Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road trip to Clare

• 19-02-2008 11:43pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My dear wife and I are thinking about taking our wee baby away for a week during the summer. We're not sure if we can face all the airport malarkey, so we're contemplating a trip down this direction.

I'm hoping to acquire self-catering accommodation, we've to sterilize bottles etc.

Is the there any such accommodation down your direction? Could ye recommend any restaurants or activities when we're down that way?

All suggestions very welcome, hope I'm in the correct forum :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Mr. Magnolia, where to start!
    Well there's plenty of self catering, plenty of choice.
    I take you want to go to West Clare? Quilty, Doonbeg, Miltown Malbay
    I can only give you advice on those areas as i have a little railway cottage of my own down there and have got to know the area well over the last 3 years.
    If thats the area you are interested in PM me and i can give you more details of pubs, restaurants, sites of interest, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sent, thanks mick.

I'm looking for any info on self-catering, restaurants and places of interest. I'd appreciate any pointers at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

West Clare is definitely the place to head to. Milltown Malbay/Spanish Point/Quilty I'd recommend, 'Quilty Holiday Cotteges' are self catering, affordable and are located at Spanish Point which has a good beach within walking distance. 'Willy Clancy' week is a trad music festival if you are interested in a week long hooly, however it is the busiest time of year so booking a place early is advised. It can get quite crowded but it's a fantastic experience if you are willing to compromise your peace and quiet. The week following there is a lobster festival.
    As for sights/activities, you have the Cliffs of Moher, Aliwee Caves and the Burren. Some great fishing down there too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's loads of self catering around the place, I presume your looking to stay around for about a week, and do something new every day with drinking in pubs not being top priority (i.e. you'll be driving most places).

I'd proberly recommend staying somewhere central, Ennis is the dead center of the county so have a check around a 10 mile radius of the town, that way your about half an hour from base at any stage in case you've any baby emergancies or the like. You'd be able to spend a day in Bunratty, a few days at different beaches, Cliffs of Moher, Caves, Burren and the like.

I've no expierence of staying in self catering places, but I have heard that some of them even offer baby sitting services in case you wanted some "quality" time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

Lahinch is a good place to go for a week in the summer, it has the beach, an aquarium and swimming pool (bring the gold card), heaps of holiday homes for rental. There is a sammy sharks play area in the aquarium as well, don't know how old your baby is, so not sure if it will be suitable. Close to cliffs of moher, doolin in north clare, you can take a day trip out to inis oirr.
    Good eateries in lahinch too, I have a soft spot for the Cornerstone.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I appreciate the help, we'll be having a good look through all the recommendations over the weekend. Is there still problems with the water?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks all. I appreciate the help, we'll be having a good look through all the recommendations over the weekend. Is there still problems with the water?
    I heard that there's a boil notice back in Ennis, I havn't drunk tap water since the initial warning, I would imagine that you'd be best getting bottled water for the baby at the minimum

I would certainly. I'm just thinking about washing dishes and all the associated paraphernalia.

I would certainly. I'm just thinking about washing dishes and all the associated paraphernalia.
    ahhh, we're not that bad (yet).

Only the very young and very old are at risk, at the height of the problem they adviced people not to use tap water for brushing their teeth, never anything about washing dishes and stuff like that

OKill dokily. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Tis only Ennis with the boil, notice, the rest of the county bar Kildysart is fine.
    Well according to the Clare Co Co site.
    My water is fine to drink (Quilty/Doonbeg)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The partial boil notice in Ennis also applies to visitors. Water would be fine for washing dishes, but I'd say don't drink it or use to wash teeth etc. You'd need to very careful with baby. Once you move outside of Ennis though there's no problems with the water.
    I'd say anywhere along the west coast would be a better bet and you're still not too far from anything, plus weather permitting you'd have the option of going to the beach/getting out for a walk and still be able to go back to your house if you need to look after baby, as depending on the age, it may not be practical to be out and about all day without the option of going back to the house.

Advertisement