Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Street

Options
  • 20-02-2008 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Does anyone know if its true the college is trying to shut down the students union in college street?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I only got told this tonight, I have no details apart from there is a march on Thursday at 12 starting at College St. and heading to Cork Rd. campus to protest against it. All students are asked to take part.

Ill try get an update tomorrow regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

What reason or authority would they have to do that. Cork rd campus myself but it makes n difference every campus needs a student union.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm not to sure if its the college that controls it, but its due to lack of funding being available to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I was talking to a lecturer( based in the good shepperds about this ) . And he said that its the students union that is leaving that campus because they were not being used at all.

I was talking to a lecturer( based in the good shepperds about this ) . And he said that its the students union that is leaving that campus because they were not being used at all.

Now that is a revelation:O But that is actually a real shock bacause the students union in the cork rd campus is under alot of use all the time that alot of the time you have to wait because the students union reps are in a meeting or busy with another student. I just couldn't see it not being utilised.
    I'm not to sure if its the college that controls it, but its due to lack of funding being available to run it.

Sure is there really that much money to run it. The office was always there i presume like if it is on campus and its only really the staff and maybe some office utensils that have to be paid for.That hardly amounts to that much as one of the reps told us the money they are paid is nothing special.Seems odd! Maybe we'll hear more soon.

• Advertisement

Okay I got this mess clarified. Its basically a rumour.

The Students Union office in College St. is NOT being closed down. The two staff members in there at the moment were told while the office is closed in the summer they wont be paid. They were given two packages and they chose the redundancy package.

The two staff members will now be replaced. The march should no longer be going ahead.

Good man yet again sully!

Advertisement