Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Loughrea like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

alibabba wrote: »
    You'd think they would do up the road all along there too, my shocks on the car aer well hammered every day. I heard over the weekend the building where supervalue moved out of is going to be converted into a cinema, wouldnt that be grand
    I was just saying that to my kids on the Wednesday that the old building would make a good cinema, no windows open floor plan etc.

It would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Are you McInerney by any chance!!!!:cool:

pmason wrote: »
    Are you McInerney by any chance!!!!:cool:
    Got me in one. Was it the An Clár Abú that gave me away?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

DJ Dodgy wrote: »
    I was just saying that to my kids on the Wednesday that the old building would make a good cinema, no windows open floor plan etc.

It would be great.
    But we're back to the parking issue again. Wasn't this one of the reasons McInerny moved premises?

I was in the new SuperValu over the weekend. Great improvement, can't fault the shop or parking. Maybe it was my shopping timing but I found many products missing. I hope they might expand the selection of products now too.

I thought the space between the parking and shop front was huge... are there plans for this space?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

What are your plans for this free space:pac:!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

pmason wrote: »
    What are your plans for this free space:pac:!!!!!!!
    Currently planning to use that space to set up an emergency tented treatment centre to help treat a portion of Loughrea residents that seem to be seeing McInerney's everywhere. There'll be discounts for anyone with a Supervalu loyalty bar code thingies, (you know the ones that sends out ultrasonic impulses to brainwash the holder to vote Yes for Lisbon.) How's Elvis by the way?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Scoobydo

MargeS wrote: »
    But we're back to the parking issue again. Wasn't this one of the reasons McInerny moved premises?

. Maybe it was my shopping timing but I found many products missing. I hope they might expand the selection of products now too.

Am actually they expanded hugely on their product range. Usually stores have to eliminate products which are out of date/not is fashion anymore..planograms provide the most up to date product ranges available and with the largest supervalu in the country and a store twice its previous size..i doubt they cut back on their product range..just simply updated it and made improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Scoobydo wrote: »
    Am actually they expanded hugely on their product range.
    Must have been the time of day I visited, as I found large gaps on shelves. Not as big a selection of chilled fruit & veg items as before. The chilled area just inside the door in the old shop was quite large, I think the new shop just has one chilled unit.
    I will be back for futher investigation this weekend. :D At least I don't have to pick my times to go now!

Must have been the time of day I visited, as I found large gaps on shelves.

Large gaps...an awful lot of customers may explain that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Must have been the time of day I visited, as I found large gaps on shelves.

Large gaps...an awful lot of customers may explain that?

There was no gaps on the shelves in the new Tesco in B'sloe, half of Loughrea was back there doing the shopping the other evening, fantastic place alltogether, i'd highly recommend it to anyone on this thread, great bargains to be got .....

• Advertisement

airhorn wrote: »

There was no gaps on the shelves in the new Tesco in B'sloe, half of Loughrea was back there doing the shopping the other evening, fantastic place alltogether, i'd highly recommend it to anyone on this thread, great bargains to be got .....

Ya like the Roses tins in Supervalu for 4.99?oh sorry 9.99 in Tesco!wen supervalu opened there wer no gaps..just the amount of custom from the town probably led to a few gaps i would presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Wait another 3 weeks until the German Discount Store opens in Loughrea, then you'll see gaps ... great to see some competition at last in Loughrea, badly wanted.

Wait another 3 weeks until the German Discount Store opens in Loughrea, then you'll see gaps ... great to see some competition at last in Loughrea, badly wanted.

