Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quicksave in FF Tactics on the PSP?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Silly question here but I can't seem to find a solid answer anywhere. Is it possible to save mid-battle in Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSP and then resume where you left off at a later time, or can you only save between battles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I havent played the game so i dont know if there's a quicksave feature built into the game but i do know that you can put the psp into sleep mode by quickly sliding the power switch. It will freeze the game at that spot and turn off. Then when you turn it back on again the game will resume.

So its kinda like a quicksave feature. Useful if you had to stop playing the psp to do something but not useful if you want to use the psp for something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Miskin_12

You can't save during battles with the PSP version. You can turn it off and resume the battle later though, assuming you don't quit it and it has enough battery power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Thanks for the replies! Sleep mode would sort of work but I wanted to see if the game would be any use to play on the train into work and there's no way I'm leaving my PSP in sleep mode for 8 hours every day in order to keep my progress. I really don't understand why more handheld games don't have quicksaves, without them it kind of defeats the point of the game being portable and I've seen lots of games where the quicksave file deletes itself once you load it so it can't be used to cheat. I'd much rather they had ported FF:Tactics to the PS2 so I could play it in comfort on the big screen instead. It seems to be the same story with FFXII: Revenant Wings so it's no use to me either :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sleep mode on the PSP takes up no battery power what so ever so it's not like it's wasting battery power in sleep mode, the ram state is saved to internal memory unlike with the DS.

Also, I haven't played the PSP version, but the PS1 game had a quicksave option, would seem stupid to disable it since the game is simply a port.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sleep mode on the PSP takes up no battery power what so ever so it's not like it's wasting battery power in sleep mode, the ram state is saved to internal memory unlike with the DS.

Well it does use a little battery power, 1% per 24-hour period if Wikipedia is to be believed! I guess that wouldn't be so bad, for some reason I was under the impression that sleep mode would drain a lot more than that. It does seem crazy that they would remove the quicksave when porting it to the PSP though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

even when the battery run out you will still find yourself in the part you left it in sleep mode...:)i played my PSP tactic about 100hours in that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The battles are more fun if you can't save in the middle of them I think. It makes it more challenging if you have to get do the whole battle without saving halfway through. And it makes it more interesting if you know that if you lose you have to start again - so losing is a bigger deal if that makes sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pwd wrote: »
    The battles are more fun if you can't save in the middle of them I think. It makes it more challenging if you have to get do the whole battle without saving halfway through. And it makes it more interesting if you know that if you lose you have to start again - so losing is a bigger deal if that makes sense

But it can be a pain in the arse when many of the battles are based on getting a lucky break at the start of them. The battles against the boss with the blood sword are near impossible without getting a lucky item steal or weapon break at the beginning of the level and some items that can be stolen from bosses are damn near essential if you don't want to do excessive levelling up but sometimes require a lot of luck when stealing them. I know I would have had fierce trouble on the dam level if I hadn't stolen the automatic resurrection amulet from a late boss and put it on arse kicker Agrias :)

pwd wrote: »

I know what you're saying and you're absolutely right. The kind of quicksave I'm talking about is one that you can only reload once rather than being a way to save and reload if anything goes wrong halfway through. That way you still have to finish the whole battle in one go but can suspend the game if real-life calls you away for any reason.

I've started the game, using sleep mode on the train, and so far it seems extremely difficult without doing a lot of levelling up at the start!

elekid wrote: »
    I know what you're saying and you're absolutely right. The kind of quicksave I'm talking about is one that you can only reload once rather than being a way to save and reload if anything goes wrong halfway through. That way you still have to finish the whole battle in one go but can suspend the game if real-life calls you away for any reason.

I've started the game, using sleep mode on the train, and so far it seems extremely difficult without doing a lot of levelling up at the start!
    dont expect to play everything well in 1st time or even 2nd time(i mean you still may lose the rare item in your 2nd play)!but you will quickly get that without leveling up before a battle you might put yourself in a tough situation later.

not a spoiler i guess,this psp version you dont need to worry about those rare items in some specific battles(except 1or2 of them) ,cause' they have 'backup' battles for you to get those rare items later again:)

@retro:
    count's armors set is no longer stealable...:( Orlandu is the kick ass character!but this time agrias get a super secret item made her insane:)

• Advertisement

seraphimvc wrote: »
    @retro:
    count's armors set is no longer stealable...:( Orlandu is the kick ass character!but this time agrias get a super secret item made her insane:)

It's not the counts armour I'm talking about. It's the chantage you can steal from your fight with Meliadoul (
    who joins you later and has the kick ass equipment break attacks
    ). It can only be equiped to females.

Orlandu is still the kick ass character in the game. Remember the first 4/5 ths of the game being an absolute nightmare and then getting ORlandu and having him practically take apart the battle on his own :) But up until that point Agrias was the main arse kicker.

As for lots of levelling up, yes it really is needed in this game. I usually just took the jobs in the pubs and wandered around until they were completed, there's more than enough jobs to take to ensure you are at a sufficient level to beat the game. It's still not going to be an easy ride and prepare to be stuck on a few tough levels like the executioners field.

It's not the counts armour I'm talking about. It's the chantage you can steal from your fight with Meliadoul (
    who joins you later and has the kick ass equipment break attacks
    ). It can only be equiped to females.

:Dyou can get that easily from secret hunt(they call that Pouch in PSP) or those 'backup' battles now!the one they added specially for Agrias is a way insane accessory:Dand they changed the armor break attacks work on no armor wearing monsters....they used to useless on field monster:D:D:D
    Orlandu is still the kick ass character in the game. Remember the first 4/5 ths of the game being an absolute nightmare and then getting ORlandu and having him practically take apart the battle on his own :) But up until that point Agrias was the main arse kicker.

As for lots of levelling up, yes it really is needed in this game. I usually just took the jobs in the pubs and wandered around until they were completed, there's more than enough jobs to take to ensure you are at a sufficient level to beat the game. It's still not going to be an easy ride and prepare to be stuck on a few tough levels like the executioners field.

ah,an unforgetable battle for getting that bloody
    blood
    sword and those very annoying timemages!:Di believe all FFT player will have that in mind forever!

ah,an unforgetable battle for getting that bloody
    blood
    sword and those very annoying timemages!:Di believe all FFT player will have that in mind forever!

3 days, 3 bloody days it took me to beat that level and I refused to do levelling up since I'd beaten all the pub missions. When I did eventually beat it I was so delighted because it was the use of great tactics and skill on my part that got me through it and not luck.

The only level more annoying was the one where you have to rescue either malak or rafa from the 3 ninjas on the church roof after that horrible boss fight (which I only beat with a string of flukey top level damage ninja attacks and a sole dragon knight who kept jumping at just the right time to avoid the enemies spells :) ). The ninjas got to go well before any of your characters got a chance to even move and the mission was failed before you even did anything. Had to look up a walkthrough which said to de-equip everything off your main character to stop them attacking Rafa/Malak, fecking ridiculous. I'm sure that mission has been fixed for the PSP version :)

3 days, 3 bloody days it took me to beat that level and I refused to do levelling up since I'd beaten all the pub missions. When I did eventually beat it I was so delighted because it was the use of great tactics and skill on my part that got me through it and not luck.

The only level more annoying was the one where you have to rescue either malak or rafa from the 3 ninjas on the church roof after that horrible boss fight (which I only beat with a string of flukey top level damage ninja attacks and a sole dragon knight who kept jumping at just the right time to avoid the enemies spells :) ). The ninjas got to go well before any of your characters got a chance to even move and the mission was failed before you even did anything. Had to look up a walkthrough which said to de-equip everything off your main character to stop them attacking Rafa/Malak, fecking ridiculous. I'm sure that mission has been fixed for the PSP version :)
    the executioners field:same thing happened on every first timer i guess:D eventually i managed to use archer&dragon knight take those timemages down very quickly to win the battle,but failed to get tat sword,and really got some luck on timemages successfully cast their bloody haste:)

roof top,me too using a dragon knight in that battle,to avoid their attack:)but about that de-equip thingy i havent heard that at all lol
    i think those ninjas are fine(or they remove them in psp version),but who would forget count's servant twins assasins?deadly one hit KO!

haha,good times:)

the executioners field:same thing happened on every first timer i guess:D eventually i managed to use archer&dragon knight take those timemages down very quickly to win the battle,but failed to get tat sword,and really got some luck on timemages successfully cast their bloody haste:)

roof top,me too using a dragon knight in that battle,to avoid their attack:)but about that de-equip thingy i havent heard that at all lol
    i think those ninjas are fine(or they remove them in psp version),but who would forget count's servant twins assasins?deadly one hit KO!

haha,good times:)

Well at that stage in the game the
    blood
    sword isn't much use anymore so no need to rob it, there were plenty of times to steal it before that anyway.

That roof-top level was extremely broken in the PS1 version so I'm sure it was fixed for the PSP version. Basically the assassins had such a high speed rating that they got their go well before your characters and killed the character you had to save before you got a chance to move. The only way to beat it was to equip some obscure item that brought your speed up to the maximum level or de-equip everything from the main character so that he made an easier target and the AI went after him instead. It's actually an easy mission once you do this since you only have to kill 1 of the 3 assassins to end it.

Finally I understand what you two were on about, having finally finished Chapter 3 last night :p To answer my own question, putting the PSP in sleep mode has been working out fine for the train.

That rooftop level must have been fixed for the PSP because I did it on my second go. On the first turn the assassins left Rapha alone to go after Ramza and then they split their attacks between all my characters on the second turns so it wasn't too hard to wear one of them down afterwards.

If by the executioners field you mean Golgollada Gallows battle
    against Gaffgarion
    , then yes, that was such a pain but very satisfying to finally beat. Agrias does kick ass! I think the 4-part battle I just did is the one that will stick in my mind though, I thought it would never end..

Such a good game :)

Glad you are enjoying it. Really want to check out the Ogre Battle and Tactic Ogre games since Tactics is meant to be very similar since Sqaure basically poached the designer and set him to work on tactics.

Yep, Golgollada Gallows is the level we were on about. Damn tough level.

Glad to hear they fixed the assassins level it really was incredibly broken in the original. I can only imagine the frustration of a lot of gamers who got that far and didn't know about walkthroughs. I just hope Orlando isn't so strong either, he basically rips through every battle once you get him, I'd say he could finish every level on his own :) There was a few other broken levels in the PS1 game as well. I remember one where the character you had to kill in the level just charged straight at you and basically ended up getting murdered in less than a turn. Pretty poor considering the plot was leading up to a bad ass fight with this character :)

Right you got me in an FFT mood. I'm off to listen to the soundtrack. <3 Hitoshi Sakimoto's work.

oh wow what a long journey on train :Dglad ya enjoy the game!

altho they fix some of the stages but the psp version makes more characters useless due to they adding more characters in it.no spoiler needed anymore i guess,Cloud is so not gonna going into any battle now,Mustadio is replaced by some pirate later...etc...witch/wizard/summoner high spells are now purely for collection:(

the sword you can steal from the mustache dude was an obsession for me at that time ,i love to toy with him by making him a naked knight(stealing all his equipment) lol i think in psp version you can buy it later .rooftop ha!another thing i can remember is count's legendary Genji armor set was stealable in ps1 version :(plus the assassins' weapon is still unstealable - if you look into that,their weapon make them one hit KO i think.

i think another battle made me mad was the stage with saving the poor little girl(some peasant's sister:pac:),the archers and mages can kill you before you get them from a so damn far distance.or any of those evil boss battle,the position you put your team is critical lol all sleep and magic boom - GameOver

good game good game

/get back reality for homework...

Mustadio was one of my favs. Give him the Knight skills and with his pistols he could use equipment breaks from miles away :)

Cloud was always useless in FFT for quite a while. He starts at level 1 in the PS1 version and I couldn't have been bothered levelling him up. The game required enough of that as is.

Advertisement