Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 PAYG broadband ?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have pricing details for this ? Due out at the end of Feb ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

There's something on the site about it (didn't look). If there current offering is anything to go by, this should be a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

No details on the site - was hoping for some insider info. It may very well be absolute pants but payg is fierce attractive if you're only using it infrequently - eg while commuting.
    All the other non-bill options are extortionate.

Ah balls - they are charging by the week. Modem 179, one week's access 5.99. Full month is 29.99

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

I have it with three in the UK but spend most of my time in Ireland and it still comes out of my allowance. Its prepaid and it costs £5 a month for upto a GB (expires after a month). I didn't have to buy the dongle either as I use my 3g phone as the modem. Good solution all round. You won't need a UK address to buy a sim either, £10 in any of their UK/NI shops and you get £10 credit.

Now you're talking ! Can I topup in the ROI ? Sounds ideal ! Do you need a 3 handset ?

• Advertisement

Have to keep bumping me own post but just got different figures on this - 5 euro/day , 10 euro/week, 25 euro/month. Will just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

3's service is unreliable, over crowded and generally unusable which will make this pretty much a waste of money no matter how "attractive" it may seem.

Its £5 per month, technically you're only suppose to use your mobile to access it but it works from a laptop as well. You're supposed to buy the £10 one.

You can top up over the web.

I live in Galway and find it works grand for basic internet surfing and email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mspsycho

jor el wrote: »
    3's service is unreliable, over crowded and generally unusable which will make this pretty much a waste of money no matter how "attractive" it may seem.

Have to agree with this poster, I have NEVER had a good experiance with 3 full stop in the Uk or here in Ireland. not only is it REALLY slow broadband it cuts out at least 2-3 times a session (and this was no different in central Dublin when I tested it there)

I'm under no illusions as to the quality of 3's service - I am a disgruntled ex-bill pay broadband user. I had hoped it would be a home broadband solution, but it proved to be shocking after a while.

I'm now looking for something to occassionally use on the train. There aren't many decent PAYG options - the Vodafone 1euro a day is the best, but won't work as a modem for a PC.

galway008, I'm going to give it a lash. Ordering a regular 3 UK PAYG SIM from eBay (not too pushed about speed).

Hoping to activate it by calling a landline in the UK and then top up online after that.

Do you use a HSDPA SIM or a regular 3G SIM ?

• Advertisement

I was well aware of three's problems, but the cost of this server just meant it was worth a go. I'll admit its not perfect but it has worked fine for me. Its not lighting fast but alot faster than dialup. It suits me as its mobile and its cheap with no contract commitments.

I am just using the regular 3g sim card. I use it thru a Nokia 6234 as a modem so can't use hspda.

Don't know about activation as I activated mine in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

From Silicon Republic this morning. 3 to launch prepaid broadband service in Ireland. Pricing and limits included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

jor el wrote: »
    3's service is unreliable and generally unusable which will make this pretty much a waste of money no matter how "attractive" it may seem.

There fixed that for you. Three has a load of problems but being over crowded aint one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I see that their monthly limit is 10GB before the per/MB charge applies - is that 10GB download or 10GB download + upload?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's Upload + Download.

As a 3 customer since last summer, I can assure you that unless you're lucky with your speeds, you won't get within an ass's roar of 10gb.

Advertisement