Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External soundcard recommendation

• 19-02-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Looking for a recommendation for a USB soundcard. I hear Creative's Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX is good, but suffers from power problems.
    I need it to record from vinyl to my laptop. It needs to be 24-bit/96 kHz. Creative's USB SoundBlaster Live! looks good, but only has USB 1.1. I don't know if this would matter much with sound?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

The Audigy 2 NX advertises 24bit (and fooled me - i owned one), but according to Wikipedia it kinda does and kinda doesn't support 24bit/96 kHz - you need to disable DSP. There was even a class-action settlement about the Audigy1's. It's for stuff like this that wouldn't recommend Creative products. I recently had a pair of Creative speakers go faulty (loads of noise) after about 3 months and then found on newegg that it was a common complaint.

At the same time, there's not much competition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

Of course there is good competition?, creative are among the worst soundcards on the market period. its just they've gotten a reasonable reputation because they were sold in every pc in the last 10 years.
    depends why you want an external card for, whats its purpose etc? recording, gaming ? or just general playback for media?
    Limiting yourself to USB is not advisable. whats your budget? I would get a firewire card for your pc and connect your external via that and it will open up your market search to the best of the bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Found a PCMCIA firewire card.
    I notice most of the USB ones only have a stereo miniplug line in. A proper RCA audio in would be good.
    Any firewire sound card recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

Again why do you want an external card and not an internal PCI?
    Heres some that have it all, not cheap, but you pay for what you get
    Firewire
    M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
    Echo Audiofire
    TASCAM FIREONE FIREWIRE
    Presonus Firebox
    TAPCO Link

Internal & External
    M-AUDIO Delta 66 6-in/6-out

USB
    TASCAM US-122 L

I recently bought a RME HDSP 9632 PCI, it dosent get much better then that for inetrnal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I only have a laptop-so no PCI slots.

Cheers for the tips

• Advertisement
Advertisement