Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Boggles wrote: »
    Quite sure the Ref could not see through Viera's back.

You don't have to see through someones back when the ball is at or above head height. It was as blatant a penalty as you are likely to see. What was the referee saying about the other hand balls by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    You don't have to see through someones back when the ball is at or above head height. It was as blatant a penalty as you are likely to see. What was the referee saying about the other hand balls by the way?

It was blatant to you sitting comfortably with your 4 different camera angles and slow motion.

Liverpool were very lucky tonight, would have been a completely different match if it wasn't spoiled in the 30th minute.

It was blatant to you sitting comfortably with your 4 different camera angles and slow motion.

And everyone in Anfield bar the referee. Are you saying it wasn't a handball, that the referee can be excused for not seeing it, or that the linesman didn't give it to balance out the red card.
    Liverpool were very lucky tonight, would have been a completely different match if it wasn't spoiled in the 30th minute.

I agree. Inter weren't up to much before the red card though. I've never seen a team go down to ten men and play as poorly as Inter did tonight though. Did you see the shot count?

I agree. Inter weren't up to much before the red card though. I've never seen a team go down to ten men and play as poorly as Inter did tonight though. Did you see the shot count?

Before the red card, Inter were playing like Italians do.

Are you saying Liverpool did not get the rub of the green tonight?

3 turning points in the game.

1. Sending off
    2. Inter's best player getting injured.
    3. A deflected goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:mad: What happened to the Dunphy quotes?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :mad: What happened to the Dunphy quotes?

Sorry

"I'll tell you about that guy, that gutter journalist, he is the guy that left his wife and ran away with a young one"

:)

Before the red card, Inter were playing like Italians do.

Read: Defending and boring football.
    Are you saying Liverpool did not get the rub of the green tonight?

I'm saying both sides were lucky/unlucky. The ref wasn't biased. Inter were unlucky first though.
    3 turning points in the game.

1. Sending off
    2. Inter's best player getting injured.
    3. A deflected goal.

Yep, yep and yep. But it was a penalty, can't you even admit that?

"I'll tell you about that guy, that gutter journalist, he is the guy that left his wife and ran away with a young one"

Myself and a lad in work can't go a day in work without saying that one.

"I'll tell ya who wrote it. Rod Liddle!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

"Gerrard, found out tonight, nothing player"

• Advertisement

Read: Defending and boring football.

I'm saying both sides were lucky/unlucky. The ref wasn't biased. Inter were unlucky first though.

Yep, yep and yep. But it was a penalty, can't you even admit that?

Yeah sterling penalty. Never said it wasn't.

Can you admit everything bar the penalty went Liverpools way tonight and that Barnsley are a better team? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Quotes from Pool fans proving that Dunphy got it wrong about them/Gerrard are boring... more quotes of him slagging off people please.

Can you admit everything bar the penalty went Liverpools way tonight and that Barnsley are a better team? :)

Gladly.

On Cisse.

"Look at this clown Bill, 10 million, only his mother could think he is worth 10 million"

Quotes from Pool fans proving that Dunphy got it wrong about them/Gerrard are boring... more quotes of him slagging off people please.

Jermaine Pennant. When I saw him coming on tonight I knew Dunphy would mention him post game.

Watch him rant here. Priceless. The bit about Pennant at 3:30 onwards is one of my favourite Dunphy moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

No, anyone who has an opinion on football can either decide if the guy is worth 17 million, or his true value should be much lower than that.

Its the common conception that in order to appreciate Mascherano one must be a real football fan, as he 'doesn't do the obvious'...sort of like when Adrian Chiles made this cliché about Didi Hamann on MOTD 2 last week.

How many goals has Mascherano got for Liverpool? One tops!!!! A central midfielder should be able to score around 4-5 goals a season minimum. Have you seen the guy shoot? I don't think he has ever scored other than in the Copa America.

The guy has talent because when he first broke on the scene with River Plate he actually had skill, but if he is worth 17 million, then Cambiasso, Pirlo, Iniesta and De Rossi should break all transfer records.

You dont judge a defensive midfielder by how many goals he can score. I'm not even going to get into this discussion. There are plenty of teams that will pay 17 m for this young Argentinian who is among the best in the his position in the world. Look at some of the other central midfielders that have been bought by around that amount. Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson & thats just Man Utd.

Oh...and why are you bringing Inesta into a discussion about D.midfielders.

Anyway, back on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Tusky wrote:
    Look at some of the other central midfielders that have been bought by around that amount. Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson & thats just Man Utd.

They were hardly value for money though! As regards Carrick and Hargreaves anyway.

The thing with Dunphy is that he starts out saying something reasonably sensical and then it snowballs from there into more ludicrous territory. He says the controversial things that gets the rest of the panel talking, not the banal stuff bill is feeding them. Once John or Liam are gving their opinion he likes to jump in with wilder and wilder statements.

I did smile when i heard "the irish team are better than Inter milan", priceless!

I'd always choose RTE coverage and apres match over RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Dunphy was hillarious last night. Really out done himself. How can you say you a league is crap and the football is 2nd rate when you don't watch it? Like my mate who says he doesn't watch Serie A becuase its all 0-0's, what a contradiction....

Two comments really done it for me:

"Ibrahimovic is useless" - this about a world class player who's problem is that he just doesn't do it all the time. No doubting his class what so ever.

"Cordoba, no one has even heard of him" - Sorry but the majority of the football world recognise him as one of the finest defenders in the world. Was labeled as being the best player on the park by Houghton before the injury!

What a plank. Blatantly ignores all structures and rules the FIGC have put in place in recent years to bring the game back. Its only 50% there but its happening and paying dividends. They are the current CL and WC holders are they not???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Tusky wrote: »

It was actually even funnier than that. After persistently badgering Bill for the name of the journalist, which he couldnt remember, he proclaimed along the lines of

"I know who wrote it! I remember! Rod Liddle, thats who wrote it....hes the fella who ran away and left his wife for a young one!"

"Ah now come on Eamon thats neither here nor there"

"No, it is!!!" *proceed to more ranting and pulling off microphone and threatening to leave*

Xavi6 wrote: »
    On about the Fergie V Strachen feud.
    Eamon: "Scots they're either nice or they're horrid and these two are horrid.
    Bill: "The Scots wont like that Eamon, thats bordering on racism".
    Eamon: "Its not racism its ethnic criticism Bill".

ROFL :D
    The only thing I found cringeworthy although we will probably get a few of the posters on here lying to themselves saying that Man Utd (a massive European team) winning the Champions League would bring them more joy than a country of a mere 4 million winning the WC.

Indeed :mad:

Anyway, more classics

'I don't think he's a thousand percent mentally'

"We'll all see through Mourinho. We'll find out he's just a Bengal lancer!"

"Fat and a clown. A fat clown for all to see." regarding Harry Kewell

"You need dictatorships and poverty to produce great footballers." Odd that the Iraqi team never made the finals given Saddams sons unique style of football management

"A decision like that, he must be on acid...(pause)...LSD Bill!!!" on a sub decision of Rafas

After a match ran over time a few months back, and the post match had to be rushed to catch up with the scheduling

Bill "Eamon, Im afraid we will have to leave it there, the Desperate Housewives are waiting"
    Eamo (grin on face) "Ill be up in a minute ladies"

"If Liverpool win the Champion's League, I'll hand in my resignation." Feb 2005

"Liverpool are going to come nowhere close to winning the Champions League"
    Feb 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Got to say, I love the RTE punditry with Giles and Dunphy. Its never dull. So what if Dunphy talks sh1te now and then, he keeps it entertaining. As someone who spent 4 years living abroad, they are for me the best pundit team (not necessarily the most knowledgable). Some of the Aussie rugby pundits were very entertaining, but give me Giles and Dunphy over any of the Sky or BBC pundits anyday. Some of the dullest games are brightened by a Dunphy rant. Fights with Brady etc. Great TV, and those of us who know bull when we hear it, can filter it out. Its WIN, WIN IMO. Classic TV. Dunphy for president:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I hear he made a good comment about never to buy players off Arsene Wenger...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

"The European Cup is bigger than the World Cup...."

This is true tho. From a player pov I think it's a more worthy achievement than a World Cup as the WC medal depends largely on where you were born.

Anyway back to Dunphy. He said Liverpool will get knocked out in the last-8 of the CL (just like he predicted in 05 and 07).

He also used Roma's 7-1 defeat as evidence of the decline in Italian football. It may be so but you'd think he'd be the last person talking about that game considering how wrong he got it in his forecast.
    Dunphy tells it as he sees it which is a valuable quality in a pundit.
    Ah were it so! He's just a professional wind-up merchant at this point who doesn't even believe his own bluff.

Pigman II wrote: »
    you'd think he'd be the last person talking about that game considering how wrong he got it in his forecast.

Not a hope, the guy rarely makes accurate predictions yet has no problem changing his mind two weeks down the line. Infuriating to watch, maybe thats why so many people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Guys we talking about the same guy who tore into the pools performance at the Anfield Barca game last year, after the pool dominated most of the game and hit the woodworks 2 or 3 times. He's obviously got something against the pool and unprofessionally lets it get in the way of work. I've seen him do it to my team for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Guys we talking about the same guy who tore into the pools performance at the Anfield Barca game last year, after the pool dominated most of the game and hit the woodworks 2 or 3 times. He's obviously got something against the pool and unprofessionally lets it get in the way of work. I've seen him do it to my team for years.

I dont know about that though, because I remember him talking about how there was no way Man Utd would win the premiership last season, he was also predicting a liverpool win at OT (they lost 2-0) and he also stated Liverpool would end last season with more points than Man Utd.. :p

Pigman II wrote: »
    This is true tho. From a player pov I think it's a more worthy achievement than a World Cup as the WC medal depends largely on where you were born.

tbh of the teams who make the semis and the final of this years CL you can bet a majority of players will be from

France
    Germany
    Spain
    Italy
    Spain
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Portugal

All countries which, with the exception of Spain, always pull off a good showing at the WC.
    with the rest made up of Dutch, English, the odd Scandanavian and, if Man U ,the Pool or, dare we believe, Celtic make it, a solitary Irishman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

did Dunphy just say Scott Brown is Austrailian?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Not a hope, the guy rarely makes accurate predictions

I have it from an excellent source that he loses nearly all the bets he places...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Hypocritical, incorrect, ridiculous as he is, RTE's analysis is still miles better than the blandness of the panels on BBC/UTV and the razzmatazz of SKY. Pat Dolan's trying to be the new Dunphy, but with Paul Dempsey next to him it's not catching on...

So RTE it has to be for the analysis, but I can never listen to their commentary. George Hamilton - painful. Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan, bitter ex-players. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan

Ray Houghton: Master of the obvious.
    Ronnie Whelan: Thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

dublindude wrote: »
    Ray Houghton: Master of the obvious.
    Ronnie Whelan: Thick.

Thick head. Thick body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I assume Eamon will slaughter Arsenal for drawing at home to AC Milan. They are miles behind that 'crap' team Inter Milan in that 'nothing league', Serie A
    Hmmmmmm, somehow i doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

that was hilarious stuff on rte with dunphy saying wenger was acting like john cleese.the other lads all laughing and brady looking like he was gonna explode suppose he cant piss off his boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Has anyone else noticed Ray Houghton on the cover of the latest eircom phonebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

yabadabado wrote: »
    that was hilarious stuff on rte with dunphy saying wenger was acting like john cleese.the other lads all laughing and brady looking like he was gonna explode suppose he cant piss off his boss

That was very bad taste on his part. He slobbers all over Alex Ferguson who is so arrogant and pig-headed he refuses to do interviews with the BBC. Liam Brady was right to rip into him.

