Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Loughrea like?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

As above, may be moving there.

Is there any bus services or transport?, local amenities or shops.

Thanking you;).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

did the same myself about a month ago. can't fault it so far, a lack of good value shopping wise, there's a thread on here somewhere about it already, basically tesco aldi etc are constantly refused from opening so its only the supervalu to go to :(
    theres a private bus firm who run a service into galway think it goes 3 times in the morning and 2 or 3 times in the evening which my girlfriend uses
    havn't been out on the town too much so far but there seems to be a good few pubs to choose from :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Earlc

Nice town. Pretty Small. Close to Galway City. Lots of local amenities. I quiet like the idea of not having a Tescos, Aldi etc. I live in the UK and tescos has ruined a lot of towns bigger than loughrea. If Tescos were to open in Loughrea, it would be on a out of town site. All the small businesses such as butchers, fruit & veg shops, petrol stations etc within the town boundaries (which makes like easy for locals to shop and give the town centre a vibrant feel) would not be able compete and would automatically shut down. Supervalue may be expensive but there are other options. Keep these multinationals out I say:)

Good luck with the move Doc, you could pick a lot worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sounds good sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

If your question about bus services is for between Loughrea and Galway city then this is the service people use for work/college commute: http://www.healytours.ie/ss_loughrea.html

As Loughrea is on the Dublin to Galway road there are also Bus Eireann/City Link/Nestors buses roughly every half hour.

Loughrea is traditionally a market town so there are plenty of shops with the notable exception of the big multinationals as EAFC_rdfl said (it might not be a popular opinion but I tend to agree with Earlc that a Tesco would do a lot of harm to Loughrea - the family owned business in the town centre couldn't compete)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

Nice town though with just the one nightclub.......Ringos!!
    Ringos.....if you there and your over 21 your considered to be old....nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Nice town though with just the one nightclub.......Ringos!!
    Ringos.....if you there and your over 21 your considered to be old....nuff said

Think I'll be a bit old for there!, what are pubs like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Less and less pubs every year its seems. Still, McNamees and a few others are decent. You should be able to find one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

This just might make you change your mind about Loughrea. Don't know if there's any truth but if I was considering moving there it's certainly something I'd look into.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/2480-claims-moyross-residents-relocate-loughrea?mini=all_news/2008/3/all&

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

apparently there is no truth to that. It was said as a joke/hoax and a councilor brought it up at a council meeting and the story took off from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Moved here over 2 years ago for house afordablility etc from Galway city.
    I love the idea of an open market and I think the consumer(IE ME) shouild have a choice where he/she would like to shop and make it my business not to shop in supervalue as in my opinion it has the market share and does not need to work about competitors so consumers get shafted!
    Many people in Loughrea like the idea of not having choice fair play to them but not me!
    Its like the town in Blazing Saddles with everybodies surname ending in Johnson.
    I make it my business to shop in Aldi,Lidl,Dunnes or tescos when I am in Galway,Ballinasloe or Gort.
    There are people connected with Loughrea and Galway county council that make it their business to turn down anyone trying to set up in Loughrea,unless your name is johnson!
    nuff said

On a brighter note
    Moylans is a nice sporty pub for rugby and soccer games.
    Billys Bargains a household name.
    Nice lake where you can only get an anglers license if your name is johnson.
    Town is bypassed(thank God!now for craughwell!)
    New hotel going in eventually!
    New public swimming pool going in after over 20 years raising money for it!(thats a alot of dough!)
    Like iranrod eireann "were not there yet,but were getting there!)
    slan
    j

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

JohnnyBoy - I agree with you that Supervalu's virtual monoply is anything but healthy and Aldi, Lidl or Dunnes would be welcome additions for the sake of competition and the unfortunate consumer (on the proviso that they would be within the shopping area of the town and not a car drive outside the town on basic planning principles). But I'm extremely wary of Tesco. Their reputation in the UK for damaging the vibrancy of small towns is well documented. They move in, aggresively undercut to drive small businesses to the wall then go back to their standard prices, the consumer is left with less rather than more choice and whatever character a place had is badly damaged.

agree on tesco!
    but we seriously need some/any competition for super(lack of)valu.
    thanks
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

As above, may be moving there.

Is there any bus services or transport?, local amenities or shops.

Thanking you;).