Thats the truth alibabba !! The sooner the better, the sooner the better.... opening at a nice time too, right before christmas, SuperValue is going to be taking hits all sides now, they had it good for long enough, i hear Aldi are going to be taking on Irish people to work for them too... so in a way they are just as much Irish as SuperValue claim to be

Thats the truth alibabba !! The sooner the better, the sooner the better.... opening at a nice time too, right before christmas, SuperValue is going to be taking hits all sides now, they had it good for long enough, i hear Aldi are going to be taking on Irish people to work for them too... so in a way they are just as much Irish as SuperValue claim to be

SuperValu dont claim to be Irish..its actually proven that they are the strongest supporter of Irish produce. If you watch the Afternoon Show reviews on weekly shoppers SuperValu is beating Aldi. Aldi will employ 15 people in Loughrea against McInerneys 180. So for all those jobs I hope Aldi doesnt take over as you see it. And McInerneys wont be effected that much by Aldi..it will just stop people leaving the town and when the two stores are beside each other people will realise the difference in quality,range and customer service.

SuperValu dont claim to be Irish..its actually proven that they are the strongest supporter of Irish produce. If you watch the Afternoon Show reviews on weekly shoppers SuperValu is beating Aldi. Aldi will employ 15 people in Loughrea against McInerneys 180. So for all those jobs I hope Aldi doesnt take over as you see it. And McInerneys wont be effected that much by Aldi..it will just stop people leaving the town and when the two stores are beside each other people will realise the difference in quality,range and customer service.

I saw you posting on another thread 'SuperValue 100% Irish' which is it Scooby?

SuperValue are always harping on about how Irish they are.

If Aldi hire 15 people fair play to them, I find it hard to believe ye have 180 employed now in all fairness, i would like to know though what percentage of McInerneys work force are actually Irish citizens.

I saw you posting on another thread 'SuperValue 100% Irish' which is it Scooby?

SuperValue are always harping on about how Irish they are.

If Aldi hire 15 people fair play to them, I find it hard to believe ye have 180 employed now in all fairness, i would like to know though what percentage of McInerneys work force are actually Irish citizens.

It is the largest supervalu (no e) in the country and has one of the highest turnovers so they are the largest employer in loughrea. When I go in there i find the majority to be Irish citizens..a few very friendly girls on the checkouts are from abroad..but i find them to be nicer than some of the Irish girls! You all just need to get over your little thing against McInerneys..look at NCA reports and the Afternoon show weekly shopper and you will realise their prices are in no way high compared to other supermarkets

It is the largest supervalu (no e) in the country and has one of the highest turnovers so they are the largest employer in loughrea. When I go in there i find the majority to be Irish citizens..a few very friendly girls on the checkouts are from abroad..but i find them to be nicer than some of the Irish girls! You all just need to get over your little thing against McInerneys..look at NCA reports and the Afternoon show weekly shopper and you will realise their prices are in no way high compared to other supermarkets

Interesting comment that....

Interesting comment that....

Ya well its is very true. I have no problems with the foreign checkout people..you clearly do if you notice the amount of foreigners working in a shop. They are all very nice and friendly.

Ya well its is very true. I have no problems with the foreign checkout people..you clearly do if you notice the amount of foreigners working in a shop. They are all very nice and friendly.

What a lame backtracking reply Scooby, just because i notice the amount of non Irish employees in the shop, does not mean i have a problem with the non Irish employees.

Carefull now, I see many on this thread suspect you of being Mr McInerney & your recent comments wont do you any favours at all.

What a lame backtracking reply Scooby, just because i notice the amount of non Irish employees in the shop, does not mean i have a problem with the non Irish employees.

Carefull now, I see many on this thread suspect you of being Mr McInerney & your recent comments wont do you any favours at all.

I know that it may be hard for some to comprehend but im not Mr. McInerney as you all nicely refer to him. I was making an observation that some of the foreigners are very friendly compared to some of the Iirsh ones. But I have no problems with any of the staff from visiting the shop, they are all very helpful. Aldi will come soon and just merely stop the people from leaving the town who already go to Gort ect..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