Judging by the amount of times he mentioned him, move over Roy, Richard Dunne is the new golden boy.:) :pac:

I heard word somewhere Dunphy slagged off Roy in his paper column, is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I hate when he talks up Dunne. I love Dunne, but he's making him out to be better than he actually is. The guy is a terrific pure defender but very mistake prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hope someone puts it up on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Hope someone puts it up on youtube.

I think someone posted a video in the television forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Vintage Dunphy! Hes a bafoon but a very entertaining one.
    Brady is the only one that ever seems to stand up to him when he goes on a rant. It was an accident waitng to happen.

Hilarious stuff. I was laughing out loud at them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

adox wrote: »
    Vintage Dunphy! Hes a bafoon but a very entertaining one.
    Brady is the only one that ever seems to stand up to him when he goes on a rant. It was an accident waitng to happen.

Hilarious stuff. I was laughing out loud at them.:D

He was right about the point that they shouldn't just hold back because Brady was there, but why the **** was he in since the crack of dawn editing that video package? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Listening to Dunphy going on about Richard Dunne you would think he had discovered the next Cannavaro. Arsenal would have won the league and champions league if they'd had Dunne. Is there a list of all Dunphy's ridiculous utterances over the years? A bit like George W.'s bushisms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Ah, Dunphy knows what buttons to press, he just winds Brady up and watches him go! He even had Souness in on the act there, he brought up the topic of Wenger "losing it". Poor aul Bill started to get fierce annoyed too!

But once Giles is away, Dunphy'll play! Great entertainment:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Was a big bag of lols watching them go at it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was hilarious entertainment alright. Ya gotta love Bill the way he eggs it on like some sh*t stirrer in a school playground. :D

Brady: "If I'd known you were going to show that footage I wouldn't have appeared tonight."

Bill: "Really? Oh why's that Liam?"

These guys are definitely worth the license fee I don't care what anyone says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

shane86 wrote: »
    I heard word somewhere Dunphy slagged off Roy in his paper column, is that true?

He did indeed. In The Star on Monday. Didn't slag him off completely, he acknowledged what a great player he was and all of that, but certainly had a go alright, suggesting that Roy has wasted alot of money on crap players and is doing too much mouthing in the media (pot and kettle methinks) etc etc. He also criticised him for having a dig at United about the way he departed the club. Seems the Dunphy-Keano love affair is cooling quite a bit! I wonder if something happened between them, a couple of years Dunphy was ready to have Roy's babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Was hilarious entertainment alright. Ya gotta love Bill the way he eggs it on like some sh*t stirrer in a school playground. :D

Brady: "If I'd known you were going to show that footage I wouldn't have appeared tonight."

Bill: "Really? Oh why's that Liam?"

These guys are definitely worth the license fee I don't care what anyone says.

It certainly beats the planks on any other soccer broadcasts, there have been times in the past when I thought they were going to physically assault each other. My money would be on Brady, I'd say Dunphy would fight dirty though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

See my sig for Eamon's classic :D

Someone please youtube tonights debacle, was in the pub so only caught pieces of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Dunphy was way out of line tonight, for all that Brady was acting the tit and shouldn't have been there, you don't get personal like that in live TV - if you do and the other lad has any sense of tv morals, there's nothing he can do to respond. And thats not a situation you put anyone in on live TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dunphy is a joke nowadays.
    He was interesting and thought provoking up until a few years ago.
    Now all he does is just rant opinionated nonsense .
    His predictions are 90% incorrect ,he keeps repeating himself and he seems to have very little if no facts to back up his notions.
    He seems to be a propaganda machine for certain players who he incorrectly thinks are 'Great' players while other skillful players are dismissed as crap.
    Last week he was ranting on about what a God Rooney is,this week he launched a volatile attack on Arsenal.
    They were very unfortunate to lose the tie over 2 legs ,primarily due to one poor player and 2 contentious refereeing decisions.
    The width of a hair separated the teams.
    I like Brady as a pundit ,he is shrewd and knows his football well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement