Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy

• 19-02-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

We should start keeping track of Dunphy quotes. The man contradicts himself constantly and knows absolutely nothing!

From memory.

"The Irish national squad have better players than Inter Milan"
    "Mascherano is overrated"
    "I know Liverpool fans and they dont think Rafa is the bees knees"
    "Barcelona are a nothing team"
    "Ronaldo is a puffball"
    "You look at the Inter Milan squad and they just dont have enough quality in their team"
    "Seville are a better team than Liverpool & Inter Milan"
    "This match is over, Liverpool are out of the champions league" (Half time in Istanbul)
    "O'Shea would get into the Inter team"
    "Cordoba is a nothing player'
    "Roma won Seria A last season(06/07)"
    "The European Cup is bigger than the World Cup...."
    "Niall Quinn is a creep"
    "I'll tell you about that guy, that gutter journalist, he is the guy that left his wife and ran away with a young one"

Anyone else got any ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tusky wrote: »
    "This match is over, Liverpool are out of the champions league" (Half time in Istanbul)

In fairness to him on that score I dont think there was anyone who said or thought any different at the time.

He was on form tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'll add new ones to original post. If any of mine are worded wrong, let me know.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness to him on that score I dont think there was anyone who said or thought any different at the time.

He was on form tonight though.

Agreed. Its still funny though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

See below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He's right about Mascherano. I like him but the guy is not worth 17 million, someone like Iniesta is worth 17 million.

Tusky how does he 'know nothing'? Football is constantly changing, an opinion can change with a blink of an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

"O'Shea would get on the Inter team". I felt he was embarrassing tonight - prob because Souey was there. I missed Brady actually as a calming influence on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Please stop listening to him, by listening to him you are keeping him in the job! If nobody listens to him he'll go away :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ronaldo is good but could he drive the train to Cork?
    Stamm has the turning circle of a tractor
    For John Hartson to improve he needs to lost 2 stone (and circles his ass on TV)

These may not be word for word perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

His whole rant about Italian teams being past it and not even close to theforce they were years ago, I was waiting on John Bill or Graham to ask him "Eh Eamon, which country are the current World Champions?"

"And eh Eamon, which club side are the current European Champions?" Souness manfully tried to get in the Italy being world Champions point but not one of them mentioned Milan. I don't scream at tellys but I very nearly did tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Shamrok wrote: »
    I felt he was embarrassing tonight - prob because Souey was there. I missed Brady actually as a calming influence on him.

I agree. Normally I quite like him but tonight he just seemed a bit aggressive or something...

Pighead wrote: »
    His whole rant about Italian teams being past it and not even close to theforce they were years ago, I was waiting on John Bill or Graham to ask him "Eh Eamon, which country are the current World Champions?"

"And eh Eamon, which club side are the current European Champions?" Souness manfully tried to get in the Italy being world Champions point but not one of them mentioned Milan. I don't scream at tellys but I very nearly did tonight!

Yeah that was absolutely ridiculous. They currently hold the most propitious honors in international and European club football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

"Seville are a better team than Liverpool & Inter Milan"

Obviously they are not in stature, but this year I reckon Seville would have as good a chance as any team to knock both Liverpool and Inter if they drew them next...

'Ireland are a better team than Inter Milan'
    'Cordoba is a nothing player' (Just because he's from S.America and not Brazillian/ Argentine)

He also mentioned Roma winning Serie A last season.. Hahahaha... The mans a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Dunphy = Muppet

RTE only keep him for the contoversial factor which brings viewers in.

I lost all respect for him when he took sides with roy keane years ago.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Obviously they are not in stature, but this year I reckon Seville would have as good a chance as any team to knock both Liverpool and Inter if they drew them next...
    I think Sevilla would cause us big trouble alright. I was relieved we did not draw them in the last 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"They didn't have the bottle Bill, they didn't have the bottle"

- From tonights game. Camera turns straight to Bill with the usual cheeky grin on his face. I'll upload later. Classic.

I think Sevilla would cause us big trouble alright. I was relieved we did not draw them in the last 16.