Yeah its nice lil place there is a bus route there now and plenty lil shops and very handy to get to the city !!!!

heard from someone who knows someone,that the new development at the old chanelle factory on the old galway road will comprise of McInerneys Super(lack of )valu and none other than ALDI!!!!
    freakin great news if true!
    slan
    j:eek::):):):):):):):):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

ya cos NOTHING improves a town like a character-less international supermarket :rolleyes:

i prefer a characterless international supermarket than getting ripped off with feck all choice!

and i also hope that more supermarket chains come to town!
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

there is choice. there are two supermarkets and a lot of other smaller shops. sure, you may save a few euro in a tesco/aldi/lidl or wherever, but the potential destructive effects of one of those supermarkets on a town are well known. there's plenty of those supermarkets in nearby towns - you say yourself that you use them johnnyboy and, at times, so do i. however, i'd much rather a town where local businessmen have a chance, and keep their profits in the locality. it may be a traditional viewpoint, but it's something i'm looking for in a small town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rescue26

Moved here over 2 years ago for house afordablility etc from Galway city.
    Its like the town in Blazing Saddles with everybodies surname ending in Johnson.
    I make it my business to shop in Aldi,Lidl,Dunnes or tescos when I am in Galway,Ballinasloe or Gort.
    There are people connected with Loughrea and Galway county council that make it their business to turn down anyone trying to set up in Loughrea,unless your name is johnson!
    nuff said
    j
    Why didnt you buy in Gort or Ballinasloe then seems your busy slating Loughrea. I am from Loughrea and dont know what your talking about the name Johnson. But anyway getting off topic, Bus pasts through Loughrea every hour, 2 Supermarkets and lots of other smaller shops, not so many clothes shops, Moylans is a good pub, Kearys is kinda a younger crowd but have good music some nights. McNamees is ok too, alot of pubs to choose from but only a few decent ones. New hotel is open and the food is lovely up there, well the bar food is, dont really like the restaurant and also the nightclub is opening next week, which is meant to be over 21's, cant see that lasting though. had a sneak preview of the nightclub, nice spot, its underground. swimming pool wont be up and running for a good while yet. personally I think its a lovely little town but i might be biased and i think its a plus that none of the big chain stores are there:D

rescue26 wrote: »
    Why didnt you buy in Gort or Ballinasloe then seems your busy slating Loughrea. I am from Loughrea and dont know what your talking about the name Johnson. But anyway getting off topic, Bus pasts through Loughrea every hour, 2 Supermarkets and lots of other smaller shops, not so many clothes shops, Moylans is a good pub, Kearys is kinda a younger crowd but have good music some nights. McNamees is ok too, alot of pubs to choose from but only a few decent ones. New hotel is open and the food is lovely up there, well the bar food is, dont really like the restaurant and also the nightclub is opening next week, which is meant to be over 21's, cant see that lasting though. had a sneak preview of the nightclub, nice spot, its underground. swimming pool wont be up and running for a good while yet. personally I think its a lovely little town but i might be biased and i think its a plus that none of the big chain stores are there:D

That was meant to be a joke!
    You obviously didnt get it!
    anyway
    I like loughrea,just that it has so much potential but the town council seem to block anyone from getting a piece of their pie!
    perfect example the lake,another closed shop how easy is it to get fishing there?not very!
    How long are the good folk of Loughrea waiting on a swimming pool?
    I seem to recall £20 raffle tickets being sold a long time ago,wheres the cash gone ?

There wouldnt be much here without the bypass,trust me!
    That was the reason i decided to move here.
    I getting to like it more and more.

regarding chainstores Open market - better consumer choice!!!

Didnt mean to offend!
    slan
    johnnyboy4711

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

To back up johnnyboy, the chainstores - such as Aldi and Lidl, provide huge employment opportunities for a local community in a time when jobs are proving more difficult to find in Ireland.

Aldi are opening in my town, Portumna, and let me tell you guys Portumna is a lot smaller than Loughrea. How do I feel about it? Good, because it will offer choice, provide employment and if you have any basic understanding of economics > More jobs, means more disposable income for those employees to be spending around the town and plus the savings that can be made in Aldi will mean more disposable income in local consumers pockets which can be spent in other buisnesses around the town.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    To back up johnnyboy, the chainstores - such as Aldi and Lidl, provide huge employment opportunities for a local community in a time when jobs are proving more difficult to find in Ireland.

Aldi are opening in my town, Portumna, and let me tell you guys Portumna is a lot smaller than Loughrea. How do I feel about it? Good, because it will offer choice, provide employment and if you have any basic understanding of economics > More jobs, means more disposable income for those employees to be spending around the town and plus the savings that can be made in Aldi will mean more disposable income in local consumers pockets which can be spent in other buisnesses around the town.

AMEN BROTHER!!!
    slan
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Adam Mitchel

Loughrea is a nice town but for the cartels that operate within the town. No competition hence really expensive to for grocery shopping.
    Avoid Supervalu pure rip-off !

