Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave Fanning standing in for Tubridy.

• 19-02-2008 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else simply switch off/over at the first syllable of his tones?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah, he was grand about 15 years ago but has become ridiculously drony and even more scatter brained. He's been a disaster on drive time radio imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yep, tonked the off button as soon as the conversation went to Hollywood and films,which is the only subject he seems to be comfortable with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Managed about 10 minutes!

Which is about 9 and a half minutes more than I can stick Tubridy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

sudzs wrote: »
    Managed about 10 minutes!

Which is about 9 and a half minutes more than I can stick Tubridy!!

He was awlful on the IFTA's the other night. Hopefully he's gone skiing and he'll get the call. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I may have to backtrack:o In my avoidence of Heath Famine Day on Newstalk I listened to Fanning and it was perfectly okay, maybe it wss a good show for him to maybe the guests made if difference.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

On Thursday, he was interviewing Dr. Rory O'Hanlon TD about being a former Ceann Comhairle and still working as a politician at his age (I think in reference to John McCain in the US) and Dave asked him "what the gig was like?"

Yes, that was my reaction too.

I take it all back! :D

Fannings whole life has been a gig, poor lad can't connect with anything else.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Tubridy is the worst because he thinks he's funny and intelligent.Poor old Fanning has no such pretentions.

Hi Dave Fanning with you till ten o clack...... stummmmppppp squuuellllch

and meanwhile on Newstalk......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

yeah, tuned in, heard Dave, tuned straight out.

I recall him standing in for Gerry Ryan a few years back, interviewing some poor bastard. After a long monologue the interviewee said something along the lines of "if you're asking me, did I.........the answer is yes"

The whole interview was like that, Dave just couldnt ask a normal question.

• Advertisement

He's the Garth Crooks of Irish radio.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mike65 wrote: »
    He's the Garth Crooks of Irish radio.

Mike.

quoted in order to save for posterity. Superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

Ah I don't think he's that bad! :( Reminds me of being younger and hearing Pearl Jam and the likes on my ****ty little cube radio! ^^

Herein lies the difference.

Dave Fanning is passable if its just him and a CD player with tonnes of CD's. The problem is when he talks to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

DMC wrote: »
    Herein lies the difference.

Dave Fanning is passable if its just him and a CD player with tonnes of CD's. The problem is when he talks.

fixed that for ya ;)

Lol :D

:D

Jaysus motormouth is back again for Tubbo in July and beyond!!!

Ok lets see

0900-1000 Fanning, trying to show his knowledge of music and U2
    1000-1200 Wooden Dungan working in American history and military stuff into everything.
    1200-1300 Ronan Collins... radio by numbers like Odlums flour, format never varies

Holy Camole:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

There's always the king of radio..er..ummm...can't mention his name again because I promised but he 's on RTE1 radio from 1:45 until 3 pm.:D

1000-1200 Wooden Dungan working in American history and military stuff into everything.

Guess whats on right now?

/Throws radio across the room.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

Would you saddos ever take a step back and have a half decent look at yourselves for Christ sakes - this topic has about 10 posters having collectively posted over 50,000 messages to this board - 50,000 !!!

Some of you need to get out a bit more - get into the real world and get a job instead of throwing stones at those who have done just that

Why don't you guys get out there and make on to a national station and see what others say about YOU !!

and before you all start circling the wagons and blaming me for pointing this out to you (and not for the first time) - could YOU hack it at their level ? I'll bet NOT

• Advertisement

and your point is caller?

Mike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Booooooards Duffy.

Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Talk to Mike, 1850...

Anyway, who's the fella standing in for Fanning, I've heard him before but can't think of his name. Did he have a stint on Newstalk at some stage?

Stylo wrote: »
    Would you saddos ever take a step back and have a half decent look at yourselves for Christ sakes - this topic has about 10 posters having collectively posted over 50,000 messages to this board - 50,000 !!!

Some of you need to get out a bit more - get into the real world and get a job instead of throwing stones at those who have done just that

Why don't you guys get out there and make on to a national station and see what others say about YOU !!

and before you all start circling the wagons and blaming me for pointing this out to you (and not for the first time) - could YOU hack it at their level ? I'll bet NOT

Hiya horse,Whooooup

None of us are saying we could do better than the dudes mentioned.
    Where have we said that??

What I am saying is that RTE are foisting us with wooden shooite for the Summer while the HIGHLY PAID fcukers toast their balls inthe Sun.

I am paying for these gimps,and as such , am entitled to comment.

Capeche??