:D
    I must say I am delighted that Loughrea has finally said yes to open market.
    I have lived here for almost 4 years and I always did my shopping in either Gort or Ballinasloe.
    Make no mistake I do the essential shopping in supervalu but the large shopping would be done elsewhere.
    I have found in my time that there was very little choice in the town regarding groceries,so had no choice but to go further a field.
    All in all it can only benefit the consumer on the whole!
    ON behalf of Supervalu they do supply very valuable support to local groups sportsclubs and charities which i can respect!
    Competition is the word,Super valu had none for years as a result of the owner of macinerneys being on the town council and they(themselves and any other interested parties) would veto any move for any other competition to them being allowed to set up shop.
    With the addition of a new supermarket,irrespective on whoever it is, can only be good for the town and not show it to be a closed circle of business'.
    In these times of strapped cashed punters I think its great that I will not be spending as much on petrol going to Gort and Ballinasloe(new tesco is impressive though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

Super valu had none for years as a result of the owner of macinerneys being on the town council and they(themselves and any other interested parties) would veto any move for any other competition to them being allowed to set up shop

Just correcting this, the McInerneys were not, never have been, on the town council. Even if they had been to say they could use the town council to veto a supermarket is fanciful. This thing of McInerney's blocking a Lidl or Aldi through some Machievellian plot is a myth.

Brouhaha wrote: »
    Just correcting this, the McInerneys were not, never have been, on the town council. Even if they had been to say they could use the town council to veto a supermarket is fanciful. This thing of McInerney's blocking a Lidl or Aldi through some Machievellian plot is a myth.

Myth of not, there is some truth to the argument.
    I know for a FACT, and I repeat FACT that the Macs had influence on the town council, but whether they used this to stop ALDI/ LIDL and Tesco from coming into the town I dont know for FACT.

Myth of not, there is some truth to the argument.
    I know for a FACT, and I repeat FACT that the Macs had influence on the town council, but whether they used this to stop ALDI/ LIDL and Tesco from coming into the town I dont know for FACT.

the mcinerneys were not on the town council, Michael McInerney was on the chamber of commerce, as many business owners in Loughrea are. I know the McInerneys could have blocked Aldi coming to the Loughrea Shopping Centre, as they are the majority owners of the centre, but could not continue to stop them coming to the town. Therefore their competition is next door, very clever when you consider it.

And with further price cuts and a range extending over 25,000 compared to Aldis 800, I cant see McInerneys losing much of their current sales, if anything Aldi may promote more sales as more people will come to the town and can see the huge differnce between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Its good for the consumer fullstop!
    slan
    j

the mcinerneys were not on the town council, Michael McInerney was on the chamber of commerce, as many business owners in Loughrea are. I know the McInerneys could have blocked Aldi coming to the Loughrea Shopping Centre, as they are the majority owners of the centre, but could not continue to stop them coming to the town. Therefore their competition is next door, very clever when you consider it.

And with further price cuts and a range extending over 25,000 compared to Aldis 800, I cant see McInerneys losing much of their current sales, if anything Aldi may promote more sales as more people will come to the town and can see the huge differnce between the two.

I never said they were ON the town council, did I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pudds

yep have to agree i find beattys staff very helpfull and freindly, i pop in there maybe once every to weeks for something or other and even though they maybe busy if i approach any member of staff they are more than willing to help and more times than not i end up having a little chat with whoever helps me! where would you get this kind of friendly bannter in a city shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

can someone please close this thread or move it.. it is so far off topic its not funny.. its supposed to be Whats Loughrea like.. its turned into Mc Inerneys Supervalue V the rest!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

can someone please close this thread or move it.. it is so far off topic its not funny.. its supposed to be Whats Loughrea like.. its turned into Mc Inerneys Supervalue V the rest!!!!!!!!

Let's bring it back on topic so, I moved out recently, had been living in Galway but decided to go the commuting route and get a bigger place for meself and the girlfriend.

One of the things I hadn't really picked up on before are that the Corrib petrol station is massively expensive for food items, will be avoiding it from now except in emergencies. Aldi and Supervalu are definitely the way to go.

Also, Saddlers/Amnesia are running a loyalty thing for February, saw a poster for it mentioning €3 pints or €3 vodka, can't find any details on their site though.

Would be good to get more information on what's happening etc. in this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tony2phones

Just stumbled on this thread. Anyone got an idea of things going on this weekend, music or entertainment wise. Forgot to look when we came shopping this week now we don't have to stop in town.

Advertisement