Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Loughrea like?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 A.F.M.

Brouhaha wrote: »
    If your question about bus services is for between Loughrea and Galway city then this is the service people use for work/college commute: http://www.healytours.ie/ss_loughrea.html

As Loughrea is on the Dublin to Galway road there are also Bus Eireann/City Link/Nestors buses roughly every half hour.

Loughrea is traditionally a market town so there are plenty of shops with the notable exception of the big multinationals as EAFC_rdfl said (it might not be a popular opinion but I tend to agree with Earlc that a Tesco would do a lot of harm to Loughrea - the family owned business in the town centre couldn't compete)

Maybe if the family run businesses in loughrea stopped ripping people off Customers wouldn't be going outside of Loughrea shopping.

Also I can do a weeks worth of shopping in Aldi and it costs me 50 euro's less than in SuperValue.

As for the Hardware. It's a complete rip-off. I can buy the items for a third of the price in B&Q.

If Loughrea businesses want to survive, they need to offer value for money, end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

A.F.M. wrote: »
    Maybe if the family run businesses in loughrea stopped ripping people off Customers wouldn't be going outside of Loughrea shopping.

Also I can do a weeks worth of shopping in Aldi and it costs me 50 euro's less than in SuperValue.

As for the Hardware. It's a complete rip-off. I can buy the items for a third of the price in B&Q.

If Loughrea businesses want to survive, they need to offer value for money, end of story

I think some people just prefer shopping local, even if they have to pay a bit more, than driving to Gort or Galway to get their food or tools or whatever. And some people just like what they know as well - they'll go back to x shop because they know the shop will have what they want, and there'll be a familiar face there to give it to them. Also, there's an Aldi coming to Loughrea, so you won't even have to leave the town to save yourself the 50 euro.
    I will say that I'd rather Loughrea had thriving local shops than an out of town hypermarket undercutting everyone else. That wouldn't be progress, I think it'd be bad news for the place. My town > Tescos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Scoobydo

hoody wrote: »
    I think some people just prefer shopping local, even if they have to pay a bit more, than driving to Gort or Galway to get their food or tools or whatever. And some people just like what they know as well - they'll go back to x shop because they know the shop will have what they want, and there'll be a familiar face there to give it to them. Also, there's an Aldi coming to Loughrea, so you won't even have to leave the town to save yourself the 50 euro.
    I will say that I'd rather Loughrea had thriving local shops than an out of town hypermarket undercutting everyone else. That wouldn't be progress, I think it'd be bad news for the place. My town > Tescos.

You are right about Tesco being bad news for Loughrea. I think will be just fine with what we have..but Beatty's and Keanes could lower their prices a bit..they are extremely expensive for everything! And plus supporting local businesses supports local people..why would we want to support big multi national companies who would put nothing into the town?thats my view anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 A.F.M.

Scoobydo wrote: »
    You are right about Tesco being bad news for Loughrea. I think will be just fine with what we have..but Beatty's and Keanes could lower their prices a bit..they are extremely expensive for everything! And plus supporting local businesses supports local people..why would we want to support big multi national companies who would put nothing into the town?thats my view anyway

Hi Scooby,
    I have no problems supporting local business in Loughrea, if their prices were fair. Beatty's must be pulling numbers out of the air.

As for their hardware staff they could really wake up a little. I was in there for about 20 minutes before trying to get served, while they either slowly looked for something or they had a great chat.

A.F.M. wrote: »
    Hi Scooby,
    I have no problems supporting local business in Loughrea, if their prices were fair. Beatty's must be pulling numbers out of the air.

As for their hardware staff they could really wake up a little. I was in there for about 20 minutes before trying to get served, while they either slowly looked for something or they had a great chat.

very true about Beatty's..the worst thing is when they start sending you from one shop to the other!but the staff are the worst i've ever come across! And i did say Beatty's prices are extremely high..thats not exactly supporting local businesses. Ganleys hardware in Athlone is much better. Exact same spot lights were 15.50 in Beattys and 5.00 in Ganleys..huge difference. Beatty's haven't a clue on pricing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MNAJPA

