Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Condensation issue in lobby below balcony

• 19-02-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Hello again.

My company has recently built 70 appartments and houses in Sallins.

We are having terrible problems with condensation on the concreate slabs above the ceilings in the lobbies.

There is no heat in the lobbies. They are vented with a 4 inch hole

the ceiling is double insulated with king span.

the small attic space in between the ceiling and precast slab has been vented by me. Drilling a 2 inch hole on each side of the lobby , hoping to get a breeze in there.

The concrete slab acts as a floor to the second level balcony and is open to the elements.

there is still heat from the apartment hitting this precast slab and turning into large droplets of water. We have spent 2 weeks insulating tacking and replastering. Followed homebonds advise.

I am at my wits end. there is water gathering in the ceiling again.

I was thinking of spray foam on the bottom of the precast slab but have no experience with it.

Would it be useful in this application.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

what about your architect ? who is certifying your developments ? I am obviously NOT looking for a name - I mean this is the person you need to turn to now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Sorry to hear you are at your wits end.
    If you could post a detial of the balcony construction I'm sure the many experts will be keen to give an opinion.
    I had similar problem with an insulated cavity wall which was then dry lined by sticking Kingspan composite board (plasterboard on PU) onto inside leaf of cavity. It transpired the condensation resulted from excessive water still in the building evaporating once heating on and condensing evrywhere - mould all over walls. Solution; opened windows with heat on and re-painted. No more condensation.
    agin, I would suggest posting details - you can convert a .dwg file to .pdf file for simpler posting.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

sinnerboy wrote: »
    what about your architect ? who is certifying your developments ? I am obviously NOT looking for a name - I mean this is the person you need to turn to now

I dont think he knows whats even going on. I will talk to the boss about that.

Someone suggested I take up the tiles on the balcony and insulate from the outside. This is starting to go into big money now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There possible a cold bridge where the balcony slab meets the first floor slab or wall. Where the slab is insulated internally, the cold bridge bypasses it into the appartment above.
    This is just speculating from some of your comments, it is impossilbe to know without seeing the detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I don't mean to sound disrespectful , but i am finding difficulty with your descriptions . as BFH says if you can post a sketch

in the meantime however my instinct tells me you need an insulation layer over the slab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Mellor wrote: »
    There possible a cold bridge where the balcony slab meets the first floor slab or wall. Where the slab is insulated internally, the cold bridge bypasses it into the appartment above.
    This is just speculating from some of your comments, it is impossilbe to know without seeing the detail

yeah . It is kinda hard to explain.

I don't have drawings. Im finishing foremen . Im just left to pick up the mistakes of the trades before me.

there is an RSJ in the little attic which could be contributing to cold bridging.

I hope it is just the moisture from the plasterer who was here last week.

will keep yas posted

Advertisement