I rate Seville very highly but I still think its a bit of a silly comment when you look what Liverpool & Inter Milan have won in recent years compared to Seville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

the mods should just sticky a SDunphy thread, there's one about him everytime RTE show a live game ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

"Niall Quinn is a creep"
    "No, no, I reject that. That is an INSULT"

I rate Seville very highly but I still think its a bit of a silly comment when you look what Liverpool & Inter Milan have won in recent years compared to Seville.
    I'm not basing it on what Inter or ourselves have won recently but on Sevilla now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

If we all close our eyes he'll disappear.Here's hoping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

micmclo wrote: »
    Ronaldo is good but could he drive the train to Cork?
    Stamm has the turning circle of a tractor
    For John Hartson to improve he needs to lost 2 stone (and circles his ass on TV)

These may not be word for word perfect

Think he may have been refering to Steve "Im the boss, im the gaffer" Staunton here. God.... remember Stan?

The only thing I found cringeworthy although we will probably get a few of the posters on here lying to themselves saying that Man Utd (a massive European team) winning the Champions League would bring them more joy than a country of a mere 4 million winning the WC.

It probably is a stronger cup though.

I'm not basing it on what Inter or ourselves have won recently but on Sevilla now.

Arent they around 6th in La Liga ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Pighead wrote: »

What made it funnier as well was just as he went on a rant about how Utd beat Roma 7-1 last year and they were champions at the time and how Italian football was a joke league, the result showing roma had beaten real madrid tonight scrolled up on the bottom of the screen.

Someone give the graphics man a pat on the back. :)

Arent they around 6th in La Liga ?
    They're very much like ourselves - a team who produce in Europe. And I have €40 on them for the Champions League since the start! :D

I went into Paddy Power in February last year to place a bet on them winning it this year, but they didn't let me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The guy is a total fool.
    Its embarrassing how often he contradicts himself,a total and utter gob****e.
    I think Souness must sit there thinking ,"wtf am i doing here with these 2 hasbeens,is this the best i can do?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The only thing I found cringeworthy although we will probably get a few of the posters on here lying to themselves saying that Man Utd (a massive European team) winning the Champions League would bring them more joy than a country of a mere 4 million winning the WC.

It probably is a stronger cup though.

Arsenal playing in the community shield would bring me more joy than a world cup win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Dunphy tells it as he sees it which is a valuable quality in a pundit.
    He doesn't always get it right but he gets it right more than anyone other than Giles and Brady and I'm including in that all of the english punditry teams.

Half of the things quoted here already are right for crying out loud. The European Cup IS the biggest, most important championship in world football. Any team Liverpool can beat comfortably at the moment aren't a very good team (and I'm saying that as a Liverpool supporter). Again, as a Liverpool supporter, I don't think Benitez is "the bees knees" and Mascherano has yet to impress me. Certainly, I don't see 17 million in him.

And I'm still at a loss to understand how people can fault Keane for standing up to that idiot McCarthy. Ok, he could have handled it better but he was in the right at the start and McCarthy sided with the suits (you know, the guys who hired Staunton) instead of the players.

• Advertisement

They're very much like ourselves - a team who produce in Europe. And I have €40 on them for the Champions League since the start! :D

They are 6th in the league and all they have won recently is the Uefa Cup!
    RealJohn wrote: »
    Mascherano has yet to impress me.

I'm honestly not trying to start and argument with you and I dont want to offend...but I find that comment mind boggling. Anyone who knows anything about football can see that the boy is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Yaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!

why are you still watching him? Why?? You do know your license fees pay his wages! How does that make you feel??

Stop paying so much attention. He is pure pantomine. You dont spend so much time dilberating over the view of the Stars of the World Wrestling Federation, why do ye give a **** what Dunphy thinks? The more illogical the statement the more outrage it generates and the more ratings he subsequently gets.

He does not attempt to offer anything like analysis or an objective view of the sport. Controversy for its own sake. Show him the contempt he so desperatley deserves. Change the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

A few friends of mine and me were slagging each other today about who had recently expressed the most ridiculous football opinion. There was some tough competition, but I think we settled on one of the lads' belief that 'Hleb is twice the player Ronaldo is'.

Dunphy easily topped that tonight with his 'Ireland have better players than Inter Milan'. I'm quite sure that is the most ludicrous thing I've heard anyone say about football, ever.

I rarely watch RTÉ's CL coverage anymore mainly because of Dunphy, but it was on at one of the lads' houses tonight. I see I haven't been missing much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

"Niall Quinn is a creep"

I don't see anything wrong with this.:p

RealJohn wrote: »
    Dunphy tells it as he sees it which is a valuable quality in a pundit.
    He doesn't always get it right but he gets it right more than anyone other than Giles and Brady and I'm including in that all of the english punditry teams.
    Mascherano has yet to impress me. Certainly, I don't see 17 million in him.

Oh dear lord, have you watched Liverpool this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

By the powers of google -

"After watching Watford against Manchester City last night that was like a bubblebath. It was beautiful."
    - Eamon Dunphy, on the delights of watching Barcelona in the ECL

"He's a gentleman. He's a class act. He's a rebel. And he stands up to bullies."
    - Eamonn Dunphy, with the climax of his defence of Roy Keane on "RTE"

"Bayern, Arsenal, Real, Porto, haven't a hope. Chelsea good but won't win it, will struggle. AC Milan are not a top class side, Barcelona lack a bit of steel. If United beat Milan they'll win it"
    "I think Chelsea have a great chance"
    "I agree with John, I think Chelsea will beat Barcelona and reach the final."
    - Eamonn Dunphy, with a John Giles-inspired flip-flop

"It would have to be a young, hungry fighter. That rules out everybody here." <jerks thumb towards Liam Brady>
    - Eamonn Dunphy, discussing possible replacements for Brian Kerr in the RTE studio

"He doesn't look like a manager! He doesn't sound like a manager! ...Would you let him sit in your seat Bill, without any training? ...Would you let him drive the train to Cork without any training Bill? It's the same thing!"
    - Eamon Dunphy, letting fly at Steve Staunton on RTE (Sept'07)

"Mentally slow; the weakest link; a tramp of a player."
    - Eamon Dunphy, excerpts from a rant against Rio Ferdinand

"What I'm seeing on Match of the Day every week is pretty dreadful. They just talk drivel. Whoever is winning is great, whoever isn't, isn't. It's banal. And also semi-literate at times ... they never criticise in an intelligent way. Anything that isn't banal is said to be an outburst. They've created this cartoon world where everyone talks like Lineker and says nothing."
    - Eamonn Dunphy, in an interview for "442 Magazine"

"It's not meant to be entertaining. If you want entertainment, go to the pictures. This is serious!"
    - Eamon Dunphy, watching a cagey Germany v Argentina for RTE

"Kewell should have been yanked off the pitch at half time and put in a hot bath, a boiling hot bath."
    - Eamonn Dunphy

'I don't think he's a thousand percent mentally'

On Michael Carrick - " Carrick was signed for Spurs a few years back for
    £3m. That's the level he is at. He is a nothing player. He is one-paced.
    He doesn't have the personality to always get on the ball like a United
    player should. "

On Rio Ferdinand - " Ferdinand is a clown. He was a liability for the
    first goal and he is always a liability. It was Jan Vennegoor of
    Hesselink
    against Rio Ferdinand of Barclays Bank. "

On Fabio Cannavarro - "If Rio Ferdinand is worth £100,000 a week, then
    this guy is worth EUR100 million . . . . . a day"

On the Midfield - " United have nothing in midfield - they are a
    shambles.
    Any decent sides they meet will destroy them. "

On Kevin Kilbane - "Kilbane's head is better than his feet. If only he
    had three heads, one on the end of each leg."

On Harry Kewell again - "He's fat and a clown, Bill, a fat clown for all
    to see"

On Luis Garcia - "They (Liverpool) should put Garcia where he belongs -
    in the dustbin."