I know that I don't live there. I live in America, but I was just in town visiting for 2 weeks. I LOVED it!!! While the rest of my family went all around the west touring, I stayed my whole 2 weeks right in Loughrea. I walked everywhere (lost about 7 pounds doing that!).
    From a complete outsider's viewpoint, I would offer a few things:
    1. If Beatty's keeps the way they're going, then the locals will choose to drive to Galway/other towns to purchase their items. If they reduce their pricing, to be inline with more realistic competition, they could last for YEARS. It truly is the manager's/owner's choice to keep the prices high, and the employees untrained on 'customer service'. But they might be choosing their own path of 'short-term' existence. Maybe they just don't care.
    2. I was very disapointed to see the new hotel, up on that hill, sticking out like a sore thumb with a white bandage wrapped around it. We used the hotel for our family reunion, and it's VERY nice, but it's too tall for the area. They should have designed it at two stories tall, at the most. Then I saw a large shopping area being built just a block or so away, and was a little depressed. Those 2 things are what's going to kill the charm of the town, because it won't stop there with just them! It's going to keep growing: taller/more/newer/etc. (the bad thing about progress, I guess).
    3. The pubs were pretty fun, and the town had such a wide variety, that it was nice to 'cruise' (as we call it here) from pub to pub.
    4. The constant flow of busses into Galway made it very convenient to hop over for the day, and then come back 'home', so we didn't have to spend the night out there during the Volvo races was a BIG plus!
    5. I didn't do any "tourist" shopping for clothes, but I did get very cold, and popped in 3 times to Mrs. Quinn's to purchase about 5 long-sleeved tops (at about 8 Euro each...I have no problem using the bargain places...why spend 48 when I can get it for 8?) My mom was window shopping, and saw a jacket that was really nice, but sold for over 50 Euro...we kept walking!
    6. All of the eateries had great prices, as well as, great food! I kept popping into 4 or 5 of them, because I really liked the atmosphere. (and I still lost the weight!)
    7. Everyone we met was very nice, and made us all feel welcomed (great for that small-town atmosphere, also.)
    8. You could do what we do here, in Albuquerque during the summer: Close off West Bridge and Bride Street entrances with barriers (including all of the little side-streets) and force all of the auto-traffic onto Barrack St, from the Athenry Road/Gort Road section and then back onto the end of Bride St, down past the School/office supply store. This would allow all foot traffic for the whole stretch. Use some of the empty office spaces for live bands (no alcohol needed, since there's so many pubs, so no need for liquor licenses) or things like that. Do this from Friday night at 6 p.m. until Sunday night at 6 p.m. Have the local shops stay open later (say until 8 p.m.) during these weekends. Now, here's the key: you really have to have the shops stay open, because the 2 things that will bring the walkers out will be music and shopping. The stores might even pull a fast one on us all, by offering special pricing during these hours only. We found out quickly that FOOT-TRAFFIC brings in the customers in waves, and the special pricing will motivate them to come!
    9. The Walks is a VERY big asset that I don't think is advertised to tourists much. I stumbled on it. If the kids wouldn't toss the trash/beer bottles so much, it would be awsome! I even heard that it was pretty dangerous. Now...that's a real shame. The town could benefit with doing something with it, even if it was a monthly fair for selling things like pottery or hand-made items.
    10. Last, but not least: The town is truly amazing! I wish I could live there. I loved the feel of the place. I'm just scared that the high prices of some of the shops could force the locals to WANT the taller/more/newer/etc. types of businesses that will force the 'mom-and-pop' shops to close. If the shops just reduced their prices even 5 or 10 percent, it would reduce the risk of people going to Galway.

I only wish I could go back.
    Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Thanks for the glowing assessment Mary. Now if only some of my fellow Loughrea people would stop griping about the town and would embrace the many, many assets we have then maybe Loughrea would have a better name in County Galway and beyond. Love your idea about closing the streets for the weekend - would do it for an evening rather than the full weekend personally but it's something that could definitely work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lucciano

very true about Beatty's..the worst thing is when they start sending you from one shop to the other!but the staff are the worst i've ever come across! And i did say Beatty's prices are extremely high..thats not exactly supporting local businesses. Ganleys hardware in Athlone is much better. Exact same spot lights were 15.50 in Beattys and 5.00 in Ganleys..huge difference. Beatty's haven't a clue on pricing!