Bring in the more competition into Loughrea.
    Oh ! I forgot the corrupt Chamber of Commerce don't like competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Adam Mitchel

Bring in the competition I say. Feck the like of SuperValu. They've ripped off the people for too long. If your happy to put up with playing through the nose for shopping then off with ye, keep you head in the sand ostrich boy, and let Gerry Mac empty wallet.

The loughrea area needs good kick in the buttocks to gets the town moving. It's visually a nice town, but lacks atmosphere, competition, and choice. There feck all in the town really. Hopefully the bypass will encourage more businesses in to town and kill off this red-neck bias to large supermarkets (it will mean more jobs for the area dummies).
    Plus hopefully some one will decide to build a good music store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Scoobydo

:rolleyes:Adam I don't know if you noticed but supervalu recently won the cheapest supermarket award on branded products. McInerneys in particular won the recent quality award 2008 and is voted to be in the top five supervalu's in the country. When it moves location it will be the largest supermarket in the country so Loughreas needs will be filled...your problem clearly is something else

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

A friend of mine moved there two years back and loves it. He works in Galway City, but previously from Dublin. I suppose it gives him a start in getting to Dublin, rather than starting frm Galway. It has to be similar to other City satellite towns like Gort, Tuam, etc.
    The new hotel in Loughrea should be a god addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 moderndaymadnes

I used to live in loughrea (moved back to galway). Honest opinions about this little Town!

Reasons to move to loughrea:

-The lake and the walk on the Gort Rd (corries field i think?)

- Affordable housing

- Good schools

- Easy commuter town for galway/athlone

- it has a bypass

- mostly safe for children

Reasons not to live in loughrea:

- People there are snobbie, make "outsiders" feel unwelcome and are clannish IMO
    - Pubs are rubbish, full of "farmers" who just stare at everything and anyone-sometimes i felt i was being spied on by the CIA. LOL :-)

- people not interested in general chit chat unless about hurling (it becomes very boring)

-Lack of competition (only one supermarket which is really really expensive, no matter how they try glam it up as being as cheap etc)

- A promise of a swimming pool (i will be cold in my grave by the time that comes and im only 37)!

- You walk into a bank and people try to listen to your business (really annoyed me, i never experienced that in any other country or county for that matter)

Anyway, i could go on and on and on and on lol! this is all my opinion, and people who have grown up there all their lives could prob never leaveeeeeeee.............................................. :-)
    Hope this helps Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Loughrea is a fine town but like everywhere could do with a couple of improvements:

- More competition for nightlife, while Ringos was fun in its time, its well overpriced and brutal value for money as well. The new hotel had an excellent nightclub in it but its closed at the minute - I don't think the €12 entry fee coupled with the €5 for the return bus from town was the best way to entice customers. Maybe a late bar would help?

- The lake should be "opened up" more. Its a bit of a closed shop at the minute, when it comes to fishing etc., there's a lot of scope for all sorts of activities but even in high summer (if we ever get one again), it is criminally underused.

- More walking areas like Corry's Field. This is a really popular route but there should be at least one more like it beyond the Long Point, and there should definitely be a walking route/biking route all the way around the lake.

- A decent stretch of the main street should be pedestrianised, with allowances for deliveries, like Shop Street in Galway. I know this was mentioned a few years ago but its unlikely to happen. It would give the town a focal point it somewhat lacks at the minute. To do this, the mart/Beattys yard road would need to be upgraded and made into a public road. Unlikely, but this is all just talk.

- The town definitely needs a small, public museum, given the immense history of the place, I'm baffled that most towns in Ireland don't have a museum when everywhere in somewhere like NZ, a country with a much briefer history than our own, has one.

- The Temperance Hall needs to be done up, and to be renamed! Its pretty shameful that a town with a long tradition of musicals, drama and theatre still has to suffer this shed for a performing space. It serves a useful purpose at the minute but it could definitely be more user-friendly.

- Finally, the town needs a big, thick, session of a weekend festival of music and banter every summer, regardless of the rain, it would create a bit of buzz and give the place a bit of life.

