Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

95 RON, 97 RON + Above

Options
  • 19-02-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hey,

How many garages are still selling super unleaded petrol?

I am running a Jap Performance car that is still mapped for 99-100 RON and i am finding it hard to find garages that have 97 RON (super unleaded) or higher.

I hear Shell are the best for petrol. Anyone running a Jap performance car and are using petrol that is not the usual 95 RON?

Whats your opinion on the garages that supply 97 and above RON?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

The only places in Ireland selling anything above 95RON are Maxol whos petrol is all 5% Bio-ethanol and they quote 99RON for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Elessar wrote: »
    The only places in Ireland selling anything above 95RON are Maxol whos petrol is all 5% Bio-ethanol and they quote 99RON for it.

There is a Maxol station down the road from me with a (super unleaded, 97 RON) pump.

Is there not some other petrol that Shell are doing that goes by a different name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Don't worry, your car has a map for 95 too. It'd run really badly if it didn't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ logik - Shell's V-Power is 95 RON!

Maxol's unleaded is either E5 (99RON, 5% Bio-ethanol) or E85 (104 Octane, 85% Bio-ethanol) but the E85 is not suitable for the vast majority of our cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Shell V-Power you get here is not the same as the V-Power you get in the UK. The variety here is still 95 RON. Maxol's E5 is your best bet - they charge the same for it as regular 95 RON unleaded. Not all Maxol garages have it yet though, they have a list on their website.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Don't worry, your car has a map for 95 too. It'd run really badly if it didn't.

I know that the car will run fine on 95RON, i am using standard 95RON with an Octane Booster in it, but was wondering if it was easy to get anything higher.

Not going to use E5 in a Naturally Aspired Engine, so thats a no go.

You don't need to use octane booster. As I said the car will run fine on 95.

What's your problem with E5? All cars since 1990 can take E10 without problem.

You don't need to use octane booster. As I said the car will run fine on 95.

What's your problem with E5? All cars since 1990 can take E10 without problem.

I dont have a problem with it mate.

Can i ask what your driving? Are you using E5 yourself?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

E5 is fine in all modern cars!

logik wrote: »
    I dont have a problem with it mate.

Can i ask what your driving? Are you using E5 yourself?
    Civic VTI. E5 runs just fine. Jury is out as to whether there's any difference, so I don't go out of my way to get it.

Ran it in my old Integra XSI once or twice too. Same conclusion (ie, nothing conclusive)

• Advertisement

Civic VTI. E5 runs just fine. Jury is out as to whether there's any difference, so I don't go out of my way to get it.

Ran it in my old Integra XSI once or twice too. Same conclusion (ie, nothing conclusive)

Ok cheers mate. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

what about an '88 carina II, ?¿

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I know that the car will run fine on 95RON, i am using standard 95RON with an Octane Booster in it, but was wondering if it was easy to get anything higher.

Not going to use E5 in a Naturally Aspired Engine, so thats a no go.

I would also like to know what this it about..? E5 and E10 are the standard (compulsory) fuels in many countries now. Its neither exotic or new.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Honda ECU's have a great retarded map that will retard the ignition advancement etc when being run on 95 ron fuel, but depending on what car the OP has, i dont think it would be safe to say he can run on 95 ron without any problems.

my Evo 5 ran crap on 95 ron until it was mapped and my god what a difference afterwards!!

kceire wrote: »
    Honda ECU's have a great retarded map that will retard the ignition advancement etc when being run on 95 ron fuel, but depending on what car the OP has, i dont think it would be safe to say he can run on 95 ron without any problems.

my Evo 5 ran crap on 95 ron until it was mapped and my god what a difference afterwards!!

Yup exactly. I am running a Honda Teg DC5 VTec. It needs to be mapped for 95 RON but until i get that done i will use Super Unleaded 97RON.

Yup exactly. I am running a Honda Teg DC5 VTec. It needs to be mapped for 95 RON but until i get that done i will use Super Unleaded 97RON.

your ECU will retard enough for the car to run ok, you should look at the dastek unichip or similar for best results.

nobody in ireland can map the hondata properly yet, so the unichip is the way i would go.

your ECU will retard enough for the car to run ok, you should look at the dastek unichip or similar for best results.

nobody in ireland can map the hondata properly yet, so the unichip is the way i would go.

The Mod Company i use is getting their €75000 machine installed mid March and they will then be able to map all Jap Imports to 95RON. They will be the first in the country to be able to do it. I am already booked in for the job at the end of March so until then i will just have to put up with 95RON and 97RON fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Or just buy some E5 as already mentioned!

If I was gonna chip it I'd do it myself and use a map that was done by one of the lads on this forum. All the info you need is here:

http://forum.pgmfi.org/

It's quite do-able yourself if you aren't afraid of opening stuff up and doing a bit of soldering.

The Mod Company i use is getting their €75000 machine installed mid March and they will then be able to map all Jap Imports to 95RON. They will be the first in the country to be able to do it. I am already booked in for the job at the end of March so until then i will just have to put up with 95RON and 97RON fuels.

who are you using?
    CDA?

they are getting a dyno dynamics rolling road very soon alright.
    they will more than likely use an apexi power Fc if one can be got for the DC5, or just use an apexi VAFC and control you air fuel and vtex mixture from that.

top guys and you wont be disappointed with the results afterwards.

• Advertisement

If I was gonna chip it I'd do it myself and use a map that was done by one of the lads on this forum. All the info you need is here:

http://forum.pgmfi.org/

It's quite do-able yourself if you aren't afraid of opening stuff up and doing a bit of soldering.

i have heard alot about these guys before, excellent software and if you can handle deffo worthwhile. me personally i would be scared ****less to try it out :eek:

who are you using?
    CDA?

they are getting a dyno dynamics rolling road very soon alright.
    they will more than likely use an apexi power Fc if one can be got for the DC5, or just use an apexi VAFC and control you air fuel and vtex mixture from that.

top guys and you wont be disappointed with the results afterwards.

Using http://www.couture-auto.com/.

They built my Cousins Evo7's engine and i think they are amazing.

Using http://www.couture-auto.com/.

They built my Cousins Evo7's engine and i think they are amazing.

yep Ben And Nick are good alrite.
    you should join www.dtdirl.com and then you get a discount!

have a look at their own forum : http://www.dtdirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

yep Ben And Nick are good alrite.
    you should join www.dtdirl.com and then you get a discount!

have a look at their own forum : http://www.dtdirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Yeah Nick is a sound chap alright. Very impressed with their work.

Here;s my cousins evo7 built by Nick and the boys:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=487633

i have heard alot about these guys before, excellent software and if you can handle deffo worthwhile. me personally i would be scared ****less to try it out :eek:
    I came very close to doing the DA6 myself, but then I remembered the b@stard of a job I had getting a new distributor (had to get it from Canada) and bottled out, as the ECU is just as rare. If I ended up fscking it up I could be months waiting for another one to come up, and minus a car.

Might look at it again with the VTI.. ECU isn't rare.

Advertisement