Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic

Options
  • 20-02-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

an assault rifle is defined as being capable of semi of full auto fire

or one that looks like it can.

So what does an automatic gun look like???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0geu6i0ZbtHRFEA07RXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&p=assault%20rifle&fp_ip=IE&SpellState=n-1563627801_q-8.m5SKt.zgjNUyJKtYXZVgAAAA%40%40&fr2=tab-web&fr=

Pretty good outline there.
    common features are large mags, removable stock, flash supressors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7493076@N07/sets/72157600027099452/

The above contails of of hi res close up shots of various elements of an assault rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

None of which is specified in the SI under "how to tell if something looks like an automatic rifle"...

I took it that it refered to firearms that come in both models.

Eg, the AK47 is banned as it is both semi and full auto
    The Models of AK47 that feature semi-auto only are also banned as they look the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

The M14 is select fire. It has a wooden stock and iron sights, a detachable magazine and sling swivels. Do rifles with some, any or all of these features 'resemble' an M14? Or is an M14 even covered, it is after all a battle rifle rather than an assault rifle? Hmm...

dimebag249 wrote: »
    it is after all a battle rifle rather than an assault rifle? Hmm...
    Don't let them here you say that. :D:D:D
    The most common distinction between a battle rifle and an assault rifle is that a battle rifle fires a full-power cartridge such as .30-06 (M1 Garand) or 7.62x51mm NATO (M14, H&K G3, many others). Assault rifles fire smaller, "intermediate" rounds such as 5.56x45mm (M16 family) or 7.62x39mm (AK47).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_rifle

joking aside, the resemble part is quite objective and I fail to see how anyone with out a knowledge of firearms could apply it.

• Advertisement

That's too loose a definition though mellor. For example, the M1 garand was semi-auto for most of WW2, but towards the end, they experimented with an automatic version (which led to the M14). Now, if I have a rifle that looks like the M1 or M14, but which is bolt-action or semi-auto only, is it restricted?
    For example:
    7.jpg
    m1garand.jpg

You and I might know the difference there - but would the average Garda? Just how closely must A resemble B in order for A to be restricted?

I agree sparks, thats my point in the second post. That is completely unclear, does have to resemble any full auto, or resemble the average full suto.
    that would be a legitimate grey area that should be cleared up. I think its far more confusing for a layperson than say the stock issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Mellor wrote: »
    Don't let them here you say that. :D:D:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_rifle

joking aside, the resemble part is quite objective and I fail to see how anyone with out a knowledge of firearms could apply it.

Is this an assault rifle??

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9935_13987_14246_14284&products_id=85588:D

In a technical defination, no. But since when has that applied to the firearms act, the crossbow is considered a firearm for example.
    But the above would be one that resembles the average assault rifle. As opposed to sparks gun above that resembles an M1/M14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

You know aswell as I do that it is a get out clause.

If you landed in to your local station looking for an M1 garand and they did not want to give it to you they would simply tell you it "looked like" an assault rifle and that would be that.

You would have recourse in the courts but in the unlikely event that you took it again it would be a get out clause for the judge also as they can also decide that it "looks like" an assault rifle.

Generally there a few things that will always make it look like an assault rifle -
    a) carrying handle - take it off - you do not need it.
    b) colour - if it's for stalking fair enough paint it camo - if it's for target then you do not need it to be black - get it painted luminous pink or some such - it will no longer look like an assault rifle.
    c) Banana magazines - you have nobody to blame but yourself.
    d) Removable stock - what possible need can you have for that?

B'Man

• Advertisement

See, that's the thing cavan - it's not an assault rifle according to what an assault rifle actually is. It's not an assault rifle according to clause (a) of the SI's definition; but because it resembles an M-16, it might be under clause (b). Even with a completely different calibre. Even with the different materials. And even though semi-auto rimfire rifles are not restricted. But that's not a definitive answer because it's impossible to give a definitive answer as the SI requires a subjective assessment and gives no guidelines on how to make that assessment.