Just some of my thoughts on the town, what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

hoody wrote: »
    Loughrea is a fine town but like everywhere could do with a couple of improvements:

- More competition for nightlife, while Ringos was fun in its time, its well overpriced and brutal value for money as well. The new hotel had an excellent nightclub in it but its closed at the minute - I don't think the €12 entry fee coupled with the €5 for the return bus from town was the best way to entice customers. Maybe a late bar would help?
    12 euro into any nightclub on a friday night is a joke, but especially into that ringos place. is there any sign of the price dropping? I never got up to the nightclub in the new hotel, didnt realize a bus was running!!its only a 10 min walk!a late bar in town would be great, far better value for money!
    - A decent stretch of the main street should be pedestrianised, with allowances for deliveries, like Shop Street in Galway. I know this was mentioned a few years ago but its unlikely to happen. It would give the town a focal point it somewhat lacks at the minute. To do this, the mart/Beattys yard road would need to be upgraded and made into a public road. Unlikely, but this is all just talk.
    Not a bad idea, but I'd say bus companies etc would be out in uproar.
    - The Temperance Hall needs to be done up, and to be renamed! Its pretty shameful that a town with a long tradition of musicals, drama and theatre still has to suffer this shed for a performing space. It serves a useful purpose at the minute but it could definitely be more user-friendly.
    where is that hall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MNAJPA

Hello, all.
    My family and I are planning a 2 week trip to Loughrea in May. I've been "Googling" the town, to read as much as I can about it before we go.
    My great-grandmother is from there, (we are all from either New Mexico, or Florida, or New York, USA), and I've gotten 10 people so far in the family interesting in visiting Ireland (and another batch are interested that live in Massachusetts), and we will be staying in Loughrea for the most part.
    Are there things that an "Ugly American" should know? Even if it's negative, it's better for me to know how NOT to offend!
    Someone mentioned having a bar stay open later, and I was wondering what time they normally close? (The bars close here at 2:00 a.m.)
    The 12 Euro that was mentioned as the fee to enter the nightclubs, would be about 15 US dollars, and that is pretty steep. Are there other things you can tell me about?
    Thank you,
    Mary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

MNAJPA wrote: »
    Hello, all.
    My family and I are planning a 2 week trip to Loughrea in May. I've been "Googling" the town, to read as much as I can about it before we go.
    My great-grandmother is from there, (we are all from either New Mexico, or Florida, or New York, USA), and I've gotten 10 people so far in the family interesting in visiting Ireland (and another batch are interested that live in Massachusetts), and we will be staying in Loughrea for the most part.
    Are there things that an "Ugly American" should know? Even if it's negative, it's better for me to know how NOT to offend!
    Someone mentioned having a bar stay open later, and I was wondering what time they normally close? (The bars close here at 2:00 a.m.)
    The 12 Euro that was mentioned as the fee to enter the nightclubs, would be about 15 US dollars, and that is pretty steep. Are there other things you can tell me about?
    Thank you,
    Mary

Hey Mary, hopefully I can answer some questions for you

- The bars normally close at about 1 on the weekend, however this can be fairly changeable depending on a number of things, like if there's a big birthday party on, the bar might close later. The nightclub will close at 2 am and I wouldn't really recommend it, I always find the music/craic/prices better in the pubs. Mine own favourites in the town are Moylans (small but good), Kearys (bigger but busy, with good music) and Mcnamees (big and busy, good fun during the summer)

- As for things to do, there's lots, you should definitely do some horse riding and visit the local pet farm, especially if you have any younger folk travelling with you. Hill walking is good too, the mountains to the south of the town don't have any official trails that I know of but there's lots of quiet roads up there and the views can be lovely. Ye'll probably have a car or two, so I'd recommend a day trip to Connemara and also the Burren. The Aran Islands are lovely as well (if ye go there, hire bikes, not too fun if it rains, life as it should be lived if it doesn't!). The best thing to do would be to ask the locals the first night ye get here, they'll be delighted that ye're visiting here.

- Loughrea has everything you need in terms of restaurants (there's an Italian, two Chinese/Asian places, pub grub in a couple of spots and of course, greasy fast food places, always goes down well after a few pints!) and shops as well. There's a few craft places and some clothes shops as well that are worth checking out. Galway city is only a half hour drive away but the more money you spend local, the better!

- Haven't got much to say negatively about the town, why would I upset your plans by having a moan about the place? :L ...I like it here, I hope ye will too. Bring rain gear, because it WILL rain, and don't be afraid to ask the locals for anything you need, they'll be only too happy to hear that people want to come and visit Loughrea. Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of what you can look forward to:

http://www.countygalwayvec.com/images/sunset-loughrea-lake.jpg Sunset on Loughrea Lake
    http://www.goplay.ie/uploads/Images/Loughrea-Main-(7).jpg Loughrea on a sunny day!
    http://www.countygalwayvec.com/images/sttc-loughrea-abbey-gardens.jpg
    Loughrea Abbey

Book the trip, and give me a pm if you need to know any more!

Advertisement