On Ireland in the 2002 World Cup - "I will be supporting Germany and
    Saudi Arabia in the contests ahead."

On Garth Crooks and Sven Goran Eriksson - "ha, ha, ha, that's the first
    time you'll see sex between 2 men live on the bbc"

On Djibril Cisse - "here we have Cisse, right wing, attempts to put in a
    cross, BANG...hits the full back, again BANG hits the full back,
    BANG...off the full back again, and once more, BANG...smacks the full
    back again.... Millions of euro and he can't clear the first man, I mean...whats he trying to do to the full back here, Kill him??"

On Liverpool v Barca - "I was hoping in the last fifteen minutes that
    Barcelona would beat them. I've made my mine up on Benitez tonight. He's a nice man but he's got a huge negative streak running through him.
    Liverpool were terrible in the second half. They didn't play football. If
    that was a concert, you'd boo. Gerrard: found out. A nothing player. They were terrible. Terrible."

And probably my favourite -

On about the Fergie V Strachen feud.
    Eamon: "Scots they're either nice or they're horrid and these two are horrid.
    Bill: "The Scots wont like that Eamon, thats bordering on racism".
    Eamon: "Its not racism its ethnic criticism Bill".

• Advertisement

stick-dan wrote: »
    If we all close our eyes he'll disappear.Here's hoping :)

Its pure entertainment. The twelve minutes of analysis after the game tonight (and Dunphy was tame compared to most nights) was more enteraining than the 95 minutes of football.
    RedorDead wrote: »
    Think he may have been refering to Steve "Im the boss, im the gaffer" Staunton here. God.... remember Stan?

He was indeed.
    I went into Paddy Power in February last year to place a bet on them winning it this year, but they didn't let me.

Why ever not?
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal playing in the community shield would bring me more joy than a world cup win.

Fair play to you. You seem to love your club.
    DaBreno wrote: »
    Yaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!

why are you still watching him? Why?? You do know your license fees pay his wages! How does that make you feel??

Stop paying so much attention. He is pure pantomine. You dont spend so much time dilberating over the view of the Stars of the World Wrestling Federation, why do ye give a **** what Dunphy thinks? The more illogical the statement the more outrage it generates and the more ratings he subsequently gets.

He does not attempt to offer anything like analysis or an objective view of the sport. Controversy for its own sake. Show him the contempt he so desperatley deserves. Change the channel.

He's like the greatest fictional character anyone could ever invent. Talks absolute drivel, makes little or no sense, is proved wrong 99% of the time and still we watch. I f*cking love the RTE coverage.

I think its safe to say if his opinions were in the form of posts on this forum rather than national television, he would have been banned long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gerrard: found out. A nothing player. They were terrible. Terrible.

That seems fair enough:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

twas some rant! i think the man is entertaining, can come out with some inteligent comments but some of the stuff he comes out with is just pure crap!

On about the Fergie V Strachen feud.
    Eamon: "Scots they're either nice or they're horrid and these two are horrid.
    Bill: "The Scots wont like that Eamon, thats bordering on racism".
    Eamon: "Its not racism its ethnic criticism Bill".

I actually agree with this! Scottish people are either the soundest people you could hope to meet or they are absolute *****. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

That one about putting Luis Garcia in the dustbin is classic.

They are 6th in the league and all they have won recently is the Uefa Cup!

I'm honestly not trying to start and argument with you and I dont want to offend...but I find that comment mind boggling. Anyone who knows anything about football can see that the boy is class.

No, anyone who has an opinion on football can either decide if the guy is worth 17 million, or his true value should be much lower than that.

Its the common conception that in order to appreciate Mascherano one must be a real football fan, as he 'doesn't do the obvious'...sort of like when Adrian Chiles made this cliché about Didi Hamann on MOTD 2 last week.

How many goals has Mascherano got for Liverpool? One tops!!!! A central midfielder should be able to score around 4-5 goals a season minimum. Have you seen the guy shoot? I don't think he has ever scored other than in the Copa America.