Ganleys is a good shop. Some nice items there. I must check out the bulbs, I have to change a lot of the exterior bulbs to energy-savers. Might have a gander next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lucciano

MNAJPA wrote: »
    I know that I don't live there. I live in America, but I was just in town visiting for 2 weeks. I LOVED it!!! While the rest of my family went all around the west touring, I stayed my whole 2 weeks right in Loughrea. I walked everywhere (lost about 7 pounds doing that!).
    From a complete outsider's viewpoint, I would offer a few things:
    1. If Beatty's keeps the way they're going, then the locals will choose to drive to Galway/other towns to purchase their items. If they reduce their pricing, to be inline with more realistic competition, they could last for YEARS. It truly is the manager's/owner's choice to keep the prices high, and the employees untrained on 'customer service'. But they might be choosing their own path of 'short-term' existence. Maybe they just don't care.
    2. I was very disapointed to see the new hotel, up on that hill, sticking out like a sore thumb with a white bandage wrapped around it. We used the hotel for our family reunion, and it's VERY nice, but it's too tall for the area. They should have designed it at two stories tall, at the most. Then I saw a large shopping area being built just a block or so away, and was a little depressed. Those 2 things are what's going to kill the charm of the town, because it won't stop there with just them! It's going to keep growing: taller/more/newer/etc. (the bad thing about progress, I guess).
    3. The pubs were pretty fun, and the town had such a wide variety, that it was nice to 'cruise' (as we call it here) from pub to pub.
    4. The constant flow of busses into Galway made it very convenient to hop over for the day, and then come back 'home', so we didn't have to spend the night out there during the Volvo races was a BIG plus!
    5. I didn't do any "tourist" shopping for clothes, but I did get very cold, and popped in 3 times to Mrs. Quinn's to purchase about 5 long-sleeved tops (at about 8 Euro each...I have no problem using the bargain places...why spend 48 when I can get it for 8?) My mom was window shopping, and saw a jacket that was really nice, but sold for over 50 Euro...we kept walking!
    6. All of the eateries had great prices, as well as, great food! I kept popping into 4 or 5 of them, because I really liked the atmosphere. (and I still lost the weight!)
    7. Everyone we met was very nice, and made us all feel welcomed (great for that small-town atmosphere, also.)
    8. You could do what we do here, in Albuquerque during the summer: Close off West Bridge and Bride Street entrances with barriers (including all of the little side-streets) and force all of the auto-traffic onto Barrack St, from the Athenry Road/Gort Road section and then back onto the end of Bride St, down past the School/office supply store. This would allow all foot traffic for the whole stretch. Use some of the empty office spaces for live bands (no alcohol needed, since there's so many pubs, so no need for liquor licenses) or things like that. Do this from Friday night at 6 p.m. until Sunday night at 6 p.m. Have the local shops stay open later (say until 8 p.m.) during these weekends. Now, here's the key: you really have to have the shops stay open, because the 2 things that will bring the walkers out will be music and shopping. The stores might even pull a fast one on us all, by offering special pricing during these hours only. We found out quickly that FOOT-TRAFFIC brings in the customers in waves, and the special pricing will motivate them to come!
    9. The Walks is a VERY big asset that I don't think is advertised to tourists much. I stumbled on it. If the kids wouldn't toss the trash/beer bottles so much, it would be awsome! I even heard that it was pretty dangerous. Now...that's a real shame. The town could benefit with doing something with it, even if it was a monthly fair for selling things like pottery or hand-made items.
    10. Last, but not least: The town is truly amazing! I wish I could live there. I loved the feel of the place. I'm just scared that the high prices of some of the shops could force the locals to WANT the taller/more/newer/etc. types of businesses that will force the 'mom-and-pop' shops to close. If the shops just reduced their prices even 5 or 10 percent, it would reduce the risk of people going to Galway.

I only wish I could go back.
    Mary

Like the idea of closing the street. Only problem would be parking places.
    As closing off the street would restrict parking outside xtra vision
    and the parking area across from billy's shop. Loughrea should invent it's own festival day. Close the streets, Open the shops get carnival type atmosphere, going for a day or for a weekend.

Loughrea should also try to promote the lake, with fishing competitions, small boating races etc. The lake is a great asset that's completely overlooked and under developed by the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MNAJPA

Thank you, Fatgav, but cClosing the streets wasn't my idea. It was Hoody's.
    Also, I was thinking about it, the day after I posted, and we only close the streets on the weekend NIGHTS, not for the whole day.
    The buses could do their pick-up and drop-offs at then ends of the streets, near the barriors.

Face it, there's only about 10 spaces, on the diagonal, on Main street (just near the Galway-bound bus-stop). There's only a few other places on that whole strip, where 4 or 5 cars can park. So you'll only loose about 25 spaces. WAAAAAY more cars could be accomodated in the lot for the stock-yard/fairs, over by Correy's restaraunt.
    People would be expecting to WALK the entire time, from Dunkelin all the way up to Bride st, if they'd be going anyway. What's one block from the old train station to Weaver's Rest.?