Agh yes, good to see that we are now back to the

"I don't like the look of that":mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Agh yes, good to see that we are now back to the

"I don't like the look of that":mad:

but we are not

its you cant have because of the look of that , and its now in law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Generally there a few things that will always make it look like an assault rifle -
    a) carrying handle - take it off - you do not need it.
    b) colour - if it's for stalking fair enough paint it camo - if it's for target then you do not need it to be black - get it painted luminous pink or some such - it will no longer look like an assault rifle.
    c) Banana magazines - you have nobody to blame but yourself.
    d) Removable stock - what possible need can you have for that?

There is a bit of a problem with all of the above:

1) Normally the FO or super will not see the gun you are applying for. They just see the application form.

2) An RFD is not going to be very keen on you carrying out many of the above modifications. What does he do with the gun if you paint it pink and are then refused the FAC?

3) Assault style rifles dont do it for me, but if they did I would not be interested in them with the above modifications.
    If you landed in to your local station looking for an M1 garand and they did not want to give it to you they would simply tell you it "looked like" an assault rifle and that would be that.

I think you are 100% correct here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Lads, am I missing a point here ? As far as I knew you could hardly get semi-auto centerfire anyway, except for shotguns that is.

As far as I knew you could hardly get semi-auto centerfire anyway, except for shotguns that is.

That is incorrect. I know sevral people with .223 semi auto rifles in ROI that have proper FACs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Yep looks like you can have anything you like as long as you have a valid reason:D

Might tip down to uncle mikes grenade pit and look for membership, will also visit crazy bobs RPG range and enquire about membership also:D:D

fishdog wrote: »
    That is incorrect. I know sevral people with .223 semi auto rifles in ROI that have proper FACs.

Any idea what was the valid reason giving to the super for wanting a 223 semi?

Any idea what was the valid reason giving to the super for wanting a 223 semi?

A friend of mine that posts here has an AR15. He is a very active member of the IPSA and wants it for practical shooting and will be taking part in a level 3 competition with it in Germany soon, so I guess that is his reason.

fishdog wrote: »

I disagree, MS was right.
    Lads, am I missing a point here ? As far as I knew you could hardly get semi-auto centerfire anyway, except for shotguns that is.

He said hardly, not impossible. Your friend (plus the rest of the handful that have them) has one for a legit reason, target shooting at a level that requires one. So he got one, now that the gun would be restricted he should still get one, and he should retain it.

Regarding the assualt rifle looking .22lr above. I cannot think of any reason for this gun. Seriously, can somebody enlighten me. What advantage over a regular .22lr does it have?
    Is there any advantage, or is it purely aesthetical.

• Advertisement

I would agree with you Mellor and I shoot a 22 wmr in semi

I know that in the UK people can hold live firearms for re-enactment. At large events where shows are staged, weapons can be rented and blank ammo used. So if you were a viet-nam re-enactor a .22 M16 would be of ues or .22 AK. Depending on which side you were re-enacting ;)

I disagree, MS was right.

Ok he did not say impossible, you are correct. All I mean is that it clearly is possible for some people to get a semi auto centre fire rifle in the ROI with a licence.
    Your friend (plus the rest of the handful that have them) has one for a legit reason, target shooting at a level that requires one. So he got one, now that the gun would be restricted he should still get one, and he should retain it.

I am not so sure that it is only a handful. I do not have the figures myself. My impression (although it may be wrong) is that there are quite a few around. I assume that anyone that wants one can get one if they are deemed to have good enough reason, can provide adequate security and live in the right area.

I am not trying to be smart but for all firearms you are supposed to have a "legit reason" to have them in the first place. On the application for for any FAC there is a question that must be answered asking what you want the firearm for. The wrong answer here will guarantee that you wont get the FAC you are looking for.

