Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

It probably has been mentioned but why take him so seriously? he is a talking head just doing what we do on boards, no one can be 100% in their predictions and sure the more wrong they are the more hilarious it is.

This tv punditry gig is just part of his media profile, threads like this epitomise his celebrity, love him or hate him, you certainly know him, and read him, and watch him, and listen to him, and buy his books (ghost written or otherwise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Oh it was brilliant! Who was playing tonight again?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I think Brady being so ridiculously bitter encouraged him,Brady had a tantrum and Dunphy riled him,it was funny.

As much as souness is biased towards pool,if we had lost he wouldnt have acted like Brady did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

It might also have something to do with the fact that we lost due to two bad penalty calls :(
    Besides who cares what that washed up alcoholic thinks anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

anyone who moans about Dunphy, just watch the coverage on BBC or UTV and see how BORING and back-slappy it all is. not one opinion (ridiculous or not) between the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

vorbis wrote: »
    It might also have something to do with the fact that we lost due to two bad penalty calls :(

Youdidn't lose anything from 2 bad penalty calls. You had a good penalty denied in the first game. After that, get a grip on yourself. Toure had no more chance of winning the ball,so it was a penalty. If Arsenal were the better team they would have gone through. When they needed a goal before Adebeyor struck, it was L'pool on the attack and in control. They scored from a fabulous break by Walcott, but it started 30yrds from his goal when L'pool were on the attack.

Brady was thoroghly unprofessional not accepting that on the night Liverpool were the better team. He just refused to see it. I was disgusted by his co-commentry last week when he didn't even attempt to be impartial and i think because of that Giles was swapped into commentry tonight. His suggestion that Wenger was animated becuase his team were not getting what they deserve was pure bullsh!t. Arsenal had an excellent first half of the season but recently they have been getting exactly what they deserve. Including the AC game where they destroyed them and got an excellent result.

And by the way, Dunphy is a muppet, obviously. But Brady was so pro-Arsenal that he set himself up for an attack by Dunphy. As usual Eamo has to mention how great some of ManYoo's players are.. Why does he always go back to that rubbish, suggesting Giggs is one of the reasons they win big games. Is he watching the same Giggs that i've seen this year???

Another interesting point was Giles reaction when the penalty was given. He went, "ah no!!". Again what happened to impartial commentators??? I'm not suggesting by the way that he's an Arsenal fan or a L'pool hater. Just that it was unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

ibh wrote: »
    Another interesting point was Giles reaction when the penalty was given. He went, "ah no!!". Again what happened to impartial commentators??? I'm not suggesting by the way that he's an Arsenal fan or a L'pool hater. Just that it was unprofessional.

The 'ah no' was meant as 'ah no ref, thats not a penalty', at least that was my interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

dc69 wrote: »
    I think Brady being so ridiculously bitter encouraged him,Brady had a tantrum and Dunphy riled him,it was funny.

As much as souness is biased towards pool,if we had lost he wouldnt have acted like Brady did.

If Liverpool had lost would RTE have shown images of Benetiz acting frantically on the touchline (which nearly every manager does) and then called him names followed by having a laugh at him (O'Herlihey and Dunphy could both be seen laughing) That was a bad piece of television RTE, leave that for gift grub you guys are supposed to be 'unbiased' and taken seriously. O'Herlihey was the worst imo, he at one stage insinuated that Wenger might get the sack which goes to show his complete lack of knowledge in both Football and Arsenal FC matters.

If this same ridicule had been made of Fergie, I'd like to see the reaction

Giles was mocking Arsenal most of the night. He came across as pro Liverpool. I think he said "Oh no" because it was a questionable penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    If Liverpool had lost would RTE have shown images of Benetiz acting frantically on the touchline (which nearly every manager does) and then called him names followed by having a laugh at him (O'Herlihey and Dunphy could both be seen laughing) That was a bad piece of television RTE, leave that for gift grub you guys are supposed to be 'unbiased' and taken seriously. O'Herlihey was the worst imo, he at one stage insinuated that Wenger might get the sack which goes to show his complete lack of knowledge in both Football and Arsenal FC matters.

If this same ridicule had been made of Fergie, I'd like to see the reaction

he wont get the sack but does there come a point where arsenal fans start saying the "kids" are great and the football is great to look at but united,chelsea and liverpool have all won something in the past 3 seasons.
    The kids are also an average age of 24/25 so is it time to start winning now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

vorbis wrote: »
    Well judging by the amount of threads and attention his opinions receive I'd say quite a lot of people actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    If Liverpool had lost would RTE have shown images of Benetiz acting frantically on the touchline (which nearly every manager does) and then called him names followed by having a laugh at him (O'Herlihey and Dunphy could both be seen laughing) That was a bad piece of television RTE, leave that for gift grub you guys are supposed to be 'unbiased' and taken seriously.

Fair point, I think Brady was right to be annoyed at that, it was disrespectful IMO. However Brady didn't come across well, being a man means you accept defeat graciously, not like a spoilt child who always wins or always expects to win. Generally Liam is ok though - he knows a lot and is quite objective and upfront about his situation with Arsenal.

The Dunphy show is getting tiresome - better than British channels perhaps but... He should be dropped for a while. If they need a controversial/funny clown/troll on the panel they should get some real comedians (gift grub, apres match or russell brand) and not a lazy celebrity ex-footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ah, no! I think his initial reaction might have been that the peno looked soft. Or that the defender had blown the tie for his team. But why do you think commentators are impartial, or should be? They are there to inform and, most importantly, entertain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Ah, no! I think his initial reaction might have been that the peno looked soft. Or that the defender had blown the tie for his team. But why do you think commentators are impartial, or should be? They are there to inform and, most importantly, entertain.

Maybe i picked it up wrong on the peno incident. Only heard it once obviously and thought it sounded like what you hear a fan say!! Most others seem to agree with you though, so i'll give him the benefit.

Disagree with that. Have no problem with pundits having affiliation to the respective teams. I think the commentators are there to inform not entertain. I know its hard to do though. You should listen to the commentry on Dundalk FM for the 'Town's' games!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

raven136 wrote: »
    The kids are also an average age of 24/25 so is it time to start winning now?

It is time to start winning, yes, but you have your average age wrong there (if by kids you mean the teams younger players, obviously Gallas and the like will but the total average age up if they were included)......

Diaby = 21
    Fabregas = 20
    Clichy = 22
    Senderos = 23
    Flamini = 24
    Van Persie = 24
    Adebayor = 24
    Eboue = 24

The Arsenal team still has a lot of growing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

As a side note, the United squads and the Arsenal squads are roughly the same age.

I don't think entertainment is talking crap to get a rise. I've said it before, but if Dunphy was on this forum, I've no doubt he'd be a laughing stock and probably banned for trolling.

He is just a professional troll, saying things to get a rise. We don't accept it on internet message boards, cause we all realise its stupid, yet we're willing to accept this as the standard on our national broadcasters?

Souness I think has really come along as a commentator, may be my favorite now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The "ah no!" was just a reaction to what he thought was a poor decision by the ref.

I generally think Giles is one of the more unbiased pundits/commentators.

Souness clearly loves working there though as you can see anytime he's on sky he minds his tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PHB wrote: »
    As a side note, the United squads and the Arsenal squads are roughly the same age.

I don't think entertainment is talking crap to get a rise. I've said it before, but if Dunphy was on this forum, I've no doubt he'd be a laughing stock and probably banned for trolling.

He is just a professional troll, saying things to get a rise. We don't accept it on internet message boards, cause we all realise its stupid, yet we're willing to accept this as the standard on our national broadcasters?

Souness I think has really come along as a commentator, may be my favorite now.

I seriously hope your opinion is in the minority. I'd hate to see the RTE punditry turn into Sky or BBC like. You have Giles, Souness and Brady for proper analysis. Dunphy's there so its not 'Lineker and friends'. Even Brady has his moments, he's a bit of a whinger. Throw him and Dunphy together, and theres chemistry. Neither are afraid to speak their mind in front of the Camera's. Great TV, long may it live!! Brady's had his pops at dunphy in the past also remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The "ah no!" was just a reaction to what he thought was a poor decision by the ref.

Souness clearly loves working there though as you can see anytime he's on sky he minds his tongue.

I wonder how P'd off Houghton was not to get the Liverpool match last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's because he generally doesn't know who anybody is.

I agree with the sentiments about Souness. I think he really enjoys the fact that he's not restricted in what he can and can't say, which has always been RTE's trump card compared to other stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

MikeySligo wrote: »
    It is time to start winning, yes, but you have your average age wrong there (if by kids you mean the teams younger players, obviously Gallas and the like will but the total average age up if they were included)......

Diaby = 21
    Fabregas = 20
    Clichy = 22
    Senderos = 23
    Flamini = 24
    Van Persie = 24
    Adebayor = 24
    Eboue = 24

The Arsenal team still has a lot of growing to do.
    the squad is what wins trophies and you fail to say almunia,gallas,toure,etc are all well above average.Is it not a myth that Arsenal have a bunch of kids playing week in week out.The squad averag age is 24,united's is similar and liverpools is 26.Arsenal have some fantastic young players but also some very experienced ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Hope someone puts it up on youtube.

Just go to the bloody RTE website, its there on the sports pages! Have to admit Dunphys actions last night were very childish and almost harry hill like comparing Wenger to John Cleese. It was the first time ever he tried to be funny and i laughed! Poor ould Liam swallowed the bait hook line and sinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

JimiTime wrote: »
    I seriously hope your opinion is in the minority. I'd hate to see the RTE punditry turn into Sky or BBC like. You have Giles, Souness and Brady for proper analysis. Dunphy's there so its not 'Lineker and friends'. Even Brady has his moments, he's a bit of a whinger. Throw him and Dunphy together, and theres chemistry. Neither are afraid to speak their mind in front of the Camera's. Great TV, long may it live!! Brady's had his pops at dunphy in the past also remember.
    i completely agree. i always switch over as soon as a match is finished on BBC or ITV these days, cos i can't bear the cringeworthy in-jokes and back slapping, not to mention the poor analysis which never adds anything to the obvious, but i always wait for the analysis on RTE. the analysis is the best on TV (i don't have Sky btw) and the lads will give their honest opinions without being afraid to offend little Shaun Wright-Phillips or anyone related to Jamie Redknapp (Daddy and Fat Frank)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

raven136 wrote: »
    the squad is what wins trophies and you fail to say almunia,gallas,toure,etc are all well above average.Is it not a myth that Arsenal have a bunch of kids playing week in week out.The squad averag age is 24,united's is similar and liverpools is 26.Arsenal have some fantastic young players but also some very experienced ones.

He mentioned "Kids". Gallas and Toure are no longer kids.

United HAVE a squad.
    Arsenals squad isn't great. There is no competition for places.
    If all were fit, which has never happened, the team would pick itself.
    Our squad players are not winners, we have no squad players worthy of a permanent first team place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

gucci wrote: »
    Just go to the bloody RTE website.

Whats eating you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just go to the bloody RTE website, its there on the sports pages! Have to admit Dunphys actions last night were very childish and almost harry hill like comparing Wenger to John Cleese. It was the first time ever he tried to be funny and i laughed! Poor ould Liam swallowed the bait hook line and sinker.

Chippy's chucked his toys out of the pram, and has said that he won't be appearing on tonight's programme on RTE. The best way to shut someone like Dunphy up, is to not listen to him. The guy is an attention seeking git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

almost harry hill like comparing Wenger to John Cleese.

It wasn't Harry Hill like at all! For one thing, this was funny.

Pigman II wrote: »
    It wasn't Harry Hill like at all! For one thing, this was funny.

No it wasn't. It was f**king childish. Looking for attention - which he's getting by us talking about it here - and looking for newspaper headlines. As someone already said on this thread - I lost any respect I had for him when he decided to crawl up Roy Keane a**e.

I do think, however, that Brady shouldn't have pulled out of tonight's show. That's only giving Dunphy more ammunition to mouth off!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He's just had another moment :D:D

Bojan isnt a good player :D

Melion wrote: »

He's a gobs***e. Eamo, do us all a favour, f**k off to the bar, and get p****d!!! That's the only thing yer good at.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Melion wrote: »

Well he has a point, lad is fairly small and lacks real pace for this level...

But hes 17 and still developing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hahahahah, hear how he doesnt rate Bojan because of his physical size, yet in the same breath said he wasnt on the same planet as Messi. News check there Dunphy, Bojan is taller than Messi. Also hails Iniesta who's another midget, contradictions galore.:p

Oh, and its actually 961 goals at youth level.

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Ya, because size is everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hahahahah, hear how he doesnt rate Bojan because of his physical size, yet in the same breath said he wasnt on the same planet as Messi. News check there Dunphy, Bojan is taller than Messi. Also hails Iniesta who's another midget, contradictions galore.:p

Oh, and its actually 961 goals at youth level.

Ya, because size is everything.

Come on now, I didnt say that...

Bojan is a striker, Messi,Iniesta etc are midfielders and dont have to hold play up etc...

Playing right up top takes alot more physical power, not saying Bojan cant do it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Nah, I know what youre saying, I just dont want every irish football fan judging him on that eejit Dunphy. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Whats eating you :rolleyes:

Sorry, didn't realise i was so rude :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

I think brady completely overreacted. all managers are criticised and if that was a video montage of another manager I doubt he'd have a problem with it. He's clearly quite loyal to the man...

i know its probably been done to death,but if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgxJXRly5g

poor quality ,but full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ROFL first time I've gotten to see it. Brilliant stuff! God I miss RTE's match coverage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Sqaull20 wrote: »

"The problem is he is the same size as he was when he was 12"

Words along those lines Dunphy used to dismiss his youth team record :p :pac:

He is an ignorant, drunken, mouthy, abusive, condescending, negative, sh1t stirring backtracking hypocrite who talks out of his arse. Which essentially is what makes him great tv. The day that Dunphy retires/gets sacked/boycotts RTE/dies from alcohol poisoning will without a doubt be the worst day in the history of sport in this country*.

He must be pushing 60 now :( How long you reckon he will go on?

*: In that statement I may have overlooked the Croker shooting/Landsdowne Rd riots/Stan appointment/ FAI selling out that qualifier in the 60s to give Spain a near- home advantage in Paris etc etc etc ;)

Advertisement