This could seriously be done!

And Hoody had another great idea about opening up the lake, all the way around. My daughter was excited about training at sea level for a 10K run we had the weekend we got home. Albuquerque is a mile above sea level, and she wanted to be able to run forever, when there was no altitude to hamper her training. But....From Long Point to where the path comes out on the street by the old Workhouse, until Correy's field by the boat house, she's got all traffic....this could be changed (creating jobs for the locals....!)

I'm sorry, I'm so opinionated, as well as, long winded, and I know this is none of my business since I don't live there...but your town has GREAT potential!!!

mary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

I have to agree the staff in beattys have to be the worst i've ever came across, they dont seem to know anything, the place is allways dirty & in a mess, I dont know who owns that place, but its obvious he / she has'nt a clue, I wont be going i there again anyways thats for sure !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I found Beattys yard was fine while the shop is a bit of a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Youngpoon

There's not a lot to do in Loughrea if your young enough. Theres a skate park but we all got bored of that after a few years.
    To be honest theres not much else to do apart from playing soccer and drinking, there a good few nice drinkin spots around though. The walks used to be the main place but the gaurds go down there a fair bit lately but its still all right if your fast enough to get away from them. theres plenty of other good spots around thought where ya can drink your lovely bottle of buck. Theres a few pubs aswell that you'll get away with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

What is the gay scene like in Loughrea? Heard it was ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

MNAJPA wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I'm so opinionated, as well as, long winded, and I know this is none of my business since I don't live there...but your town has GREAT potential!!!

mary

I moved to Loughrea 5 years ago and I never found a better list of the improvements that need to be made to the town that these posts. It is a good town but the shops doing the late opening Thursday Friday would be a great idea. As would the pedestrianisation. The bypass really improved the town hugely but it feels like it didn't do far enough by not excluding cars (at least at key times, say Thursday Friday evening or Sundays) from the main street. The opening up of a walk all around the lake is a deadly idea as well.

I completely agree with you as well about the walks. This could be incorporated into any drive to improve footfall with a market or maybe a busking competition to get people using them more.

Finally as a blow-in the hurling club needs to shout louder about upcoming fixtures in the pitch. Given it is just a walk up the road a few well placed notices around town encouraging people down would be a good idea. It is the main sporting bond for the town by a long way and strenghtens town identity more than any individual factor.

Couldn't agree more about the previous comments about the Temperence Hall as well. The talent in the town is at a much higher level that the space it is being displayed in.

Good town though just needs to be a bit more people rather than car friendly.

Mary, don't apologise for given your perspective. You've talked more sense in your posts after visiting for a few weeks than most life long Loughrea residents.

PS can we please keep the Tesco Supervalue row to the other topic, the agendas are flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

DJ Dodgy wrote: »
    The bypass really improved the town hugely but it feels like it didn't do far enough by not excluding cars (at least at key times, say Thursday Friday evening or Sundays) from the main street.

The bypass was meant to extend on to the Gort road but that section was not implemented. Cars or trucks going from Dublin to Gort, Ennis and all surrounding parts are driving down the main street as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

By the way the suggestions in this thread about the need for a summer festival are spot on. Closing main street and putting a small stage on the wide part between John Patrick's and Martin Fahy's sounds great, there is loads of trad. music talent around that could play, e.g. Joe Burke. Keeping the shops open whilst music playing sounds good also.

By the way the suggestions in this thread about the need for a summer festival are spot on. Closing main street and putting a small stage on the wide part between John Patrick's and Martin Fahy's sounds great, there is loads of trad. music talent around that could play, e.g. Joe Burke. Keeping the shops open whilst music playing sounds good also.

Occassionally closing the through access for trucks etc some weekends and evenings with pedestrian streets would discourage out of town traffic from chancing the town rather than using the by pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spotthedog

Thats funny,I always found the staff in Beattys to b very helpfull but they do seem to b very busy all the time maybe they too short staffed to clean as they always have a q of customers! I had a problem with a faulty item and found their after sales service very good. Something u WOULDNT get in Galways bigger shops. Shopping local keep us and our children in jobs.

Could do with a cinema or swimming pool in the town too keep the younger people occupied,less drinking in the town:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

pmason wrote: »
    What is the gay scene like in Loughrea? Heard it was ok!

Full of them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The bypass was meant to extend on to the Gort road but that section was not implemented. Cars or trucks going from Dublin to Gort, Ennis and all surrounding parts are driving down the main street as a result.

Of course people should remember that the M6 is not far from completion and the fact the motorway is going to be way offline from Loughrea. Traffic shouldn't be an issue by mid next year.

Are Supervalue moving out to the new building that the Lidl/Aldi is going into out by the Hotel. I was passing the building site and thought I saw the Supervalue logo on the sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Are Supervalue moving out to the new building that the Lidl/Aldi is going into out by the Hotel. I was passing the building site and thought I saw the Supervalue logo on the sign?

Yip, supervalu going in there alright, moving out of existing building

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

One of the towns biggest problems is the lack of things to do for young people.
    People bitch and moan if they see kids drinking or hanging around in groups.
    But they never see its because there is nothing else provided for the youth.

The surf club was never re-opened, the snooker hall was closed and the rest of the temperance hall is wasted.
    Bad and all as it is there are plenty of towns that would love that many halls to have events and activitys.

The swings is grand if your 8. But theres nothing for the teenagers.

The lake is completely wasted. Again the town is so lucky to have it but nothing ever happens with it.
    Funny how people mentioned cartels earlier as the only person ever seemed to be aloud in with an ice-cream van. Is the community warden and fairly involved with the hurling crowd ????

There is a small museum on the grounds of the cathederal but I dont think its ever open or very good.

Nightlife is non-existing once you pass 22.

Ringos is closed finally and the new place is a rip off.
    There is loads of pubs so you will find one you like but its only a good town for a few pint but dont expect more then that.

The supervalu issue will be resolved when the new place opens in October.
    In the town theres nothing you cant get in galway for a 6th of the price
    Beattys staff are a shower of rude *****

Two Italians, 3 chinese an indian and plenty of chippers.
    A deacent golf club, an athletic club and plenty of walking to burn it off.

So the town has alot of potencial, wither it will ever relise any of it is a different story.

With a grand lake like that, you'd think there would be someone out there setting up a water sports centre on the lake, wind surfing, jet ski's , etc etc
    It would really do wonders for the area, and the kids would love it.

I see there is a triathlon on there sunday, if your around, call by, you will see a fine crowd down there thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

yip the lake has so much potencial, but the anglers pretty much own it. Even though theres not many. and alot of people say its not that great for fishing..:confused:

When you think you could have 15 different things on in the temperance hall at one time and even do something round the back to untilize the lake, itb sickens me.

But then again I forgot the only thing you can built down by the lake are giant ugly houses.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Im currently living in Ballinasloe but considering moving to loughrea because I work in Galway. At least twice a week the local guards seem to be out on the bypass :eek:.. those lads and ladies seem to be active so im wondering does this reflect on the town being safe? :confused: Iv also seen a few cycling out on the main street after midnight!!!

Im currently living in Ballinasloe but considering moving to loughrea because I work in Galway. At least twice a week the local guards seem to be out on the bypass :eek:.. those lads and ladies seem to be active so im wondering does this reflect on the town being safe? :confused: Iv also seen a few cycling out on the main street after midnight!!!

Loughrea is a very safe place to live. The gaurds would be on the by-pass to catch people for speading because they've nothing else to be at in the town. Gardi get an extra payment for 'keeping fit', therefore they have started to cycle..there is nothin to it but that. Loughrea is a nice town with a good night life at the weekends and very close to galway

So what do people make of the new Supervalue/Cafe out by the hotel? The space in the shop plus extra parking is welcome. As the moment feels like there isn't much of an extra choice on the shelves just more on the shelves but it will probably take a while to diversify into the extra space. but the Deli, Butchery etc areas are well laid out and the overall vibe is a less stressful/cramped shop. Think the turn in from the main road might need some more work, some permanent island or something to make it clearer than currently.

Anyway welcome addition to the town would be my vote.

• Advertisement

So what do people make of the new Supervalue/Cafe out by the hotel? The space in the shop plus extra parking is welcome. As the moment feels like there isn't much of an extra choice on the shelves just more on the shelves but it will probably take a while to diversify into the extra space. but the Deli, Butchery etc areas are well laid out and the overall vibe is a less stressful/cramped shop. Think the turn in from the main road might need some more work, some permanent island or something to make it clearer than currently.

Anyway welcome addition to the town would be my vote.

You'd think they would do up the road all along there too, my shocks on the car aer well hammered every day. I heard over the weekend the building where supervalue moved out of is going to be converted into a cinema, wouldnt that be grand

Advertisement