Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Fm

Options
  • 19-02-2008 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Whats peoples opinios on this station? Its on at work these days and its doing my head in! Fair enough the need to play 70's and 80's music but thet pick the woorst of that era and pretty much put it on repeat! The morning show can be ok, but then Keith Finnigen just spends a couple of hours going on a bout his "im a nice catholic boy" views! and whats with the guy at night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Haven't listened to it in a good while but when I did some things used to really irritate me, particularly with its sports broadcasting. When Jimmy Norman did the Breakfast Show he used to continually cut across "OT" while he read out the sports news. And usually with crap jokes or commenting on something that he clearly wouldn't have a clue about. Not too sure if that's changed since he switched to the afternoon, but it used to drive me wild!
    Also, they completely overdo it on the news. National news, international news, local news, business news, entertainment news, sports news, weather and the death notices on the hour EVERY hour!!
    Music usually isn't too bad, a decent enough mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

meh... i dont listen to the radio much but i don't think it's much worse than the national stations to be honest. Good radio programming seems to be a rapidly diminishing commodity across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

The Death Notices RAWK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Galway Bay FM sucks monkey bawls. Rubbish presenters, rubbish music and outdated journalism. Somebody switch it off and hang Garbage O'Calorgas on the transmitter mast.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    The Death Notices RAWK!!

<emotionless drone> "Galway Bay FM would like to sympathise with the family and friends of all the deceased"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I LOVE when Keith Finnegan gets the name of EVERY artist and or song wrong!! His latest phase was 'Rye Anna' he makes a shambles of everything. Dont know how old he is but look at Larry Gogan hes 200 years old and still down with the kids of the noughties!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Galway Bay FM sucks monkey bawls. Rubbish presenters, rubbish music and outdated journalism. Somebody switch it off and hang Garbage O'Calorgas on the transmitter mast.

'cptr

Agreed, and since when do the Sports guys now get to co-host half the bloody breakfast shows?! Same on Ian Dempsey on Today FM also, stick to the sport FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I do listen to Galway Bay FM (the pronunciation annoys me, though - it's Galwaybay-pause-FM, not Galway-pause-BayFM, but I'm being picky I suppose) for the local traffic news and all that - and at least the morning show is only half as annoying as on other stations (they don't talk too much, and they don't have people phoning in that much - I HATE people phoning in to radion stations live on air...and they don't have annoying other features (apart from that 'trimmer' guy - can't stand that ****e)

What's really rubbish though is what they call 'news'. It's not news, it's irrelevant drivel...I don't need to have soundbites of Heath Ledgers' neighbours saying he was such a nice neighbour, I don't care if Sean O'Paddy left the gate to his field open (unless this becomes traffic news cause a cow escaped), and there are other countries besides Ireland where things might happen that may be important on a global scale...

I'm having a regular shouting fit at the radio in the morning, just because of the 'news'....ah well...

But apart from that 'go local radio!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Youre up to date with Galway...........BAY FM!

Gareth O callaghan does nothing for me. His choice in Music is poor, why use him anywas? Surely theres better in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

He moved to Galway from Dublin for a fresh start... minus the family :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Can't stand Keith Finnegan and his I'm a true Galwegian nonsense..as for those two Jimmy and Ollie...it's embarassing to be honest, the jokes are pathetic..and the only artists they evr seem to play are Simply Red (or Simple Red as one dj thought they were called), Gabrielle. The Lighthouse Family and maybe a bit of Mundy thrown in...yawn..would love to see an entire rehaul of the station.....

and how could I forget that night time show years back.."The Love Hour' with Carina Gavin..."and this Boyz2Men track goes out to all you madly in love out there in Monivea.."

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i generally dont listen to radio any more.. especially after doing a radio show for 9yrs :eek:
    thank god them days are over..

wouldnt mind going into GBfm and shaking the place up for a laugh, and give ye all a good laugh while i'm at it :D:D
    and for all ye that dont know me, i can be one hell of a sarcastic ba****d,
    but at least i know what good music is :D

from what i have listened to of all the local commercial radio stations, i have come to the conclusion that having a radio on my phone is useless, in fact owning a radio of any kind is pointless, i tend to listen to internet radio more now.. at least you can choose a station by genre :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Galway Bay FM news headlines:

New traffic lights for Furbo despite local objections

Gort gets EU grant for €2,235 to for painting new double yellow lines

Gardai report 37 people arrested after Tuam funeral

Supermacs to get new paint job in bid to attract more tourists to Eyre Square

And finally....dog who urinated on Salthill Prom is shot dead by City Council

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They seriously need to expand their music library.same few tracks on a loop with 2-3 new songs added every few months.

ErnieBert wrote: »

Quite the headlines, Keith will be mental busy tomorrow morning;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

ErnieBert wrote: »

I love this county...

37 people arrested after a funeral is mundane!!

Long live the wild wesht!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I like Sport so I like the morning show on the way to work. I’d say between 8 and 9 in the morning there must be about 15/20 minutes of sport. Now if you didn’t like Sport you would have to turn it off. They do get away with murder on the morning show. Some of the sketches with Trimer can be good. The Local News Headlines can be embarrassing.
    Keith Finnegan must be the most annoying person in the world. I have to turn it off when he is on. Like one of the previous posters we use to have it on at works – but I worked nights when they use to play the repeats – He would drive you nucking futs.
    I do listen to the Death Notices because despite been bad news it would be worse if you missed out on some old friend’s mother/fathers funeral. I listen to it on the way home for the traffic news. I can’t listen to it on Saturday or Sunday morning’s either. It is a good local radio station but if you want good presenters and good music you would have to tune in elsewhere.

I'll send on Keith a link to this next week and he will start moaning about........................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

GBFM... oh where to start.

Keith Finnegan... badly needs to get himself a thesaurus! The only time I hear him (or bear to listen to him) is when he joins Gareth "love the show!" O'Callaghan, after the 9am "news", and he repeats "And also we'll be looking at... and also... and also.. and also... and also..." repeat *10 times!

As others have said, the music library needs a serious overhaul. They're playing exactly the same stuff as they were playing 15 years ago, sprinkled with the odd safe tune from the current chart. Seems like there's no effort put into it.
    And there's the news... I heard it one day and it started off with "local farmer leaves gate open"... and rounded off with Britney Spears latest troubles. Talk about covering all the stories. The presentation, the cringy taglines and jingles (You're UPTODATE!) are embarrassing.

The long term day-time presenters... Donal Mahon, Jon Richards... sound as bored as their listeners. Then they have some intolerable shouty young lad on in the evenings... "Galway's best music mix!" Yeah, right.

The schedule needs a big makeover. I actually used to like Jimmy Norman in the mornings, at least he's lively and has a decent radio voice. I would imagine, and maybe I'm wrong, that he'd have been happier to stay in that slot... but it seems Gareth arrived and he got bumped out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Galway....BAY!!!fm. Ugh, where to start?

Gareth O'Callaghan is only marginally easier to listen to in the morning than Jimmy Norman was. However, he totally over-kills the Eagles. C'mon like, it's bad enough playing them every morning but ffs, playing more than one Eagles song in the space of about an hour is head-wrecking.

I like Ollie Turner though, pure witty and pure counthry. The Trimmer Burke thing is quite good. I wonder sometimes though what kind of hours OT does because he seems to be in there all day doing the sport and he travels from Dunmore so do his family ever see him at all? The one thing about him that can get annoying is when you can hear him laughing in a way that I can only describe as 'wheezy' or like the laugh the dog in the 'Stop the Pigeon' cartoon does!

Thankfully I don't have to listen to Jimmy Norman anymore since he changed slots. He's a pure smart-arse. (Unrelated to GBFM, but JN related - I'm sick of seeing his big-nosed wife in the social pictures of the magazine she's the editor for. Talk about using your position. And put on a bra for God's sake woman!)

Keith Finnegan is so annoying. Do we really need to know what line the caller is on? Or maybe we do "so we do". He repeats himself so often, it's like he's talking to imbeciles.

Hmm, who's next?
    The news department.
    Since when do Galway Bay fm have a 'northern correspondent', a 'crime correspondent' etc? They say 'and now a report from OUR northern correspendent' etc. The correspondents belong to INN and are not employed by GBFM. Stop claiming them as your own!

Bernadette Prendergast is actually good at her job and I can stomach her (apart from the Galway.....BAYfm prononciation). Most of the younger women in the news department are alright although Stella Meehan's prononciation of 'made' drives me nuts - 'med'. Minor I know, but sure, while I'm on the buzz..

CAROLINE WHELAN. O my God, I have to turn it off when she comes on. Where is that girl from? The way she reads the news is fine but Jesus, that nasal accent just grates on my nerves!

Alan Murphy I can handle but the 'style coach' Claire Golden that he has on on Tuesday nights is a spanner! I believe they are both from Ballinrobe so it's probably a case of 'you scratch my back'.

There's one man - I think he might be Donal Mahon - who 'ah' puts the 'ah' word into 'ah' every sentence about 'ah' this much!

Valerie Hughes. Can't listen to her due to her choice of music. The parents have it on at home sometimes though so I hear it sometimes. It's full of multiple requests for the same wedding/birthday/anniversary etc and every second text she gets either starts or finishes with 'Hi Val, love the show!' and she reads it out! Self-praise is no praise.

One positive I can think of is the Irish show on a Saturday morning. Mix of chart music and a bit of 'celeb gos' as Gaeilge. I'd say it would be good for the oral Irish if there are any L.C. students reading this!

That's all I can think of at the moment. 'Praise the Lord' I hear you say!

I'm shocked!:eek: I never realised how much I hate that radio station. What a relief to have gotten all that off my chest! I'll have to stop listening; my stress levels will halve. Flippin' hell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

July wrote: »
    every second text she gets either starts or finishes with 'Hi Val, love the show!' and she reads it out! Self-praise is no praise.

LOL. Gareth is renowned for this. "Hi Gareth, LOVE the show!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

July wrote: »
    Galway....BAY!!!fm. Ugh, where to start?

Gareth O'Callaghan is only marginally easier to listen to in the morning than Jimmy Norman was. However, he totally over-kills the Eagles. C'mon like, it's bad enough playing them every morning but ffs, playing more than one Eagles song in the space of about an hour is head-wrecking.

I like Ollie Turner though, pure witty and pure counthry. The Trimmer Burke thing is quite good. I wonder sometimes though what kind of hours OT does because he seems to be in there all day doing the sport and he travels from Dunmore so do his family ever see him at all? The one thing about him that can get annoying is when you can hear him laughing in a way that I can only describe as 'wheezy' or like the laugh the dog in the 'Stop the Pigeon' cartoon does!

Thankfully I don't have to listen to Jimmy Norman anymore since he changed slots. He's a pure smart-arse. (Unrelated to GBFM, but JN related - I'm sick of seeing his big-nosed wife in the social pictures of the magazine she's the editor for. Talk about using your position. And put on a bra for God's sake woman!)

Keith Finnegan is so annoying. Do we really need to know what line the caller is on? Or maybe we do "so we do". He repeats himself so often, it's like he's talking to imbeciles.

Hmm, who's next?
    The news department.
    Since when do Galway Bay fm have a 'northern correspondent', a 'crime correspondent' etc? They say 'and now a report from OUR northern correspendent' etc. The correspondents belong to INN and are not employed by GBFM. Stop claiming them as your own!

Bernadette Prendergast is actually good at her job and I can stomach her (apart from the Galway.....BAYfm prononciation). Most of the younger women in the news department are alright although Stella Meehan's prononciation of 'made' drives me nuts - 'med'. Minor I know, but sure, while I'm on the buzz..

CAROLINE WHELAN. O my God, I have to turn it off when she comes on. Where is that girl from? The way she reads the news is fine but Jesus, that nasal accent just grates on my nerves!

Alan Murphy I can handle but the 'style coach' Claire Golden that he has on on Tuesday nights is a spanner! I believe they are both from Ballinrobe so it's probably a case of 'you scratch my back'.

There's one man - I think he might be Donal Mahon - who 'ah' puts the 'ah' word into 'ah' every sentence about 'ah' this much!

Valerie Hughes. Can't listen to her due to her choice of music. The parents have it on at home sometimes though so I hear it sometimes. It's full of multiple requests for the same wedding/birthday/anniversary etc and every second text she gets either starts or finishes with 'Hi Val, love the show!' and she reads it out! Self-praise is no praise.

One positive I can think of is the Irish show on a Saturday morning. Mix of chart music and a bit of 'celeb gos' as Gaeilge. I'd say it would be good for the oral Irish if there are any L.C. students reading this!

That's all I can think of at the moment. 'Praise the Lord' I hear you say!

I'm shocked!:eek: I never realised how much I hate that radio station. What a relief to have gotten all that off my chest! I'll have to stop listening; my stress levels will halve. Flippin' hell..

Best review of GBFM ive ever heard! The part about Garath O'Callaghan and the eagles is quality, can just picture 'The Dude' from the Big Lebowski getting into the black guys taxi - man, can you put on something else I fu*cken hate the eagles!

In fairness thought GBFM is pretty rubbish. So sick of listening to Keith Finnegan. All he ever talks about is mass, people he saw at mass, who died, Val Hanley, Casualty and how the nurses down there are doing a brill'nt job there, the aul biddies that live in 'old Mervue', old Galway and the aul shtock.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galah wrote: »
    What's really rubbish though is what they call 'news'. It's not news, it's irrelevant drivel...

But doesn't this comment apply to most alleged news broadcasts, and newspapers for that matter, in Ireland?

I think that journalism-schools here must have left out the bit about needing to ask questions and figure out what is really going on.

yes, it does. ;-)

(but I guess this is not the thread to discuss it - and I feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about what is classified as 'news' here).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The best local news for galway is carried by Raidio na Gaeltachta, it's in-depth, informative and investigative.

Oh and on average how many minutes in an hour are devoted to commercials & promotions?
    Things have changed since Radio West.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

yeah
    It's local news for local people :)

I assume you'd have to know Irish to be able to follow the news on that channel though?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Keith Finnegan is like an oul woman going on. Oh the bleeding heart! Apparently, he's CEO of the station as well.

He took the biscuit today however! He's been running a 'Mystery Voice' quiz for the past aaaggeess...usually only playing the 'Hello, youre listening to Galway Bay Fm', but today, nope, played the whole lot, the 'and I'm Chris Deburgh' bit...oh no Keith, he hadnt a fiddlers how to fix his 'booboo' as he often said..I had to snigger...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Keith Finnigen was doing a me and my spirituality speech in the Kings Head the other night, now that i would like to have seen! There seems to be no turn over of on air staff in there at all, the presenters never seem to change at all. In saying that the newsroom seems to be constantly changing...........from bad to very very bad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement