Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion in UCD

Options
  • 19-02-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that some class of religious instruciton in UCD should be available?
    I reckon if we made some religious classes compulsory for freshers it would really improve the atmosphere around UCD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think that forcing religion on people is the route of all evil and pain in the world. But thats just me. Religion is available to all but thanks to independent thought its there if people want to find it. Which religion do you suggest we force on people? .. John

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't see the point of religion classes as you put it, and in itself I don't think it would improve the atmosphere about the place. There is decent availability of pastoral and religious care services in the campus, with about five catholic chaplains plus other christian and non-christian faiths. I'm a catholic student and I find the religious influence (or lack of) on campus to be just right. There are people of all faiths here such as christian, jewish, islamic as well as people of no religion at all, followers of humanism, pagans and others. We all make UCD what it is and have no need for 'instruction' as you put it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

... didn't estenbancarimikjhjkhkjdshflkjs do this thread last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

No way should religion be introduced in a secular institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Our roots is as the 'Catholic University' but no, I don't agree with the idea.

I really like the system that we have in UCD. The chaplins are lovely around the place and I really like the mix that there is.

For those not into religion who want support there's always the student advisor's.

Giving 'instruction' is like putting us back in school and that's not what we need - sure you should look at mass here - often very busy and that's considering that not everyone who attends UCD would a) be catholic or b) attend mass on campus.

Faith shouldn't be forced upon people, it should be a free right for people to choose there own level, 'instruction' would only make people feel stifled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

In what way is the atmosphere lacking and in what way do you feel it would be improved? No, I don't think religion classes should be forced on people. Pretty sure it'd be illegal too since the university is state-run.

EDIT: I note this is your first and only post. You don't perhaps also go by the name Ernie Ball do you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    I reckon if we made some religious classes compulsory for freshers it would really improve the atmosphere around UCD.

Wtf? :confused: Logic behind this one please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Does anyone else think that some class of religious instruciton in UCD should be available?

Just be another lecture to skip to be honest.

I can honestly say I wouldn't attend. Ever. And as for improving the atmosphere? Well I don't see that working.

we all fed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Sean_K wrote: »
    Just be another lecture to skip to be honest.

I can honestly say I wouldn't attend. Ever. And as for improving the atmosphere? Well I don't see that working.

you wouldnt have an option if it was compulsorry and counted towards your degree. Sean, you sound a bit anti-religion to me. I dont mean to offend anyone but the replies so far are typical of the kind of irrelgious and frankly speaking sinful attitude prevalent in UCD....I know this dosen't sound hip and cool but in fariness this is a Catholic country and a catholic instituiton is needed to produce good clear thinking catholic minds.

• Advertisement

They always look so hungry though, poor things

you wouldnt have an option if it was compulsorry and counted towards your degree. Sean, you sound a bit anti-religion to me. I dont mean to offend anyone but the replies so far are typical of the kind of irrelgious and frankly speaking sinful attitude prevalent in UCD....I know this dosen't sound hip and cool but in fariness this is a Catholic country and a catholic instituiton is needed to produce good clear thinking catholic minds.

o_rly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

I agree Flynn,

many people nowadays have no proper religious education and thats why their so ignorant towrds religion.

nice owl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Dude, what the hell????

You're saying that because people don't want to go to a class as part of their DEGREE that we have no faith and we're sinful.

I'm sorry - but I do a course where I'm not allowed be religious - i have to treat all equally and respect all faiths.

And you want me to go to a class on Catholicism????

You mean to tell me that Catholicism comes before the Constitution????

Catholic country or not, people have the right to have faith in privacy and not be forced to take a bloody class.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

in fariness this is a Catholic country and a catholic instituiton is needed to produce good clear thinking catholic minds.

This isn't a Catholic country, my right to follow whatever faith I wish, or none, are constitutionally guaranteed.

And if you want a Catholic institution, then go to the Catholic Church. They're all over the place! To be fair, UCD is no more a Catholic institution than TCD is a Protestant one anymore.

Sorry for feeding the troll :/

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Dude, what the hell????

You're saying that because people don't want to go to a class as part of their DEGREE that we have no faith and we're sinful.

I'm sorry - but I do a course where I'm not allowed be religious - i have to treat all equally and respect all faiths.

And you want me to go to a class on Catholicism????

You mean to tell me that Catholicism comes before the Constitution????

Catholic country or not, people have the right to have faith in privacy and not be forced to take a bloody class.

I'm sorry if I offend you but its the UCD and the false secularism which is hurting you, whether you know it or not. If people don't agree with my opinon I'm sorry, at least reply to me rather than just messing around with silly pictures of birds.

ihas-a-sorry.jpg

I'm gonna give up feeding trolls for Lent.

@steph - good point. Applies to a lot of courses - mainly because it applies to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Oh dear...

I want to go Bruce Banner on this thread.

• Advertisement

Its ok. Lets shake paws. wow were sad lol

listen once a year some christian nut opens an account an posts on this very forum about this very topic. Methinks its on a certain society's list of anual events to be honest.

and for the record

i want to be

Hindu

see you all in hell apparently as Mr Flynn teaches, god loves you but you are damned forever so why try ! Now ive some sin to spread.

;)

and Karmabass. This is for you

[IMG][/img]Hulk_Catholic.jpg

You can't become a Hindu, you have to be born into the faith. But you're free to follow Hindu teachings. How's that for religious knowledge? :)

Jaysus that one sounds more like a country club. Now I want it even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*sigh*

I'm not sure which makes less sense, the basic idea of this thread or the fact that everyones post feeding the troll includes the words "i know I shouldn't feed the troll, but..." Show some restraint people. And also, stop killing my braincells, I need those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement