Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sore back during cycling

Options
  • 19-02-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

folks i just started cyclign into work today and am getting a soreness at the base of my spine when i cycle... it pretty much grand the minute i get off the bike....

... I have a sneaky feeling that a cycling mate of mine told me b4 that my seat might be too low... the one at the minute when i am at the bottom of the push my leg is about 90% straight...

... does anyone have any suggestions at all? thanks

paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

paddyc wrote: »
    folks i just started cyclign into work today and am getting a soreness at the base of my spine when i cycle... it pretty much grand the minute i get off the bike....

I think you should try to a-just the height of the saddle, try lower it down. This could also be sore because your are cycleing long distance in the morning at the same posture for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

its the length of the bike that is wrong, what size is the bike, and what size are you??
    how far up is the saddle???
    i always get that pain on my jump bike when cycling, its a 14" and waaaaaaaaay too small for cycling around, i take it you sit upright on the bike???
    mine is worsened by the fact that i broke my tailbone in a cash up howth a few years ago:eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

barlow

you think the saddle is too high for me? I will lower it and see what happens thanks. I only cycling 6 miles so it aint that much not enough to hurt my back i would have thought

kona

I will look into the size of the bike... it should match the length of mt inside leg... is that right? I sit uprightish on it... not hunched over the bars like a tour de france lad anyways :)

thanks for advice

paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

It could be that you just need to loosen up. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

paddyc wrote: »
    barlow

you think the saddle is too high for me? I will lower it and see what happens thanks. I only cycling 6 miles so it aint that much not enough to hurt my back i would have thought

kona

I will look into the size of the bike... it should match the length of mt inside leg... is that right? I sit uprightish on it... not hunched over the bars like a tour de france lad anyways :)

thanks for advice

paddy

inside leg is a very loose generalisation;)
    as people are different shapes and sizes, certain geometry will fit best, I know people who love 18" GT but can stand a 18" kona:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Paddy, this isn't very scientific but it will give you a quick way of measuring up your bike ...You will need someone to hold you up while you do this ..

Get on the bike, in bare feet, or with just socks.. have someone watch you while you pedal backwards, you should rock slightly ...your shoes should lift you slightly so you shouldn't be rocking.. if you are rocking a lot then drop the saddle...

check that out and get back to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Have had this exact problem and after doing all the usual rounds decided the only option was to change my bike. Up to this I was under the impression that the only relevant size for a bike was the height above the ground. I have since learned that the reach forward from the saddle to the handlebars was what was causing my pain. It is really worth having yourself correctly measured when buying a bike. Unless one is experienced and knows their own precise setup buying blind or online really is taking a huge risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's very definitely a posture thing.

I carry a bigish bag on my commute, probably pushing on 8kg. When I was cycling in, I'd find that my lower back would start to ache towards the end of the week.

A few weeks back I got SPDs. Because of the way these force you to cycle on the balls of your feet, I instantly noticed that my saddle was too low. So I raised the saddle till it was comfortable. Was only about 3/4 of an inch, but I've noticed that it's improved my cycling posture and my back is no longer getting tired/sore from the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I had the same issue with my first road bike and I am pretty sure it was a sizing issue, to do with reach. Unfortunately I didn't keep a note of what size that bike was before I gave up on it and sold it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I am concerned to hear about lower back pain. If it persists, consult a sports doctor before you go too far. There a huge difference between the effect of a pain from being in the one position for extended period and one that could indicate serious damage.

Unless some-one of the contributors to this forum is a qualified doctor and is experienced in analysing back pain, then be careful about what advice you take.

• Advertisement
Advertisement