Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolution Cycle 2008

• 19-02-2008 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Hello, one of my friends (Fearghal) is preparing to circumnavigate the globe by bike and i am giving him a hand in drumming up support. So below you will find a little introduction and links to their website and facebook site. They recently completed a training run by cycling from Aswan to Alexandria in Egypt. You can check that out in the YouTube link below.

Anyway, thats it from me, i have fulfilled my friendship duties!

In 2008 Simon Evans and Fearghal O’Nuallain will leave their homes in Wicklow (Ireland) and begin their attempt to circumnavigate the world by bike and by boat. In doing so they hope to highlight climate change by encouraging people to tread more carefully on our fragile earth. They also hope to raise €26,000 for the A.W.A.R.E charity, €1 for every kilometer cycled.

http://revolutioncycle.ie/

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yTQGPIJa7HA

http://ucc.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7564855905

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

so this thread isn't about the track racing in manchester then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Sorry, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Since when did horizontal scrolling to read a website become a good idea? Really annoying! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Agreed. The mouse wheel scrolls up and down for a reason.

Yeah it is alright, as far as i know they are changing it to a more traditional style website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

kenmc wrote: »
    Agreed. The mouse wheel scrolls up and down for a reason.

Makes no difference with a macbook;) but I can see how that would be awkward/irritating on a PC.

Very nice website by the way. Looks like you'll have a lot of fun. Are you going to bike the entire landroute or will you be sticking the bikes on busses/trains? I hope you're all good mates:eek:

oobydooby wrote: »
    Makes no difference with a macbook;) but I can see how that would be awkward/irritating on a PC.

Very nice website by the way. Looks like you'll have a lot of fun. Are you going to bike the entire landroute or will you be sticking the bikes on busses/trains? I hope you're all good mates:eek:

Well, im only the housemate of one of the guys doing it (Fearghal). They will be cycling the entire land route and they will be sticking to Guinness World Records rules on what constiutes a circumnavigation. As far as i know they will be the first Irish people to do this. They will travel over the sea by boat. I think there are contact details on their website or you can drop them a message on their youtube page if you want to talk to one of them directly. Im just trying to pitch in and help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It looks like some guy has just smashed the existing record by 81 days. Are you're friends going for a record or just to complete it? It's still a great feat either way.

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Made-it-Scots-cyclist-Mark.3783774.jp
    Made it! Scots cyclist Mark Beaumont sets round-the-world record

SCOTS cyclist Mark Beaumont today completed his record-breaking challenge to become the fastest person to cycle around the world.
    Mr Beaumont, 25, has circumnavigated the globe by bike in 195 days and six hours – smashing the current record of 276 days.

He was reunited with his family today when he crossed the finish line at 2.30pm British time at the Arc the Triomphe in Paris – the city where he started his epic bid nearly seven months ago.

Guinness World Records said Mr Beaumont's record still had to be officially verified.

He has received messages of congratulation from Prince William and Olympic cyclist Chris Hoy.

Mr Beaumont, an economics and politics graduate from Newburgh in Fife said: "I'm delighted, although I think it will take a while for it to sink in.

"It's great to see my friends and family and now I'm looking forward to getting some sleep.

"The challenge was one of those things which was out there to be done.
    "I love the idea of being the first and the fastest and I felt I was capable of beating the record."

Mr Beaumon
    t has cycled 18,000 miles, a feat which has raised thousands of pounds for charity and should ensure his name enters the record books.

During the mammoth solo journey he passed through 20 countries on a route which included Pakistan, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and the United States.

His bid to circumnavigate the globe has been dramatic at times – he endured floods, road rage and was knocked off his bike in the American state Louisiana by an elderly motorist who drove through a red light.

Mr Beaumont also had his wallet and camera stolen from a hostel after a fight broke out.

He was met today by his mother Una, father Kevin and sisters, Heather and Hannah.

Hannah had travelled from Shanghai to surprise her brother.

Mrs Beaumont said: "I am very proud of him.

"With Mark, the passion is being the first and the fastest.

"It's about pushing himself to the limit."

No, i think they are just looking to complete it. I will forward this link onto him though, thanks!

• Advertisement

Was out last night with a friend of one of the guys on the cycle who mentioned to me this website. They've just 43 days to go, hope to be on the final cycle with the guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Looks like they're planning to return on the 15th of May. It's in some of the yachting press for some reason.:confused:

http://revolutioncycle.ie/

Advertisement