After May this year it will just be one of many restricted firearms out there.
    Regarding the assualt rifle looking .22lr above. I cannot think of any reason for this gun. Seriously, can somebody enlighten me. What advantage over a regular .22lr does it have?

I can not understand the reason this type of firearm either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Is there any advantage, or is it purely aesthetical.
    I can not understand the reason this type of firearm either.
    I've got to say, I'm uncomfortable with this line of thinking.
    I say: "Why not?"

I want 'the powers that be' to tell me why the rifle in this example should be restricted (ie. difficult/practically impossible to license) as opposed to a Ruger 10/22, Anschutz 525, Marlin Model 60, or any other of the selection of semi-automatic rimfires out there.
    They've accepted that semi-automatic rimfires are perfectly licensable, so it can't be any more 'dangerous'.

As a law abiding citizen (with any amount of club memberships, shooting qualifications, and an alarm/security system that a bank would be proud of), why shouldn't I be able to purchase such a firearm for any/all of the purposes to which any other .22 semi-automatic rimfire is put now: hunting/plinking/target shooting?

I can possess a 50" television set or a car capable of doing 200mph.
    Just because some (or even many) people are of the opinion that no-one 'needs' a 50" television or a 200mph car, is that any reason why someone that 'wants' such a thing should be prohibited from doing so?

While I'm on a roll, the same goes for centrefires.
    Centrefire firearms are licensable, as are semi-automatics; are the two in combination somehow inherently 'eeevil'?

If, as I deeply suspect, this is all about aesthetics (idontlikedalookodat), are they planning to 'restrict' everything that 'looks like' a machine gun (which would be the logical thing to do)?
    I can see a lot of toy shops and the airsoft lads getting well pissed off when this starts being enforced.

I think you missed my point Rovi,
    I wasn't agreeing with the restriction based on aesthetics,
    I was asking about that gun used as an example? As in, if that is restricted due to its looks, would anyone be affected, is there any reason for that paticular .22lr
    Im not refering to all guns that may be restricted due to their looks, there are many legit guns that resemble M1s for example.

I wasn't agreeing with the restriction based on aesthetics
    Same here.

I don't think that's quite what Rovi meant to be honest. And if I've understood him right, he's very correct - there's no point in the legislation looking for a need for a particular firearm (at least without a lot more definition of what they mean by need), when the rest of the body of law and case law and precendent and garda statements and published rules, etc all tries to make it very clear that the authorities do not believe the ordinary citizen will ever need a firearm. They may want one for hunting/target shooting/vermin control/etc, but that's not a need.

It's a slippery slope to be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Indeed; Sparks summed up what I'm getting at perfectly.

While we in the shooting sports debate among ourselves the utility of one particular firearm over another for whatever legal purpose we choose to pursue, there are plenty of people out there who are strongly of the opinion that no-one (civilians, at least) 'needs' a firearm of any kind for any purpose.

I shoot targets (paper, steel, and clay) and hunt a bit; do I 'need' to do any of these things? No.
    Do I 'want' to do these things? Yes.

As such, I feel that the word 'need' is a very dangerous one from our point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Have to agree with Rovi on this one. For example, I have a ruger 10/22. It has a bog standard factory wooden stock on it. Looks nice and normal! But if I wanted to buy one of these to dress it up a bit:

http://www.combatstocks.com/TAPCO_Fusion_System_for_Ruger_10_22_STK63160B.cfm

There's nothing to stop me, as collapsible/adjustable RIFLE stocks are not on the restricted list. But does my rifle now resemble an assault rifle and is, by implication, then restricted? Madness.

(PS In my opinion the stock above looks f**king hideous! But i'm just making a point with it)

• Advertisement

Why do I get the feeling, that this will end up in more court rooms? It seems to me it will just fall back to the same old way of doing things. If your in an area where the super/commish is an understanding man all will be OK. But god help anyone who lives in an area where the super/commish is anti gun :o

Advertisement