Stylo wrote: »

You haven't a clue.You're the saddo pal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fanning is the slimiest toad in the whole bucket of incestous Irish music scene toads.
    And always was.
    Fanning is the 2nd warmest farter in the whole circle of RTE warm farters. (Derek Davis is champion extrodinaire warm farter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Anyway, who's the fella standing in for Fanning, I've heard him before but can't think of his name. Did he have a stint on Newstalk at some stage?

Fella called Eoin Sweeney - aye, he was on newstalk years ago. did afternoon show pre Moncrieff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

humberklog wrote: »
    Fanning is the slimiest toad in the whole bucket of incestous Irish music scene toads.
    And always was.
    Fanning is the 2nd warmest farter in the whole circle of RTE warm farters. (Derek Davis is champion extrodinaire warm farter).

Good man Humbo...jeeze a man who I COMPLETELY agree with....Old DD has SOME charm though...that sleazeball Fannin....ZIP...

How old is he anyway...??? Ignore the hair dye....

:D

Jaysus motormouth is back again for Tubbo in July and beyond!!!

Ok lets see

0900-1000 Fanning, trying to show his knowledge of music and U2
    1200-1300 Ronan Collins... radio by numbers like Odlums flour, format never varies

Holy Camole:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Don't agree with much of your ****e Flubber ..but on this occasion ..top man !!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good man Humbo...jeeze a man who I COMPLETELY agree with....Old DD has SOME charm though...that sleazeball Fannin....ZIP...

How old is he anyway...??? Ignore the hair dye....
    DD has bags of charm ( And is top dog at letting off silent warm farts on a daytime couch of fluff-fillers) and can also ask a question without giving the answer. Something Fanning's ego wouldn't possibly allow him to do. God forbid the audience would ever get to the route of a question by an answer given by a guest. Fanning couldn't possibly have the audience thinking he didn't know the answer.
    I think he's 12. A kind of bastard twin of peter pan. Pan couldn't grow old. Fanning didn't grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Agree with original sentiment.

And Ronan Collins is off now, Lorcan whatsit in for him.

As for Dungan, last week, two WHOLE hours on the Hugh Lane Gallery. TWO WHOLE HOURS. Sweet mother of god, the Arts Show returns! kept waiting for him to change topic , but no, 2 WHOLE HOURS of it.

tampopo wrote: »
    Agree with original sentiment.

As for Dungan, last week, two WHOLE hours on the Hugh Lane Gallery. TWO WHOLE HOURS. Sweet mother of god, the Arts Show returns! kept waiting for him to change topic , but no, 2 WHOLE HOURS of it.

Lads lads..why are we surprised by what we get from the cattery ?? They just don't care and have these sinecure guys that they have to give an airing to ...just to get some return on their excessive salaries....I believe the amount of people who were over in the States "covering the primaries" was a total disgrace.
    To get back on thread - Fanning now believes his own publicity as a music GURU and trys to persevere with this motormout routine.

Not new dave - not nice dave...pack it in horse... for all our sakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The guy filling in for Joe Duffy is particularly bad...he makes Joe look like David Frost in comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Big Tone wrote: »
    The guy filling in for Joe Duffy is particularly bad...he makes Joe look like David Frost in comparison!

I don't think he's too bad, definitely better than Joe, and a million times better than that one wh filled in for him last time.

Have to agree with the topic of the thread though, HATE Dave Fanning and the way he waffles on. He makes Ryan Tubriday seem almost bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

On my way to work one morning (two months ago) I almost ran Ryan Tubriday over, when I got to work people said "Why didnt you?" lol

god's toy wrote: »
    On my way to work one morning (two months ago) I almost ran Ryan Tubriday over, when I got to work people said "Why didnt you?" lol

Hardly worth a smudge on the old motor wha ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Dave 'good man yerself' Fanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

There must be something wrong with me because I actually don't mind Dave Fanning :eek: Although I would be more inclined to pay attention to what the people he's talking to are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

tampopo wrote: »

Lorcan Murray be the man. A nice easy to listen to voice, sounds happy and friendly, a pleasant voice and he sits well in with RTE 1 chatty small talk style. But can the man go one hour on the radio without crashing vocals of the banal songs that he plays each and every time he fills in for RC? He is rotten for it and never seems to check it, 20 years after joining RTE radio:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

"URSULA! IT'S YOUR MOTHER ON THE PHONE!" :D

I like Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

DMC wrote: »
    Dave Fanning is passable if its just him and a CD player with tonnes of CD's.

Why do we always have to settle for what's there ?
    It's like as though there is no one else out there that would give their 'eye teeth' for an opportunity to broadcast on radio. Instead we are fed the same old tired aging 'djs' of a time 'far far away' and guess what, we accept it !
    Sad really......

• Advertisement
Advertisement