The guy has talent because when he first broke on the scene with River Plate he actually had skill, but if he is worth 17 million, then Cambiasso, Pirlo, Iniesta and De Rossi should break all transfer records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Its the common conception that in order to appreciate Mascherano one must be a real football fan, as he 'doesn't do the obvious'...sort of like when Adrian Chiles made this cliché about Didi Hamann on MOTD 2 last week.

It's not merely a cliche, it's a fact. Hamann plays simple five yard passes and wins countless silly free kicks to get us out of trouble. Mascherano does a lot of covering in front of his back four. That's his role.
    How many goals has Mascherano got for Liverpool? One tops!!!! A central midfielder should be able to score around 4-5 goals a season minimum. Have you seen the guy shoot?

Since when has football just been about scoring goals? It's about keeping them out too. You need players who can defend too.
    Its The guy has talent because when he first broke on the scene with River Plate he actually had skill, but if he is worth 17 million, then Cambiasso, Pirlo, Iniesta and De Rossi should break all transfer records.

Firstly, you don't just lose skill.

Secondly Iniesta doesn't play the holding midfielder role. He is given a licence to go forward, Mascherano isn't.

Now that Xavi fella on the other hand, he's priceless.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Secondly Iniesta doesn't play the holding midfielder role. He is given a licence to go forward, Mascherano isn't.

Iniesta even played up front for a decent chunk of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Mascho and iniesta are two players that couldn't be more different than each other. Masch is the new hamann. On the subject of hamann anyone see him last week for c**y he was immense.

Hope masch turns out to be half the player hammann was. He would easily be worth 17 million then. He doesn't have to score goals. He protects to allow the others llicence to and he is one hell of a tackler and he definitely aint slow either. I'd nearly say mistake him for a liverpudlian;)

How many goals has Mascherano got for Liverpool? One tops!!!! A central midfielder should be able to score around 4-5 goals a season minimum. Have you seen the guy shoot? I don't think he has ever scored other than in the Copa America.

How many goals has Makelele scored in his career?

Melion wrote: »
    How many goals has Makelele scored in his career?

Just with regards to your sig, I think Dunphy was being the ultimate troll tonight. He knows as well as anyone else that Liverpool should never ever be written off in Europe. He said that so it would get people talking, and if Liverpool win the second leg people will tune in to hear him try and worm his way out of it. Then when they win the quarter final, semi-final etc... it'll be the same. He's RTE's single greatest crowd puller, a true master of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Just with regards to your sig, I think Dunphy was being the ultimate troll tonight. He knows as well as anyone else that Liverpool should never ever be written off in Europe. He said that so it would get people talking, and if Liverpool win the second leg people will tune in to hear him try and worm his way out of it. Then when they win the quarter final, semi-final etc... it'll be the same. He's RTE's single greatest crowd puller, a true master of the show.

Am I the only one who watched the match? The Ref was a disgrace, the thing should be replayed, 12 against 10.

Of course you can't write Liverpool off when they have the sort of help and luck they had tonight.

Boggles wrote: »
    Am I the only one who watched the match? The Ref was a disgrace, the thing should be replayed, 12 against 10.

Of course you can't write Liverpool off when they have the sort of help and luck they had tonight.

Erm Liverpool were denied a clear penalty and Vieira handled the ball on three seperate occasions. The ref was bad but wasn't biased. The sending-off was wrong but the non-penalty was too.

Erm Liverpool were denied a clear penalty and Vieira handled the ball on three seperate occasions. The ref was bad but wasn't biased. The sending-off was wrong but the non-penalty was too.

Ref didn't see it, it was the linesmans call, maybe he felt sorry for Milan for having a player robbed.

Boggles wrote: »
    Ref didn't see it, it was the linesmans call, maybe he felt sorry for Milan for having a player robbed.

Ah thats ok so. Glad we cleared that up. How'd you get in touch with the ref btw?

Ah thats ok so. Glad we cleared that up. How'd you get in touch with the ref btw?

Quite sure the Ref could not see through Viera's back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement