is applying the letter of the law where others would let players away with a 2nd yellow card offence so as not to send him off. Torres was running him a bit ragged and he chose to pull out of him rather than defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

WAY to early for a red, gonna ruin the competitiveness of the game, very weak red aswell, they were in no way to stone wall yellows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Torres worked very hard...

Vieira should be on in a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Terrible yellows and terrible sending off. The ref has ruined the game with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Comment from the BBC

Hmmm. Old Marco can consider himself a tad unlucky tonight. Maybe the Karma police have finally caught up with him.

2014: RED CARD
    Marco Materazzi, once of Everton, picks up his second yellow. Both cards came after fouls on Torres. In the defender's defence I'd have to say there did not seem to be that much in either challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Stekelly wrote: »

Nothing wrong with the yellows. i the had happened in 2 seperate games no one would care. The ref is applying the letter of the law where others would let players away with a 2nd yellow card offence so as not to send him off. Torres was running him a bit ragged and he chose to pull out of him rather than defend.

LOL take off those red tinted glasses. If Hypia was sent off for the same you would have a very different point of view.

Villain wrote: »
    LOL take off those red tinted glasses. If Hypia was sent off for the same you would have a very different point of view.

He pulled Torres because he got past him and Mterazzi didnt fancy chasing. It's a cynical foul and deserves a yellow. Even if he hadnt been sent off that time he'd habe done it another few times when Torres made **** of him and get sent off then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Never should have been sent off, hopefully Inter will sit back and destroy the game and beat them in the return leg.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The first one certainly wasn't a yellow anyway.

Materazzi is still a clown, mind you.

Woeful game, just switched off.

He pulled Torres because he got past him and Mterazzi didnt fancy chasing. It's a cynical foul and deserves a yellow. Even if he hadnt been sent off that time he'd habe done it another few times when Torres made **** of him and get sent off then anyway.

Do you actually watch soccer on a regular basis or have you actually played the game? those kind of tackles happen a dozen times in every game and you would never get a yellow for one of them, two or 3 of them and you might get one yellow but getting two yellow's for those tackles is laughable and I think its very sad if you can't see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Never should have been sent off, hopefully Inter will sit back and destroy the game and beat them in the return leg.

Yep Torres could regret not staying on his feet/playing for it, no doubt creating a siege mentality for Inter...

Inter will defo have them at the San Siro.

Provided they get an ok result tonight..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

The first one was a dive from Torrres, second one was fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Second one was fair? Watch it again from the last angle..

very poor from Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Nothing wrong with the yellows.The ref is applying the letter of the law where others would let players away with a 2nd yellow card offence so as not to send him off.

Had Jamie or Sammi been the offenders i suspect you might have had a different opinion, come on it was too early for the second yellow (meaning a red). Give the lad a chance. He probably wouldn't have seen the 90 minute mark anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Terrible yellows and terrible sending off. The ref has ruined the game with that

Agreed.

Do you actually watch soccer on a regular basis or have you actually played the game? those kind of tackles happen a dozen times in every game and you would never get a yellow for one of them, two or 3 of them and you might get one yellow but getting two yellow's for those tackles is laughable and I think its very sad if you can't see that.

Hadnt seen the first one properly till now and that wasnt a yellow. Doesnt change that the 2nd one was and at that stage he cant exactly take back the yellow, especially seeing as the ref would be of the opinion he was right to card him for the first one.

Had Jamie or Sammi been the offenders i suspect you might have had a different opinion, come on it was too early for the second yellow (meaning a red). Give the lad a chance. He probably wouldn't have seen the 90 minute mark anyway.

People are always giving out about the whole "it was a free outside the box but not a peno inside it" opinion of a lot of people. It cant be chopped and changed to suit. IT as a foul and a fyellow. The timing doesnt change that.

Should it be no holds brred for the first 10 mins or so of every game so as not to "ruin" it?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

andrewie wrote: »
    Second one was fair? Watch it again from the last angle..

very poor from Torres

I never realised he was such a big girl.

Neither were a yellow in their own right, if he hadn't been booked for the first one and did the second you could try and argue for a yellow for both but as rte showed Carragher did worse and got away scot free, as I said those type of tackles happen over and over giving two yellows was a joke and ruined a game. Inter will play for a draw now if Liverpool can't get a home advantage the pressure will be huge.

• Advertisement

No. RTE even showed carragher doing the exact same thing and nothing. It was a bull**** sending off. For all the stick Ronaldo/Gerrard etc get for their diving Torres went down incredibly easy in both challenges and a few others so far tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Very harsh red card, dont think anyone honestly disagree with that.

Neither were a yellow in their own right, if he hadn't been booked for the first one and did the second you could try and argue for a yellow for both but as rte showed Carragher did worse and got away scot free, as I said those type of tackles happen over and over giving two yellows was a joke and ruined a game. Inter will play for a draw now if Liverpool can't get a home advantage the pressure will be huge.

I dont see how Carragher did worse, he put hi arm across a player with the ball in front of him. If that was worse then shielding the ball when its running out of play(which is another thread for another day but I dont believe you should be deemed to be in control of a ball till you touch it) is a sending off . Should the inter player not have been booked or sent off for swinging Carragher around in the same incident then?

I dont see how Carragher did worse, he put hi arm across a player with the ball in front of him. If that was worse then shielding the ball when its running out of play(which is another thread for another day but I dont believe you should be deemed to be in control of a ball till you touch it) is a sending off . Should the inter player not have been booked or sent off for swinging Carragher around in the same incident then?

Should Torres have been booked for simulation? the argument goes on

No. RTE even showed carragher doing the exact same thing and nothing. It was a bull**** sending off. For all the stick Ronaldo/Gerrard etc get for their diving Torres went down incredibly easy in both challenges and a few others so far tonight.

The first one he was clipped, most likely wasnt intentional on Materazzi's part but it was there from what I could see (and as I said, wasnt a card). Torres tried to stay in control and fell tryign to stay on his feet getting the ball.

At the end of the day,for the 2nd one he decided to pull on Torres rather than try defend against him.

LOL stekelly you obviously haven't played the game or you have but are blinded by red tinted glasses.

Carragher was no where here being in control of the ball and he didn't shield the ball he wrestled the player to the ground, seriously take a step back and try and look at the incidents from a neutral point of view. Both yellows were a joke.

ROFL Stanovic doesn't get a yellow for clothes lining Finnan lol.

Ref - consitency? lol

you can all calm down now, the ref is doing well to make up for the sending off. Personally I'd rather have the peno's thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Didn't see the game or the incident but I cracked a little smile upon seeing this. These things even out over the course of a career so it does indeed look like the karma police were out tonight. Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just bad reffing the whole game, both against and for Liverpool. Stupid first yellow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

That's karma. such a c*nt of a player deserves all the bad luck in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Even if he hadnt been sent off that time he'd habe done it another few times when Torres made **** of him and get sent off then anyway.

Your ability to see into the future of a parallel dimension is astounding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Harsh sending off. I dont believe Torres dived though as they were both fouls. Just not yellow cards. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving player.

Liverpool also had a blatant penalty not given so it kind of evened out.

Jees lads what happened to the rule about not calling players names??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Jees lads what happened to the rule about not calling players names??

Good shout. Edited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

el dude was banned for a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

just watching the highlights now, no way was the first one a yellow.

Decent play from liverpool; Gerard had a good run into the box with some quick passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

second yellow, first not.

Second was cynical. Torres had beaten him and was in a pretty good position, and raising your hands is not trying to play the ball. TBH Matterazi wasn't clever doing that while already on a yellow. Should have just let him go.

First harsh, and one harsh booking plus one marginal one = harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote: »
    el dude was banned for a week

That didn't take long. :D

As for anyone saying he deserved a red card, take these off. And I hate Materazzi. That said having picked up the first yellow he was stupid to be caught for the second one. Not the brightest of players I reckon. He definitely would have gotten away with it in Serie A, he's like royalty there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Second was a definate Yellow, he pulled him back.

Carra should have been booked aswell but both were pullling out of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Second was a definate Yellow, he pulled him back.

i dont think so. he had the hand up, but then took it away as it became obvious torres had gotten away. then torres falls down in a heap. he probably deserved a yellow for cumulative fouls at that stage but definitely shouldn't have been sent off, although knowing his character he probably would have managed to get sent off later in the game regardless...

still, the referee was absolutely woeful tonight. at first i thought he was a homer, but then it just became obvious he was out of his depth and very very unsure of himself. that should be the last game he refs in the champions league this season... but unfortunately we'll probably see him pop up somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

i dont think so. he had the hand up, but then took it away as it became obvious torres had gotten away. then torres falls down in a heap. he probably deserved a yellow for cumulative fouls at that stage but definitely shouldn't have been sent off, although knowing his character he probably would have managed to get sent off later in the game regardless...

still, the referee was absolutely woeful tonight. at first i thought he was a homer, but then it just became obvious he was out of his depth and very very unsure of himself. that should be the last game he refs in the champions league this season... but unfortunately we'll probably see him pop up somewhere

But he wasn't just plucked from obscurity. He's an experienced ref. I think he did the Milan - Utd semi last season? His performance was awful alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Nunu wrote: »
    But he wasn't just plucked from obscurity. He's an experienced ref. I think he did the Milan - Utd semi last season? His performance was awful alright.

Nevermind that so. i'm normally good on remembering refs, but i didn't recognise him so assumed he was a relative newcomer. Still, that being the case then his performance was even more unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thats absolute bull****. Materazzi didn't deserve to be sent off and you know. There were two or three instances with Liverpool doing the same stuff and they didn't even get booked. Get a reality check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

For those going on about Karma - hopefully it will happen in the second leg also where Carragher will get a red card in the 1st minute for a dive by an Inter player in the box.

First wasn't even a foul, for the second Torres thought about it(oh was I touched - better go down). Was a foul but not a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

didnt see the first one so i cant comment, but torres dived for the second one. he cheated and the ref took it. even benitiz actions were shameful calling for a red.shame and it robbed Inter and now liverpool are odds on to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

kida wrote: »
    For those going on about Karma - hopefully it will happen in the second leg also where Carragher will get a red card in the 1st minute for a dive by an Inter player in the box.
    Karma/Reputation, whatever you want to call it. Diving/Cheating will normally catch up to a player, as it did to Drogba last season. Refs will be slower to give you frees/quicker to give you a card.
    kida wrote: »
    First wasn't even a foul, for the second Torres thought about it(oh was I touched - better go down). Was a foul but not a card.
    Didn't see the first one so I can't comment. The second one was a cynical foul, very stupid when he knew he was on a yellow. It wasn't as if Torres would have been through on goal either, just really lazy defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ref had a shocker last night.
    Red Card was harsh. One definate yellow. Torres might have gone down a bit easy for the other which is not nice to see at all. The irony of the Utd fans in here slating him for it is hilarious though :) With the red card being harsh, i think it was absolutely levelled out when Liverpool were denied the most blatant of penalties and numerous mental decisions by the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

People can say torres went down easy for the second one, but in fairness he was as well to as there wasn't alot on as there was cover, and he was getting his team a free in a dangerous position (although with liverpools delivery from set-pieces recently he was as well off he kicked the ball aimlessly over the side line!)

Matteratzzi should have had a bit more cop on than be caught like that....oh no wait matteratzzi and cop on, that dosnt really fit! I was delighted he got sent off for two "mild" incidents because if he had the chance he would have sent torres off on a stretcher.

Ref was very dodgy last nite, Mascherano probably should have been booked too for consistent fouling, none of which really warranted a yellow card, but one could argue Matteratzzis ones didnt really warrant them either.

The penalty should have been given quite simply because it was the gayest looking handball of all time, I thought Viera used to be a tough guy!! He looked quite camp in his handball pose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i have to say i thought very few of the fouls that Mascherano was penalised for last night were actually fouls!

As for people slating the ref for inconsistancy and not booking Carra for pulling the shirt? I think the reason the ref didnt was simply because it was kind of 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other, they were both fouling eachother and also it was in a fairly non-threatening position on the pitch. Of course the area a foul takes place will have a bearing on the refs decision and so it should.

• Advertisement
Advertisement